Sign in to follow this  
Rod G

Reaper Chess

6 minutes ago, Rod G said:

I'm interested in doing a chess set using Reaper Miniatures.

Recommendations please.

There are many possibilities.

Which races do you like?

You could pit Undead against Crusaders or Goblins against Elves for example.

There are mounted minis that can be used as horses. Clerics/ wizards could be the bishops.

Etc etc..

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

There are many possibilities.

Which races do you like?

You could pit Undead against Crusaders or Goblins against Elves for example.

There are mounted minis that can be used as horses. Clerics/ wizards could be the bishops.

Etc etc..

For the time being, let's settle for Human vs Human.

(Good vs Evil or both sides neutral in alignment.)

Question: Any recommendations for Rooks?

Edited by Rod G
Addition
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rod G said:

I'm surprised there isn't an elven chess set.

Me too.  I guess it randomly depends on what people have rustled up in the past, that and my ability to dig through old threads.

I'm pretty sure there's been more discussion than I can scare up, but not necessarily in an easy to find, simple format.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rod G said:

I would look at the golems.  Something like the Bones 3 Graveyard Golem might go rather nicely with the bad guys, while the Bones 3 Iron Golem might work well with the good guys.

My other thought would be the elementals.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rod G said:

For the time being, let's settle for Human vs Human.

(Good vs Evil or both sides neutral in alignment.)

I mentioned this guy earlier.

Since it is a Bones mini you could easily cut the figure off the castle base, and replace it with any mini you'd like.

It will have a castle stoneworks base then.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/castle/sku-down/77303

For a Rook use an Archer figure that matches the faction chosen for the rest of the pieces. Build a platform (or use the one Xherman suggested) for the Archer to stand in. The more it looks like a Belfrey (siege tower) the better. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

For a Rook use an Archer figure that matches the faction chosen for the rest of the pieces. Build a platform (or use the one Xherman suggested) for the Archer to stand in. The more it looks like a Belfrey (siege tower) the better. 

Not a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 2:01 PM, Rod G said:

I'm surprised there isn't an elven chess set.

The biggest problem with an Elven Chess set is trying to limit selection.  I started trying to do a Frostgrave Warband with Elves... and just locating all of the different ones and then sifting them for different types was mind boggling.  But, in another year, when I get ready to do the chess set for my brother, I have all of the figures in a pre-sorted order that will make them easier to find for what I want.  I just haven't made the choices yet...

• Like 4