6 minutes ago, Rod G said:

I'm interested in doing a chess set using Reaper Miniatures.

Recommendations please.

There are many possibilities.

Which races do you like?

You could pit Undead against Crusaders or Goblins against Elves for example.

There are mounted minis that can be used as horses. Clerics/ wizards could be the bishops.

Etc etc..

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Xherman1964 said:

There are many possibilities.

Which races do you like?

You could pit Undead against Crusaders or Goblins against Elves for example.

There are mounted minis that can be used as horses. Clerics/ wizards could be the bishops.

Etc etc..

For the time being, let's settle for Human vs Human.

(Good vs Evil or both sides neutral in alignment.)

Question: Any recommendations for Rooks?

Edited by Rod G
Addition
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pingo said:

A few threads on the topic:

I'm surprised there isn't an elven chess set.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rod G said:

Me too.  I guess it randomly depends on what people have rustled up in the past, that and my ability to dig through old threads.

I'm pretty sure there's been more discussion than I can scare up, but not necessarily in an easy to find, simple format.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rod G said:

I would look at the golems.  Something like the Bones 3 Graveyard Golem might go rather nicely with the bad guys, while the Bones 3 Iron Golem might work well with the good guys.

My other thought would be the elementals.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rod G said:

For the time being, let's settle for Human vs Human.

(Good vs Evil or both sides neutral in alignment.)

I mentioned this guy earlier.

Since it is a Bones mini you could easily cut the figure off the castle base, and replace it with any mini you'd like.

It will have a castle stoneworks base then.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/castle/sku-down/77303

For a Rook use an Archer figure that matches the faction chosen for the rest of the pieces. Build a platform (or use the one Xherman suggested) for the Archer to stand in. The more it looks like a Belfrey (siege tower) the better. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

For a Rook use an Archer figure that matches the faction chosen for the rest of the pieces. Build a platform (or use the one Xherman suggested) for the Archer to stand in. The more it looks like a Belfrey (siege tower) the better. 

Not a bad idea.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 2:01 PM, Rod G said:

The biggest problem with an Elven Chess set is trying to limit selection.  I started trying to do a Frostgrave Warband with Elves... and just locating all of the different ones and then sifting them for different types was mind boggling.  But, in another year, when I get ready to do the chess set for my brother, I have all of the figures in a pre-sorted order that will make them easier to find for what I want.  I just haven't made the choices yet...

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DragonWyrm
      Since I like painting when it is dark outside I normally don't take photos, to combat this and get into the habit I am starting this thread. I will post some of my recent work, including things that are 95% done and are only missing a base. Some of the photos may not be the best, but they should suffice. 

Any advice and criticism is welcome.

So let us get started:

An old Pandora Metal starter set from Malifaux (and some Victoria Miniatures):
      The skin for the baby was done using Mars Violet (PR101), Nickel Titanate Yellow (PY53) and Titanium White (PW6). I may have also used Titanium Buff (PW6:1)

The litle girl is sculpted with a basket full of candy, but since she is holding some scissors I decided to make it arts and crafts materials and a mirror. I went for a Black, Red and White colour scheme do to the spade on her shirt which reminded me of cards.

The black is painted using Titanium White and Perylene Black (PBk31, which is green-ish in glazes and when tinted with white), I also decided against priming the figure and used the metalic to my advantage by glazing the Perylene over it.
      The redish colour is created by mixing some Quinacridone Magenta(PR122) with Red Iron Oxide(PR101).
      The mirror was done with Prussian Blue (PB27, I just love how it behaves. Only one of the manufacterurs, Matise, that I can get locally sells it in acrylics due to the the pigment chemicaly reacting with the acrylic binders), and Titanium White. 
      The white cloth was done using Titanium White, Nickel Titanate Yellow and some Burnt Umber (PBr7).
      Skin and wood is a mixture of Red Iron Oxide, Burnt Umber, Nickel Titanate Yellow and Titanium White/Buff.

Vampire sending little girl to collect blood with those scissors:

As you can see she is tiny.

Some Reaper Bones, mostly from Bones 4:

Comments on them:
      - The monk and scribe were fun to paint.
      - The death statue was so nice I decided to make it a summon instead, with otherworldy energy showing throught the cracks.
      - The old lady with a cane had her dress done by glazzing colours (ohh look I could make it behaved similar to contrast paints for a litteral fraction of the cost. AU$10 for 60mL of paint + AU$20 for 237mL of glaze medium + some dish soap/flow improver, wonder how many cidatel pots I can make with that especially with the contrast costing about $AU12 per 30mL pot)
      - The pillar has some meted bodies flondering in pain, fun to paint.
      - The Red/Black lady is some Pyrole Red (PR254) + Cerulean Blue(PB35) , and Perylene Black + Titanium White, the skin is made of Mars Violet and Titanium White. Similar to the vampire lord with little girl.
      - Fish lady has a pipe in her hat.

Some minor conversion
      My dreadmare herbalist arrived without the cylinder, I personally didn't really like that design choice so I decided not to ask for a replacement. Instead I was going to do some "magic".

First the gap was filled with some green stuff. This involved resculpting some of the satchel on her frock, the sides of her frock, some skirt and the bag strap.
      =

Then I painted the dress and blocked in some of the colours. 
      Dress: Ultramarien Blue (PB29) + Titanium White
      Frock and shoes: Raw Umber(PBr7), Titanium White and Yellow Ochre(PY43)
      Bag, hedgehogs and hair: Raw Umber .

After a working on and of on her she is mostly finished:

The bag recieved a glaze of Quinacridone Violet (PV19) after it was highlighted with Titanium White + Yellow Ochre +Raw Umber.
      Greens are Ultramarine Blue mixed with different yellows, the minty green is made by Ultramarine Blue and Nickel Titanate Yellow.
      Red is some Red Iron Oxide and Cadmium Red Medium (PR108).
      You may be able to see the eyes and nose of the hedgehogs.
      Perylene Black was used for the metalics.
      I tried to give her some freckles, they look good from the front but I am not sure if I am to happy with one of the side looks. 
      The flower was Nickle Titanate Yellow + Titanium White glazed with Indian Yellow (PY139).

Practice With FreeHand
      I did some freehand practice on the Bones 4 milkmaid:

This was achieved by first drawing a square with some diluted Perylene Black and then convering everthing inside and oustide it with thin layers of titanium white.
      The forest was first drawn by just when blending some Prussian Blue, Titanium white and a yellow. The Perylene Black may also have been used.
      The mountain was draw with some Prussian Blue and white, this was grayed with some orangy colour which I can't remember. A lighters glaze was used on the sky. Luckily this blended with the snow covered top of the mountain so I outlined the mountain with the same orange I used to gray the prussian. Then I glazed some Indian Yellow up from the mountain. This created an effect that I really enjoyed (didn't really make vissible green due to the sky being a greyed blue). The top of the dress looked a little empry so I painted a titanium white cloud that had a shadow of the deep grayed prussain at the top and a reflection of the orange at the bottom.

The freehand is the centre piece so I did not want to detract from it with the rest of the paint job.
      To do this I made the dress a desaturated green, but found it to be to empty by itself. 
      To make it pop a little more I drew a patern on it by mixing the dress colour with a lot of Titanium White and then diluting that with some flow improve and lots of water. Then I sketched the lines with the highly translucent mixture. To further highlighty the stripes which were lost in the folds of the dress (bad locaiton choice on the vertical stripes) I decided to make a higher Titanium White mixture that had less water and dot that in each line intercept.
      Now the model is drying (mostly finished) and if the weather permits I will have some nice pictures "Soon". 

Eureka Minatures
      Such characterful miniatures they produce, I will probably spurge for some more on my birthday.

1st Picture: Some duelists. One of them is so secure in his victory he is holding his folded cloak in one hand, or is he hidding something there?
      2nd Picutre: An older lady feeding some chickens, currently missing chickens.
      3rd Picture: has some muscians, I did not take a close up of all of them. They each have their own chairs and sheet music. There are 4 dogs, 2 of them are holding buckets with something in them. 2 chickens, a rooster and 2 chicks
      4th-6th Pictures: musician closeups.
      7th Picture: That lady behind the cow did something so scandalous that the lady further back started chocking, requiring her friend to help. Otherways is just 2 milkmaids, one milking a cow and there is a really curious auroch bull looking at the bucket.
      8th Picture: I am not sure if blowing a seashell horn into the ear of a person is a bright idea, especially if they are dressed like that and holding a scepter staff while you only have a loincloth. The scepter is quiet heavy and a nice weapon, just a warning.

Churning some Butter
      One of the Eureka Miniatures is this boy, he is not that small but still recognisable as a child (goes up to around the shoulder of adult miniatures, so if we take into acount the base of the vampire lord he is only up to underneath his arm.)

The chemise is painted using some glazes of Transparent Red Oxide (PR101) and Burnt Umber over a base coat of Titanium White and Yellow Ochre. Everything but the close and hair has a basecoat of Burnt Umber.
      The shirt is some greyed out (I think I used Transparent Red Oxide in this case) Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White.
      The trouses are Nickle Titanate Yellow, Ultramarine Blue and some Titanium White (they may have been greyed out a little with Transparen Red Oxide). The trim of his trouses is Mars Violet with some Titanium White.

Grumpydot
      Now this old lady is telling us to get off her lawn, so I brightened up her day by splattering her pinkish dress with some dots.

The pink was made out of Cadmium Red Medium and Titanium White. This mixture was further lightened out with Titanium White to make the dots (lots of water with flow aid used to make them nice an easy to paint).

The lady was still grumpy so maybe she did not like those dots? Too late for her then since htey are staying, instead lets give her some stripes. 

Her under-dress was painted a dark green (forgot the mixture, it may have involved some Ivory Black (PBk9) and Green Gold(PY129)) and the stripes were painted using some Nickle Titanate Yellow, Titanium White and the green mixture. To make them stand out more the shadows were glazed with some Perylene Black (I think it was that).
      Some Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Nickle Titanate Yellow and Titanium White were used to paint the wood,shoes and headscarf.  
      Her hair was painted using Perylene/Ivory Black and Titanium White.

Reaper Speakers

Now this is not the best pictures, the hair looks washed out (it has far deeper shadows than what is seen here). The hair for left and middle is Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre and Titanium white mixtures. The metalics were some Vallejo Liquid Metal "writing rubbed out" Gold. Either old gold or red gold, but sadly my bottle has the name of the colour rubbed out. 

The right lady, had her dress painted by first making a grisalis of Titanium White and Ivory Black, this was then glazed with Pthalo Blue (PB15:3).
      Her yellow decoration where painted using Nickle Titanate Yellow and Titanium White glazed with Indian Yellow.
      Inner Dress was a mmixture of Prussian Blue and either some Nickle Titanate Yellow or Titanium Buff.
      Hair were washes/glazes of Transparent Red Oxide, Indian Yellow and Burnt Umber.
      The book has some squigles that you can see in real life, but didn't come out in the picture.

The middle lady has a dress of Hanza Yellow Light (PY3) and Pthalo Green (PG 7) which I think is the blue shade. 
      I can't remember her inner dress.

The leftmost lady is painted using OILS, it took her a while to dry, but I just love how using Prussian Blue and then wiping the top came out for her dress. The inner dress is painted with Green Gold. Her scepter handle is some Quinacridone Magenta and white. 

Some of my slowly "Speed" painted Handgunners

I spent about 10-20 minutes on the skin of each figure and then left them bare. Over the course of the last month when I finished doing some painting and had some colour left I would take one of the figure and start blocking in a section of their attire, all sections, but the skin, are highlighted with Colour used+ Titanium White. Overall I would Say that each figure took me about 30-60 minutes of paint time. There are still 2 models left (double of each sculpt). 

1:72 scale Freehand

This guy is about the same hight as the butter churning boy, except he is a lot thinner (somewhat realistic proportions), I allready finished painting him. Sadly I don't have a photo of him right now, so the onnly thing I can show you is that I painted stripes on his throuses. The throuses and cape are Cerulean Blue and Titaniym White, The stripes are heavily diluted Perylene Black. 
    • By planetmut
      “...and I, Colonel Duke Jones, stand on the surface of Mars for all of humankind and in the spirit of exploration that’s taking our species beyond its Earthly bounds. And I’m lighting this cigar to celebrate a successful mission.”

“Haha. Good speech, Duke. You're the first human in 76 years to stand on the surface of another planet. How’s it feel to be further from Earth than any other human being?”

“Pretty good, Pioneer. It’s humbling and really gives a sense of perspective. The air is thin but breathable. Those terraforming guys did a great job. Hey, the camera’s working, right? This is being broadcast back to Earth?”

“Yep, it's all good. There's a delay but they're getting it. Audience figures are even bigger than Kim Kardashian’s state funeral, so well done!”

“How do things look from up there in orbit?”

“We’re all good, just watching you and keeping an eye on your vitals.”

“OK, Pioneer. I’m gonna have another puff on this cigar and—”

“Duke, sorry to break in, but Jim just had an idea. The Earth is directly behind you. Could you turn around so we can get a shot of you looking back at it?”

“Sure thing, Pioneer.”

“How’s this?”

“That's just perfect, Duke. Everything’s A-OK.”

“Good to know, Pioneer. We're still live, right?”

“We certainly are. Jim, you owe me fifty dollars.”
    • By planetmut
      It had been a difficult and exhausting journey. Zarion Bloodnail, scourge of the Sotha Wastes, defiler of Fruaq Ciliasan, sworn enemy of the Khalolies, had slain innumerable challengers to be here now, at this precise moment, to perform his annual vigil to the one — the only one — who had almost bested him. The blood of the last Llirid who'd stood in his way still dripped from Bloodnail's ancient battleaxe.

Finally he was here, standing at the site of one of his fiercest battles, the sun's weak light barely illuminating his soul-black armour. The skeleton of Utto Nosk, a worthy Cuccerine warrior whom Bloodnail barely bested after hours of shattering combat, lay on the blasted heath. His mighty sword Soulrapier, now rusted and useless, was still where Bloodnail had impaled it in the cursed ground of Verm-Ont once Nosk had finally fallen.

“Once more I stand above you,” Bloodnail said, gazing with some sadness at Nosk's bleached bones while remembering that fight, now decades in the past. “You fought valiantly and died with honour. I have never since encountered a warrior of your skill these past 30 years, and I regret that I never will again. People in this new age are weak and cowering. You, old friend, were of a dying breed, and I fear that I am the last of that breed. Our kind will never be seen again in this world once I am gone.”

Suddenly, a fleeting vision crossed his mind, a vision that filled him with dread as he stood over Nosk's remains.

Beneath his cloven helm, its eyeslits glowing with pale eldritch light, Bloodnail's brow crinkled in thought.

“No. It cannot be,” he murmured, staring into the distance at the mist-shrouded Esternon Mountains. He concentrated, casting his mind back, trying to remember...

“Did I leave the gas on?”

EDIT: No one's spotted the Verm-Ont joke? (the figure is on an unfinished Vermont jigsaw)

• By Devil Inside Productions
      Hell Awaits... Wave 5 - This time featuring some Lesser Key of Solomon Goetia inspired Demons

Here's the link to the Kickstarter for anyone who might be interested:
      Wave 5

Thanks for looking!
    • By planetmut
      While walking down the street last week, Charlie saw a guy standing on the corner holding a sign and thought he was a bit nuts. This week, Charlie steps over the same sign while shambling down the street. Charlie is in no state to see the irony in this, which is a shame as old Charlie would have found it very amusing. He's also in no state to remember eating most of the guy who was holding the sign.

(The second pic with the sign is in the spoiler, as it contains a word that sounds a lot like "clucking")

• Who's Online   37 Members, 1 Anonymous, 175 Guests (See full list)