Sign in to follow this  
PurpleLlama

Darksword miniatures: Male Warrior w/ Greatsword

I'm going to be playing in a second D&D group starting in a couple of weeks so I decided to get started on painting up my new character.  I'm using darksword miniatures male warrior as my 2-handed vengeance paladin.  It's really the only two handed weapon sculpt I could find that I really liked.

I decided to just leave him on his base with how the sword is.  I had to assemble the hand with the sword as there were two options for weapons, the greatsword and a great axe.  

Mold lines really weren't too bad.

IMG_1509.thumb.JPG.b520597e0c41236175b6b2a66c38a3b7.JPG

IMG_1510.thumb.JPG.2976a660d93a90f3225e17aff6cb9e5d.JPG

I decided to go with a red cloak since he's going to be from the order of the gilded eye.  Their symbol looks to be a red background with a white gauntlet with an eye on the fist.  I don't think I'm going to add the symbol to the cloak.  Maybe if he had a shield I would give some freehand a try.

IMG_1517.thumb.JPG.af1103ceb2f2fdb5851aeb718f9a908f.JPG

IMG_1518.thumb.JPG.ad0248de1c14326df07b102667acd178.JPG

Most of the base base coating is completed and I got started on the eyes. The armor I base coated a dark grey as I plan to highlight up from there to make the armor white.  So the only areas the base coat should be showing is the shaded areas.  I might add or subtract some gold details on the armor as I progress.  Also the boots seem like they should be leather the more that I look at the details.

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.6df5ec8e5dc342bfca8500cecbe01f1c.JPG

IMG_1526.thumb.JPG.9d76eb26bdd73daae6e83d38bd59f2a6.JPG

IMG_1529.thumb.JPG.8ddf83d09f72b35fbe5638b80bb5356d.JPG

IMG_1530.thumb.JPG.5b693e437738c8fb3ce4120626a56826.JPG

For the most part they don't look too bad.  I'm going to try and get the black outline a little thinner when I do the skin.  Also the left eye is a little larger than the right, but I don't think it looks too bad.  I'm undecided on touching it at this point because I don't want to really mess it up.

Edited by PurpleLlama
  • Like 17

That's a really cool looking mini. Your planned paint scheme also sounds great. Looking forward to this.

• Like 2

Wow that's a pretty cool mini, I haven't seen that one yet. I'm going to vote for leather boots too after looking at them a couple times.

Do you still play UO?

• Like 3

I haven't played UO in a very long time.  Probably since early 2000's.  I remember playing the original game though before they brought out Felucca and up until third dawn.  I switched over to Dark Age of Camelot when that came out.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the compliments and encouragement!  I really like this mini and hopefully I'll do it justice.

So I cleaned up what should and shouldn't be armor last night.  I ended up using the stock picture off DSM's website to help sort things out.  I also finished base coats on everything except the sword handle.  I was cleaning up when I saw it needed done.

I also worked on the armor and started highlighting it up.  I'm thinking it might need some glazes to even out the color transitions and try and make it look more like armor.  I'm also not sold on the gold parts I have painted on his legs.  I'm thinking those should probably go white.  Still undecided. 

IMG_1533.thumb.JPG.ea22596d92a2533c8076f5a2c10ab897.JPG

IMG_1534.thumb.JPG.3e53694e57852092e0e102772264aef0.JPG

IMG_1535.thumb.JPG.dc235a8e09cefc7529eb5aec59596765.JPG

IMG_1537.thumb.JPG.8385361ff22bb359e2fadbcd28c806f3.JPG

• Like 10

Finally had a chance to do some more work.  Gloves and boots mostly finished.  Armor is finished up.  Still need to highlight the sleeves and pants a little more.  Still need to go back and re highlight the sword and gold parts on the armor.  Face is probably next on my list to do. Still quite a bit of work left to do.  Hopefully I'll be able to get more done this week.

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

• Like 7

23 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

You're doing an excellent job on this fellow!

Thanks uber!  The white is definitely a first and I feel like something just seems off with it.  Most everything else I'm pretty happy with.

Tonight I went ahead and finished up the cloak.  I used a little bit of purple nightshade with VGC Scarlett red for the shadows.  From there I highlighted up to VGC bloody red.  I'm pretty happy overall with the cloak.  Still have the sword, face and hair to finish up.  Hopefully one more night of painting and I'll just about be finished up.

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rahz
      Another 3D print that I’m working on, this time a big one.  I’ve shied away from buying/printing dragons for the most part as I have a ton of amazing Reaper ones still to paint (or finish... ) but this one was a freebie of sorts from one of the creators I follow on Patreon.  

In keeping with my clear resin tricks, I whipped up the base really quickly and then stalled on how I was going to paint the actual dragon...  oops!  

I masked off the crystals and plugged the holes for the feet and primed it with a mix of brown and grey Vallejo primers, drybrushed it with a tan followed by a tan mixed with white and then it got a series of Vallejo model washes (green, grey and dark brown).  I then peeled off the mask and gave the crystals a quick coat with Tamiya Clear Green.  

For the actual dragon, the plan now is to paint the heavier scales like the base with the softer belly and flesh being brown.  

Like my recent plague doctor bust, I masked his eyes so they will be the same green as the crystals on his base.  I toyed with putting a light in his head as well, but seems to be doing that to everything all of a sudden, and skipped it.  

in case you’re wondering about the pink, that’s what mixing the Vallejo red and grey primers did. The base was that colour before the drybrush and washes. 

Hoping to get some more work on the brown and get the drybrush done on his scales this weekend.  That’s going to be a lot of drybrushing!! 

Thanks for looking.  
    • By MoonglowMinis
      So for awhile now I've had this goal, nay, this desire, nay, this primal compulsion to build a boat.  It is not enough to have hand drawn maps, or 2D terrain tiles.  I need a fully functioning 3D boat!  Well, maybe not fully functioning.  But I want to build a cool boat!

I've been working on a nautical campaign full of swashbuckling, sailing, and sea monsters for a few years now.  It's my White Whale project.  Always just on the horizon.  It'll happen some day, but in the meantime, I have a million small projects to complete and extend the chase.  One of which is my desire to build a few different sized ships to enliven any possible naval combat.

I actually attempted this about two years ago, just winging it and making some measurements and throwing them at some craft supplies.  I wanted a cheap option that wasn't too difficult to repeat that way I wouldn't be discouraged from making multiple ships.  So I limited it to cheap crafting materials like foamcore, wooden dials, popsicle sticks, and thumbtacks.  And the result wasn't  bad.  Especially for my first attempt at any kind of terrain building.

It actually turned out rather nice!  To my surprise.  But I got hung up on mast and sail designs and never finished.

The wood on the deck had 2x1in grid carved into it for easier D&D use.

and the figurehead was designed to be modular.

However, overtime the boat collected dust and little scratches.  I should have given it a coat of mod podge or sealant of some kind, but never did.  And eventually it had an unfortunate run in with an injured owl that we took in for a night.

Here's the little devil himself.

Anyways, I put this project on the back burner for long enough and feel inspired to dive back in.  Especially with a certain Bones ship on the Horizon that I'm still on the fence about getting.  I was doing some browsing on the web and recently found this wonderful little blog complete with loose instructions and a plan from a now defunct wargamming site.  The blog creator had found the old plan and adapted it to build something using most of the same materials I have already stockpiled. 

There's a few choices that I like better than my first attempt so I think I'm going to use this as some inspiration as I give this boat thing another go.

My hold up now is still those darn masts.  The original plan above used wood and required drilling out holes for the masts.  The blogger use foam for his ship and found random bits of tubing to house his masts.  I could try to find something random like that, but I was hoping to find something simpler for easy repetition.  And I would also like to keep the masts loose so they can be removed for easy storage, or to swap out the sails.  Any thoughts?

Any resources, tips, recommendations are very welcome!  I'll post back here with any updates.

• By 72moonglum
      Hello fine fans and lovers of the Reaper Miniature World!

So today I've got two figures to post. I'd do them together, but different sculptors and different genres.

The first one is an old Julie Guthrie figure from the eighties, Woman Warrior With Two Swords.  I think she came in a box from the range "the Adventurers", which was full of female player characters.

So here she is:

In one of Anne's podcasts, she was doing non-metal metal and I'd asked her about her base colors and she suggested more grey as opposed to a blue beginning, so with this figure and her metals, I started out with Rainy Grey instead of Ashen Blue which is what I normally use.  I think she came out pretty decently, even though of course I'm never satisfied with my own work.  Such is the curse of the painter....

Anyhoos, hope you enjoy her, a very fun and basic figure.  One of the reason I like old school minis as I've mentioned before.  She strapped on her armor, grabbed her blades and took off.  No ladening herself with bags, sacks and knick knacks.

• By Wroberts316
      my second miniature! I finished this about a month ago, but my matte finish finally came in so it is truly complete on the painting front. I'll be making a base once I get into my new house, so once I get started on that I'll add more pictures. 

• By Glitterwolf
      Artisan Guild Gryphkin Set.
      ( more options possible hands/weapons are modular)
      These are 3D prints I printed on the Elegoo Mars.

Gryphina
      ( WARNING LINKED FOR NUDITY)

https://i.postimg.cc/nh8xSSsJ/20200807-162214.jpg

Infiltrators

High Gryphkin Archer

• Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)