Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Darcstaar

Rise of the Runelords

Recommended Posts

IMG_4629.thumb.PNG.04d87457c04cc30ab961bd25af51b3fc.PNG

 

Rise of the Runelords, Anniversary Edition 

Paizo Publishing

First Printing 2012

Utilizing rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, related to OGL 1.0a

James Jacobs et al

IMG_4630.PNG.cd94dd47c63e7e6d877efd31c251b47d.PNGIMG_4631.PNG.1ef12c0f3a0b8f04006d7f46a09ff6f7.PNG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You all individually made your way to Sandpoint, in Varisia, along the Lost Coast, Northeast of Magnimar.  Some of you have only been here for a few days.  Others of you have been here for months or longer.

 

Today is a momentous day for the small town.  Today is a day of celebration.  Today is the Swallowtail Festival.  This year, the Swallowtail Festival is being used to celebrate the dedication of Sandpoint Cathedral.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Before the celebration begins in earnest, a crier gets the attention of the crowd, drawing all eyes to the central stage and podium.  Mayor Deverin is first to give a welcome speech, friendly and light-hearted, she welcomes everyone to make merry.  She jokes how even Lars Rovanki, the local tanner and tireless workaholic took time off today and has been spotted in the crowd.  Games of skill and chance, free food sponsored by the many inns and taverns of the town, hawkers selling their wares, and a modest beer garden are just some of the ways Festival-Goers can expect to spend the day.

 

The jovial mood is sobered briefly when Sheriff Hemlock takes the podium.  A large Shoanti with a dour expression, he suggests that the crowd remember with a moment of silence the events of several years ago when the prior church burned down in the Sandpoint Fire.  He entreats the crowd to be careful around tonight's bonfire!

 

The crier then announces the next to speak Lonjiku Kaijitsu.  After a brief pause, a messenger whispers in the crier's ear.  The crier regrettably informs the crowd that Lonjiku is ill and could not attend.  Someone in the crowd chuckles and says in a moderate voice "he's allergic to having a good time!"  That gets a raucous laugh from the crowd.

 

An audaciously attired man boisterously pushes his way up to the podium.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyrdak Drokkus, Sandpoint's resident showman, takes the podium.  He's charming and silver tongued, and soon had the crowd laughing riotously with his colorful stories and near-vulgar anecdotes.  He lists a string of probably-false means by which the city came up with the funds to rebuild the church.  Many locals are in tears, a few go pale and wide-eyed, and a few Scarnettis sneer and scowl.  He concludes his speech with an overtly shameless plug... "Everyone come to the Sandpoint Theater tomorrow for The Harpy's Curse.  The lead role of Avisera will be played by none other than The stunning Magnimarin diva Allishanda!"  Cyrdak then walks off stage.

 

He is replaced by a humble looking priest.   Father Zantus steps forward to give a short speech before declaring the Swallowtail Festival underway!

 

IMG_4630.PNG.0f63c0b18df5fb2869d9a818dbe3bab9.PNGIMG_4631.PNG.ffe1105cb79eef5bedb694728d048bb2.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone want to play any games?

 

Bow archery, crossbow archery, javelin throwing, axe throwing, dagger throwing, arm wrestling, padded wooden sword and shield sparring, pie eating contest, 3 Card Monte, and the mallet whack bell with the bell at the top of an enormous Ogre painting.

 

(These games are a nice chance to get to know each other)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicholai, having recent arrived, give thanks to Erastil for the good fortune of arriving in time for the festival.  Such an display of community must surely be pleasing to Old Deadeye. 

 

And being a faithful adherent of a god whose symbol is the bow and arrow, it would seem mildly blasphemous not to take part in the archery competition!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drake wanders through the festival. He has never seen a festival like this before.    He helps himself to the free food and saves some of it so that he will have food later.     While the game intrigues him, he is not willing to part with his few coins.  He finds himself being more of a spectator than a participant. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daton's probably going to give the sword-sparring competition a try. Excellent opportunity to teach or learn a thing or two!

 

Maybe give that mallet thing a try too if he's got energy left afterwards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Nicholai will partake in the dagger throwing competition as well.  Dwarvs sure can forge them, but how are they at throwing them? ::D:

Only the dice will tell

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For archery, crossbow, dagger, axe or javelin, give me 3 ranged attacks per game you want to play, and list which game they are for.

 

For the mallet, give me a melee attack and roll damage 1d10+ 1 1/2 STR bonus in case of hit.

 

For the sword melee, give me 3 melee attack rolls.

 

For the eating contest, give me 3 Constitution checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daton's sword melee:
14+4 = 18

2+4 = 6

16+4 = 20

 

Mallet:
Nat20 + 4 = 24

Damage: 8 + 4 or 5 (rounded up or down??) = 12 or 13 and whatever I get for critting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Darcstaar
      Hi people.
      Im going to start another PBP.  So far I have interest from @ShadowRaven, @dwarvenranger, @Dilvish the Deliverer, and @Kangaroorex.
       
      We’re going to start the Serpent’s Skull adventure path.  Pathfinder 1e.
       
      All books are in play, but I reserve the right to veto something if it seems too gross/bloated.
       
      Please utilize the Serpent’s Skull Players Guide from the Paizo website.
       
      Abilities: 4d6, reroll all 1’s, drop lowest score, yielding ranges from 2-18 pre mods.
       
      Avg. Starting gold.
       
      We’ll follow the AP leveling track when possible.
       
      We’ll have individual initiative.
       
      I hope to get this started soon, so please post those characters.

      -edits-
      House Rules
      1. HP beyond first level.  Roll the hit die.  If the roll is less than”avg” then take avg instead.  Example: Wizard d6.  Rolls a 1.  Gets 4hp instead, before Con mod.
      2. Acrobatics can be used to avoid AOO when standing from prone.
      3. If someone is not responding and action is waiting for them, I’ll send a pm after 24 hours.  If no response 24 hours later, I’ll take over that character to get action rolling again.
    • By Darcstaar
      Part 1 of the Serpent’s Skull Adventure Path.  By James Jacobs, (c) 2010.
      Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
    • By Darcstaar
      Copyright 2012 Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
       

       

      You can decide if you know each other before the start of the adventure, or are all randomly passing through this small rural town on your way to or from Korvosa.
      You have heard rumor that a carnival passes through this town, and have come to investigate and have some fun.
      As you mill about the carnival grounds, you can sample delicious food from vendors, view exotic sights or shows, and participate in games of skill and chance.
       
      Let me know what types of things you are interested in, and if/how you know each other.
  • Who's Online   24 Members, 4 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...