It looks much tighter when done to a high standard than metallics IMO.

It photographs way better than metallics in many cases.

It gives the artist total control over the light sources and highlights.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lot of theories on why NMM is better but I can't type that long. All that needs to be said is that NMM is better.

I would not say that NMM is better than metallics, necessarily. I have seen amazing metallic work, as well as amazing NMM work. Well done metallics are as easy to photograph as NMM (then again, the trick is the "know-how" for taking effective pictures).

Personally, I find it easier to work with NMM for the reasons Glyn listed above, but most of all, because I have always had trouble shading/highlighting metallic paints to the same standard. Reason is, I work mostly with desk lamps.

Shining a desklamp so close to any metallics painted on a mini, produces an amount of glare that makes it difficult for me to asses how shiny/shaded a given area may turn out to look in the end. Common sense would dictate that the edges have to be picked out with the lighter metallic (usually silver or a mix with silver), but the aforementioned glare would interfere with determining how thin these overbrushed highlights need be.

Edited by Errex

Shining a desklamp so close to any metallics painted on a mini, produces an amount of glare that makes it difficult for me to asses how shiny/shaded a given area may turn out to look in the end. Common sense would dictate that the edges have to be picked out with the lighter metallic (usually silver or a mix with silver), but the aforementioned glare would interfere with determining how thin these overbrushed highlights need be.

That is precisely my problem with metallics as well. Another thing I've noticed is I can look at some of the well done NMM and to a degree tell what they've done, and can try to repeat it. With metallics, I'm usually clueless. I'll go so far to say doing metallics is more difficult for me than doing NMM.

Besides, practicing NMM is one more chance to improve your blending to achieve tight and smooth highlights. I think it helps improve the rest of your painting. It is very unforgiving of mistakes which makes you a more careful painter. When painting metallics, because of the above reasons, it's difficult to see mistakes right away.

Aha Ruben! I did not say it was BETTER than metallics simply that it looks much tighter. You have far more control with shadin ga nd highlighting I think.

Whether it IS better or not is purely subjective. Depends on taste, the model and the artist's skill level!

Whether it IS better or not is purely subjective. Depends on taste, the model and the artist's skill level!

Oh, I agree completely!. I was thinking more on what Ray wrote on the previous page, but now I edited my post to quote him directly.

As Mengu said, NMM is just an extension on blending techniques. Chances are, anyone that takes it's time to learn how to do NMM properly, should start to notice an improvement on their painting standard.

Metallics are also subject to the kind of sealer (sealant?) you use. Take this mini, for example. Before I sprayed some Dull Coat on it, the blending on the bolter (aka: big honkin' gun) was pretty smooth. It was only after this that I realized how blocky it looks. Also, Dull Coat will, of course, dull the metallics, while NMM remains constant.

I should update my profile. I used to study Doshinkan KarateDo, some years ago. I still run through the excercises and practice some kata from time to time, but , even though I try to keep the mindset, I have to admit I am not as good as I used to be. ::(: