Chris Palmer

Shipwreck Golem with Sophie's Mom Figurehead Conversion

So I was never thrilled with the "face" on the Shipwreck Revenant; it always looked a little contrived and dorky to me.  To me it would have looked much better with some sort of menacing figurehead on the front.   Then it struck me that Reaper's Dark Maiden would be prefect for this.  I tried mine out, and was amazed at how perfectly it fit on the front.

fullsizeoutput_200a.jpeg

But before I shelled out the money to order a new one, I thought I'd dig through my Bones pile and see if anything would fill the bill.  That's when I hit on the Succubus Queen (Sophie's Mom)  from the Stoneskull Expansion.    She had a plain enough pose that she looked like she'd be a good candidate for a figurehead.  And as I played around with bending her wings back, I realized if I flipped them over they closely mirrored the curve of the prow of a ship. I thought her demonic appearance would help sell the evil feel of the Shipwreck Golem as well. 

Photo Linked for nudity: https://flic.kr/p/VMjoZF

So, a bit of hack and chop later, and I had trimmed her down, separated the wings, and found a bit of curved sprue that would be a good candidate for the front beam of the ship. 

Photo linked for nudity:  https://flic.kr/p/WNWTmT

And so this where I ended for the night.  I will need to soak my Succubus parts in some soapy water and get them washed, rinsed, and dried, before I start gluing anything.  

fullsizeoutput_200d.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 20

Awesome sauce.  Waiting to see more!  I was also considering how to amp up the malevolence of the shipwreck revenant.

Caution, though.  Sophie's mom is NSFW and, per rules of this forum, will need external photo linking or modesty modding.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jsalyers said:

You have my attention sir. :)

Looking forward to updates.

J--

12 hours ago, hdclearman said:

Very cool.  Will be watching progress.

6 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Awesome sauce.  Waiting to see more!  I was also considering how to amp up the malevolence of the shipwreck revenant.

Caution, though.  Sophie's mom is NSFW and, per rules of this forum, will need external photo linking or modesty modding.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging remarks!  I should be able to do some more work on it today.

Grumpy Cave Bear-   Thanks for the reminder!  I have hidden all naughty bits now.  I can see that being a real nuisance in the future...wondering now if I should sculpt her some kind of top... I had been hoping just filing down the extra pointy bits and painting her all like bare wood would help reduce the NSFW-ness.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6

NO!! Stop it right now! Stop it!!

I didn't get the shipwreck golem 'cause I agree with you about that silly face; it kinda killed the figure for me.

So now here you are, showing me a way to make it look better.

Stop it, I say!!

(Totally kidding, please carry on, I'll be watching this closely and taking notes for when I steal borrow the idea.):winkthumbs:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Grumpy Cave Bear-   Thanks for the reminder!  I have hidden all naughty bits now.  I can see that being a real nuisance in the future...wondering now if I should sculpt her some kind of top... I had been hoping just filing down the extra pointy bits and painting her all like bare wood would help reduce the NSFW-ness.

Looking awesome! I had to go look up what the original face looks like and yeah, I think you've got a great idea going.

However, the rules state that NSFW stuff has to be linked to, the black bars are not allowed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

NO!! Stop it right now! Stop it!!

I didn't get the shipwreck golem 'cause I agree with you about that silly face; it kinda killed the figure for me.

So now here you are, showing me a way to make it look better.

Stop it, I say!!

(Totally kidding, please carry on, I'll be watching this closely and taking notes for when I steal borrow the idea.):winkthumbs:

Lol... Thanks, Chaoswolf!   Well, there's no guarantee this will make it look better; maybe this will make it look worse.  ::P:

1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

Looking awesome! I had to go look up what the original face looks like and yeah, I think you've got a great idea going.

However, the rules state that NSFW stuff has to be linked to, the black bars are not allowed.

Thanks, Guindyloo!  Thanks also for the clarification of the rules.  The offending photos are now linked.

First on this mornings' agenda is a nice modest greenstuff top for my figurehead. :B):

• Like 2

That does look like an OUTSTANDING conversion. I'm looking forward to your progress with the Beasty.

The Succubus Queen & the Shipwreck Revenant looked interesting; I guess the Shipwreck isn't available yet...c'est la vie, eh? 

Edited by malefactus

5 hours ago, malefactus said:

That does look like an OUTSTANDING conversion. I'm looking forward to yoiur progress with the Beasty.

The Succubus Queen & the Shipwreck Revenant looked interesting; I guess the Shipwreck isn't available yet...c'est la vie, eh? 

Thank you, malefactus!  For the list of release dates they included with the Kickstarter, it doesn't look like the Shipwreck Golem is scheduled until Winter '17/Spring '18.  And given that the schedule is already behind, it looks like it will be awhile. :( 

So I had a productive day today!  For those that want to see a photo of just about every step, look behind the spoiler tag, otherwise I'll just post the big steps the regular way.

First thing I did this morning was green stuff a top for Sophie's Mom so she could be seen in public.  

After that, I glued the wings on the front of the upper shipwreck of the Golem.  I had to do very little to them other than trim some of the inside ribbing so they would fit more flush up against the sides of the upper hull.  I also trimmed the tabs down where it had originally struck into her back.   I then set that all aside to dry.

fullsizeoutput_200e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2010.jpeg

While that was drying, I took the bit of sprue that I planned on using for the central rib of the ship's prow and drilled some holes in it to insert pins to hold her feet, her back, and holes to put the cut down back tabs of the wings.  I then inserted a bit of paper clip to pin the feet, and a bit of cut-down plastic sprue to insert in the slot in her back, and side holes to insert the cut-down wing tabs. 

fullsizeoutput_2014.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2015.jpeg

Then this evening, I glued her to the rib sprue.  When that assembly was dry, I then glued it to the wings.  The wing tabs unfortunately didn't line up just right with the holes in the rib sprue, but I found that luckily fit perfectly back into her back slot alongside the pin holding her back.

fullsizeoutput_2016.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2017.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_201d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_201b.jpeg

And that's where she stands for the night.  I'm really happy so far.  Tomorrow I'm going to add a spar over her head, and perhaps some chains or such.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 15

Was able to do a little work this morning.  First I cut down some coffee stirrers, and set them to warp a bit to create some of the bow planking.  I wet one side, and then weighted both ends on a curve.  Hopefully that will work.  I don't plan to build the entire bow; I just want to add a few odd remaining planks to show where it was.   

fullsizeoutput_2021.jpeg

I then set about adding a bowsprit to the front, and a little bit of decorative scrolling on the bow's central rib, made from part of a Wood Elf standard pole. fullsizeoutput_2023.jpeg

Looking at the photo though, I may cut off and reset that scroll work, as it points too horizontal, and I'd rather it be a bit more vertical.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, Rahz said:

Amazing idea and great execution!  Looking forward to more.  

Thank you, Rahz!  

I didn't do much this afternoon, as I'm now waiting for the bow planking to bend into shape.   I did however reset the bit of decorative scrollwork a bit higher up, so it looks more vertical.

Also, I've been working mainly with the top half of the model, so I only just this morning noticed that there is already a figurehead on the lower right leg (left lower corner of photo), so wanted some advice from folks as to where I should just leave it, or should I try to chop it off.  I can argue both ways with myself; leaving it wold dilute the impact of the main figurehead, but there's no point to remove it, as the golem is made up of parts from several different ships and down there on the leg it's hardly noticeable.   Option 3 would be that I could just chop off it's head and make it a broken figurehead.  Without the head sticking out, it would probably be much less noticeable.

fullsizeoutput_2028.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 11

This is a brilliant idea!  I'm sorry I missed this thread the first time around.  I've been a bit iffy about the face for the shipwreck golem as well.  I know it already has a figurehead, but a pretty small one.  Your "figurehead head" solution is epic!  :D  And I think it would work just fine even with the "little figurehead" on the leg.  Maybe just paint the lesser figurehead in a more subdued way.  E.g., maybe go all-out on the painting and color for the main figurehead, but let the lesser figurehead just have a "bare wood" look, or maybe "bronze and verdigris," without too much detailing to call it out.

• Like 3

I agree... Paint the leg figurehead so it blends in to the overall leg and amp up the main figurehead to draw attention to it.

Cutting off the head or whole leg figurehead would probably not look right and then draw unwanted attention to that section when painted.

• Like 5