Darcstaar

Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, Imperial Assault, Fantasy Flight Games

Like it. Reminds me of the ending scene of Rouge One. Nice lightsaber effect. Not too strong, not too subtle. Good work!

But the flash definitively lights up the miniature way too strong. Is there any chance you could take a picture in a different light setting so you don't need the flash? I would like to see the difference.

Best regards

• Like 1

The problem with blacks, or any deep colour, is that they are very difficult to photo.

In order for the highlighting to show up in the light box, it needs to be really stark, and almost white.

I think if you added some pin-point highlights on the tops of the folds, creases and edging, you'd get a lot more pop and visibility in the light box.

If you just take it that one step further, it'll be easier to photo, and will look less flat from a distance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ghool said:

The problem with blacks, or any deep colour, is that they are very difficult to photo.

They are, and this figure is full of little sharp details that grey down the blacks.

I do think this figure looks quite nice.

(I find the highlights on blacks don't need to be that high if you have a good rich color in the midtones and darks. This is a simple example.)

• Like 2

@GhoolI agree with that.  I tried to keep the highlights softer on the duller fabric, and really bring it up on the harder plasteel of the helmet and boots.

I'll see if re-photographing with light box only light and no flash helps.  Thank you for the advice.

@Pingo: I agree about the idea of the midtone color.  I was hoping the blue tint to Snow Shadow was going to do enough, but I don't think it did.

A problem I've always had with black, that I know is painful for many, is just how wide to make the highlights on black, and how high to bring them.

To the camera, this result looks a little less effective than I think it does in hand.  We'll see if it looks any better photographed differently.

• Like 2