Sign in to follow this  
ultrasquid

Cheap paint sources

At my friendly national chain home improvement store I found they sell mismixed paint colors at deep discounts. There I bought a 8 oz.(237 ml) sample pot of premium interior/exterior flat "paint and primer in one" for 50 cents. So I'm experimenting with using it as a primer for Bones. I will report on how it goes. In the meantime, feel free to discuss your budget alternatives.

• Like 1

Are you talking latex or acrylic paint? Cuz latex paint doesn't thin well, at least not well enough to do any serious mini painting with it. (And although I'm usually being facetious when I tell people that you could paint a mini with a Q-tip and latex paint if you really wanted to, I have actually done so just to prove it. The time and effort involved in getting a decent paint job with latex paint isn't really worth it.)

If you're going for cheap paint alternatives, Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Craft Paint is one of the better ones - it's decent paint, comes in about a hundred colors, and costs about $1.50 for a two-ounce bottle...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Are you talking latex or acrylic paint?...

From the manufacturer's website:

BEHR PREMIUM PLUS® Interior is a GREENGUARD® Gold certified 100% acrylic, Paint & Primer in One that contains zero VOC and provides exceptional value and durability. It seals both uncoated and previously painted surfaces to create a finish that resists mildew, stains, moisture and wear, and stands up to scrubbing.

The performance priorities for house paint are understandably different than for hobby, craft, or artists paints. That said, what I've seen so far suggests this oops batch performs better than gesso for this purpose, but it's too soon to say with 100% certainty.

Chances are it's going to require a hell of a lot of thinning, and non-hobby paints tend to not thin nearly as well as the dedicated mini paints or even the craft paints. My experience has been that, even with acrylic craft paints, different brands and different colors within those brands can vary wildly as far as their ability to be thinned down to a useful consistency and transparency. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling the house paint will make the bones material very sticky and it's very thick so it'll also cover details. I'd suggest what MadJack said and go with a true acrylic paint meant to be used on miniatures and hobby/art projects. You can't go wrong with the cheap apple barrel and those other brands, you can even get coupons for Michael's and Hobby Lobby to make those already cheap paints even cheaper.

• Like 1

House paint was good for slapping on my exclamation point for my comic con costume too. Not too bad for slapping together this thing over a weekend (lots of time waiting for glue and paint to dry). Styrofoam cone and sphere, thick wire, headband, newspaper, elmers glue, house paint (super cheap for a sample pot), and tons of hair clips. 

20170701_132621.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

You can't go wrong with the cheap apple barrel and those other brands, you can even get coupons for Michael's and Hobby Lobby to make those already cheap paints even cheaper.

Hobby Lobby also sells Vallejo miniature hobby paints.  They only carry about 20 colors, but you can use those half price coupons on them and get yourself a nice starter set. 

• Like 8

If you absolutely must have cheap paint there are store brands in Dick Blick and I think I saw some in Target, and certainly Michaels.  There are also student grade acrylics available from most art suppliers and although I don't recommend them at all as they are poor quality and a struggle to work with, at least they are better than house paint.

12 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Are you talking latex or acrylic paint? Cuz latex paint doesn't thin well, at least not well enough to do any serious mini painting with it. (And although I'm usually being facetious when I tell people that you could paint a mini with a Q-tip and latex paint if you really wanted to, I have actually done so just to prove it. The time and effort involved in getting a decent paint job with latex paint isn't really worth it.)

If you're going for cheap paint alternatives, Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Craft Paint is one of the better ones - it's decent paint, comes in about a hundred colors, and costs about $1.50 for a two-ounce bottle...

When I was a kid I painted all my minis with Liquitex acrylics, except I used Ceramcoat for metallics.  It worked.

• Like 4

Can you imagine storing all those cans of paint? A set of basic colors is 10 - 12. Even quart cans would not only be bigger but so much heavier.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I'm sure there are a few colors people would buy by the quart if they could...

LINERS! :wow:

• Like 2

I said I'd report back with some results, so here we go.

First I asked myself, what is house paint for? The obvious response is that it's for painting houses, but what does that mean?

• It's meant to form a durable coating, resistant to exposure to the elements and direct damage.
  • It's meant to coat and protect a variety of possible surfaces, including wood, metal, stone, concrete, brick, paper, plaster, and (importantly in this instance) vinyl siding.
  • The coating is meant to be thick enough to protect the substrate, but also be smooth and attractive. This means it has self-leveling properties to reduce the visibility of brush strokes, but may obscure fine details.

I've not yet painted on top of it, but the Behr Premium Plus Flat Interior paint forms an extremely matte coating on Bones vinyl figures. It remains sufficiently flexible in that it does not crack when the figures are flexed , and it is difficult but not impossible to scratch off with a fingernail. It does chip and scratch readily when struck with metal knives and dental tools, but it does require a bit of force even then. Fears about the paint obscuring fine details are proven to be well founded but exaggerated. Careful application technique to prevent pooling mitigates this problem quite well.

I'll come back and edit this post to add photos, but it's too late for that tonight.

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 4