Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

The Princess Bride

So today I got my "Pirates" set from Antediluvian Miniatures. Nine days, transatlantic. The set consists of "pirates" who could conceivably be painted to somewhat resemble Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, Vizzini, and the Man in Black, aka Westley the Barn Boy, aka the Dread Pirate Roberts.

They sit on my workbench, the primer drying. And while I thought to myself, "These figures will make fine NPCs and guest stars, as well as wonderful showpieces," I also find myself thinking, "It's a durn shame they couldn't have stuck Princess Buttercup in there. And Prince Humperdinck, while I'm thinking about it. And what about the Six Fingered Man? Hell, and Miracle Max? And his wife?"

And so, while I wait for the primer to dry, I ask the Group Mind: What figures, from what manufacturers, would be convincing doubles for:

*Princess Buttercup
*Prince Humperdinck
*The Six Fingered Man
*Miracle Max
*Max's wife?

pirates2.jpg

• Like 19

I think you would have better luck finding a Buttercup figure in the Dark Sword range. They have most excellent royal ladies.

12 hours ago, OneBoot said:

This lady could work for Princess Buttercup if you took off the wings: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/queen/sku-down/02793

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

...now why didn't I think of that? I've DONE that figure before, without the wings; a lady friend of mine asked me to mod it into her D&D character... without the wings.

Still VERY interested in a Count Rugen/Six Fingered Man figure, though... the hair and Renaissance clothing would have to be right.

The sword and sixth finger, I can do myself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

...now why didn't I think of that? I've DONE that figure before, without the wings; a lady friend of mine asked me to mod it into her D&D character... without the wings.

Still VERY interested in a Count Rugen/Six Fingered Man figure, though... the hair and Renaissance clothing would have to be right.

The sword and sixth finger, I can do myself.

That would be a great figure in bones:) hint, hint!

25% done. The Man In Black was first, because his outfit was simplest. Dead ringer for Douglas Fairbanks as Zorro!

Westley.jpg.ef730e7cf2ea16aa5769ee692f13cf40.jpg The faces in particular are EXTREMELY good. Vizzini is laughing smugly, the Man In Black is accurate, and Fezzik... well, it either looks like Andre the Giant, or it don't. It does. 

Have a bit of an issue with Inigo Montoya; the sculptor decided to add the scars on his cheeks, rather than leaving them to be painted on. From the figure's left side, this isn't too intrusive, but on his right, it looks like he's got a hunk of shrapnel buried in his face... across the eye. I've decided to just disguise this as a stray lock of hair. From the left, though, the face is brilliant. They all look EXACTLY like the actors.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, PurpleLlama said:

So AMC just played princess bride tonight.  Coincidence?  Excited to watch your progress now!  The man in black is off to a good start.

Thanks! And it WAS a coincidence... but I DVR'ed it, for reference.

Fezzik and Inigo came together pretty well... some minor work to do to finish, but they've achieved their look, for the most part.

Pirates.jpg.7b118bed29969f616cb0254cfa94a6a4.jpg Vizzini is going to be a challenge.

Everyone else is wearing solid colors, homespun fabric, and such. Vizzini's boots are gray suede, and his pants brown, but above the waist, he's wearing a garment that looks like he slaughtered my Aunt Matilda's living room sofa to make it...

Vizzini.jpg.1e6d4aa136fa49dfa771137c44533fee.jpg ...but I persevere.

Still on the lookout for THESE two, though...

0847b480514b76e436e81ba34e507873--the-princess-bride-mens-costumes.jpg.e05498d91d9a906ee9e29d97f39688f9.jpghqdefault.jpg.11feaba3a669a2960b5aadd2f6846944.jpg

• Like 7

How about this guy for Rugen? http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/noble/latest/03065#detail/03065_w_1

He'd need a fair bit of modding to his hair and one hand (to remove the dagger and make it look natural), but the clothes are pretty close, and the fighting stance is appropriate.

Re: the Vizzini model, I just can't get over the fact that he's the same height as the other two regular-sized guys. I guess they needed to do so because of copyright?

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OneBoot said:

How about this guy for Rugen? http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/noble/latest/03065#detail/03065_w_1

He'd need a fair bit of modding to his hair and one hand (to remove the dagger and make it look natural), but the clothes are pretty close, and the fighting stance is appropriate.

Re: the Vizzini model, I just can't get over the fact that he's the same height as the other two regular-sized guys. I guess they needed to do so because of copyright?

Huzzah!

Hair and weapons, no big deal. Definite thought...

I refuse to  believe they gave a rat about copyright. The likenesses are just too good. I figure it was just an oversight.

• Like 1

The PETYR BAELISH figure on the Dark Sword site would make a great Rugen with a tweak to his hair and an added finger.

Lady in waiting #2 could make a decent Buttercup. 

PRINCE JOFFREY BARATHEON could make a decent base to build on for prince Humperdink. Add the extra sleeves, file off the crest.

Edited by DixonGrfx
  • Like 1