Sign in to follow this  
Ratmaster2000

Remember coloring dice numbers???

So I know this will probably date me, but does anyone else remember coloring your dice numbers with crayons? I even seem to remember getting a white crayon in the original blue and cyan (or whatever the color is) DnD boxes:) Those were fun times:) I may even have those dice around somewhere in the garage:) A LOT of dice (I like collecting dice haha)

• Like 9

I remember being thrilled that you could buy dice in a set by mail.

dragondice.jpg

• Like 7

I still have three of the dice from my magenta Basic box, and a couple of dice from the old Gamma World and Star Frontiers boxes...

• Like 4

I still have my first dice. I think I used permanent jiffy marker on them. Doc Bedlam posted a pic of them except for some reason the d4 is green plastic. Don't remember a crayon coming with them but that was many moons ago. I haven't done RPGs in many years but still have 3 sets from my AD&D days. Never did by a lot of dice but I have dozens of d6 for various wargames.

Remember? I did it just as recently as 5 years ago. I bought a few sets of GameScience dice, and they aren't colored, so I took some Testors enamels and filled them in with that.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I remember being thrilled that you could buy dice in a set by mail.

dragondice.jpg

wow never saw them in that color, mine were blue and red.

• Like 4

When I was a young gamer, they didn't give us any fancy crayons. We colored in our numbers with paint like god intended.

::D:

The first polyhedral dice I got were from the TSR store (they didn't come in the white box or beige box OD&D sets). IIRC, the d4 was yellow, the d6 was red (though hardly used, as we had plenty of d6s from other games), the d8 was green, the d12 was blue, and the d20 was white (and numbered 0-9 twice). The d10 had yet to be invented.

These were the "disintegrating dice", made of low-impact plastic. Bits would abrade off as you used them (though I never saw any broken parts), and after a time, the d20 would be almost round.

• Like 6

I have a few of the round d20s retired because they won't stay still on any numbers.

I also still have some of the crayons, they are half melted to the original boxes of gamma world and top secret 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I have a few of the round d20s retired because they won't stay still on any numbers.

I also still have some of the crayons, they are half melted to the original boxes of gamma world and top secret 

TOP SECRET:SI? OMG! I just saw that box in the garage the other day:) were the dice not colored in on that set either? Man, I gotta get my box out now:)

• Like 1

I carefully used white-out fluid to fill in the numbers on my dice.  It was a lot more permanent than crayon, as several of my old dice show today.

How about the slightly smaller 20-sided dice that had only the digits 0-9 twice?  You had to color half the digits white and the other half red, so you could call half the numbers 1-10 and the other half 11-20.  I still have 3-4 of them, I think.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

These were the "disintegrating dice", made of low-impact plastic. Bits would abrade off as you used them (though I never saw any broken parts), and after a time, the d20 would be almost round.

I thought these were an urban legend until somebody showed me their old set.  While the internet is handy for finding out truthful trivia around gaming, there was something special about questing for an old hippie wizard who would tell tales of The Old Time and show you rare artifacts.  Like this:

1 hour ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

.How about the slightly smaller 20-sided dice that had only the digits 0-9 twice?  You had to color half the digits white and the other half red, so you could call half the numbers 1-10 and the other half 11-20.  I still have 3-4 of them, I think.

And then show you mystical treasures from their Gen Con adventure, and it was actually a big deal that they went there. 

• Like 7

Yes, I also remember this; still have a few of them around here someplace.

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I still have a few of my original crayon'ed dice, but I'll admit Ibe also thrown a number away over the years. 

Thrown away?!?

HERESY!!!

• Like 4

I got my first dice long after those days, but I still have friends that have those old dice.

The disintegrating, near spherical, half of the faces colored, light blue d20 still got regular use at our game table.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1