Sign in to follow this  
Chris Palmer

Painting my Converted Shipwreck Revenant (Photo heavy)

It's already looking good with just the work you've done to it so far, I'm going to enjoy seeing your progress.

>flops onto couch and settles in<

• Like 2

Superb work chris and I do recommend painting everything separately except for the last highlights(speaking from xp on this model)

• Like 3

That really is a COOL piece; AND your conversion work raises it to an even higher level of cool.

It is so much easier to see all the details now that you have it base coated. Have FUN wit the Beasty!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

It's already looking good with just the work you've done to it so far, I'm going to enjoy seeing your progress.

>flops onto couch and settles in<

Thanks, Chaoswolf!  Glad you like it so far.  Now I just have to figure out what to do next! ::P:

12 hours ago, Limey72 said:

Superb work chris and I do recommend painting everything separately except for the last highlights(speaking from xp on this model)

Thank you, Limey!   Thank you also for the suggestion.  I think that is the way I'm going to go; in fact, as I was thinking about it last night, I think I'm going to push through and finish one arm just to get a feel for what I want to do start to finish, before I plunge in and start applying more colors and inks and such to all of it.

9 hours ago, malefactus said:

That really is a COOL piece; AND your conversion work raises it to an even higher level of cool.

It is so much easier to see all the details now that you have it base coated. Have FUN wit the Beasty!

Thank you malefactus!  I'm looking forward to getting more done on it today. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I love this!!!

Thanks, Glitterwolf!   

i started work on his left arm today.  Should have pics to post this evening.

• Like 1

Here's what I got accomplished today. I am working first on the left arm only.

I first added some inks to the wood areas to give the look of various algae growths and slime.  I then base coated the coral, cannon and other iron work, lamp, and rope.   

fullsizeoutput_2084.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2086.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2089.jpeg

I then applied a wash of Citadel "Nuln Oil" to these areas.  When that was dry, I highlighted the coral and rope, did some weathering on the lamp as well as add broken glass, and did rust effects on the cannon and other iron bits.

fullsizeoutput_2098.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2099.jpeg

I'm calling this piece done for now.  Next, I will work on his right arm.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 19

7 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Very nice!!!

Thank you, lowlylowlycook!

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I love the broken glass!!!

Thank you, Glitterwolf!  

I have to say I'm rather pleased with how that turned out myself.  I tried something, and it worked! ::P:

Today, while eagerly awaiting Bones 4 to launch, I painted up the right arm.

Like the left arm, I first applied some ink washes to look like algae and slime growth; then I base painted the coral, metal, and rope.

fullsizeoutput_209c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_209d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_209e.jpeg

When that all dried, I gave those areas a wash with some "Nuln Oil" wash, and when that was dry I did highlights on the coral and rope, and rust effects on the metal parts.

fullsizeoutput_209f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20a2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20a3.jpeg

Tomorrow I hope to tackle the legs and lower body section of the Revenant.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 12

Today I got the lower body done.   As with the other pieces I've finished so far, I first added some inks to the wood areas to give the look of various algae growths and slime, as well as change the tone of some of the wood.  I then base coated the coral, iron work, some bronze pieces, barnacles, and rope.   There was also some starfish and other shells on this piece.

fullsizeoutput_20a5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20b2.jpeg

When that all dried, I gave any area I had painted a different color than wood a wash with some "Nuln Oil" wash, and when that was dry I did highlights on the coral, shellfish, and rope, and rust and corrosion effects on the metal parts. fullsizeoutput_20a9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20ad.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20b3.jpeg

Tomorrow I start the upper hull, which I'm both excited and nervous about.  That is the part that's really going to sell the model and the conversions I made to it; So I really want it to turn out good.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10

Today I painted the top hull portion of the model.   This is the last piece i needed to complete.   I will now glue everything together and do the final clean-up work (tomorrow hopefully), and then I will post the final product in the Show Off forum.  Thanks to all of you who followed along!

As with the other pieces I've finished so far, I first added some inks to the wood areas to give the look of various algae growths and slime, as well as change the tone of some of the wood.  I then base coated the coral, iron work, the bell, gold pieces, barnacles, rope, skeleton, and the succubus.   There was also some starfish, shells and other odds and ends on this on this section.

fullsizeoutput_20b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20db.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20bd.jpeg

When that all dried, I gave any areas I had just painted ( all the parts that wren't the base wood) a wash with some "Nuln Oil" wash, and when that was dry I did highlights on the coral, skeleton, succubus, shellfish, and rope, as well as rust and corrosion effects on the metal parts. I also picked out a few of the coins to highlight to help sell the idea of a pile of coins.fullsizeoutput_20d5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20d7.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10

Bang up work!!:winkthumbs:

On 8/1/2017 at 0:47 PM, Glitterwolf said:

I love the broken glass!!!

So do I.

• Like 2

Wow! This model is by far my favourite from the bones 3 KS (I have an unhealthy obsession with pirates and sea creatures) but your conversion really took it to the next level. I am hesitant to start this model. It's a little intimidating with so much detail and stuff going on. I LOVE the verdigris effect and rust on the metal bits you put in. I will definitely try that on mine! Why do I hear the song "under the sea" playing when I look at your model?! Amazing job. I can't wait to see what you do to the base (I hope you will share that too) :D

• Like 3