ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

15 minutes ago, Crowley said:

The biggest issue I've come across so far is the pack for the tortoise. Its warped, and doesn't fit on the shell.

I'm hoping boiling will work, but... 

IMG_20190416_202202.jpg

I've gone away from boiling as I find a heat gun (or even a hair dryer) works just as well!  That's how I corrected my owlbear and troll so they fit into their bases.  It was quite amazing how easily it worked.  And I don't have to mess with the stove or have hot liquid sitting around that can cause problems.

• Like 10

Just now, Harrek said:

I've gone away from boiling as I find a heat gun (or even a hair dryer) works just as well!  That's how I corrected my owlbear and troll so they fit into their bases.  It was quite amazing how easily it worked.  And I don't have to mess with the stove or have hot liquid sitting around that can cause problems.

Can you explain how? Do you still need to dunk the mini in Icewater after that?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harrek said:

I'm not sure my bride's hair dryer is powerful enough, but worth a try...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Or schooner ? Sorry, couldn't resist

Google says this is a beer size in other places in the world. Is there another reference? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Can you explain how? Do you still need to dunk the mini in Icewater after that?

Ice water or just hold in position.  In the case of the troll and owlbear, I just put them into the base to cool down.  They fit perfect then and have not moved a millimeter since then.  But it is safer than heat.

5 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I'm not sure my bride's hair dryer is powerful enough, but worth a try...

I think heating it up slower is probably better also.  Hair dryers can get quite hot.  I happen to have a craft heat gun my wife uses which gets plenty warm.  As I recall it was not expensive at all and again I don't have to mess with boiling water and hang out at the stove.  But a friend uses a hair dryer.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harrek said:

Ice water or just hold in position.  In the case of the troll and owlbear, I just put them into the base to cool down.  They fit perfect then and have not moved a millimeter since then.  But it is safer than heat.

I think heating it up slower is probably better also.  Hair dryers can get quite hot.  I happen to have a craft heat gun my wife uses which gets plenty warm.  As I recall it was not expensive at all and again I don't have to mess with boiling water and hang out at the stove.

I may be able to do that with mine, but mine is more industrial strength. For removing paint.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Talae said:

Google says this is a beer size in other places in the world. Is there another reference? 

It's a type of boat, I'm not sure of the technical definition.

• Like 3

The problem with heat guns is three-fold:

• They can be quite hot. If you're not careful, you can go right past the glass transition point to the melting point. This is bad. Hot water gets to the local boiling point then stays there. This is conveniently below the melting point for PVC but above the glass transition point for at least the first formulation.
  • They do not heat things evenly. One side of a figure can (almost certainly will) heat much faster than the others. This can be an advantage if managed well, but it's non-trivial. Hot water heats very evenly.
  • The air from a heat gun is very hot indeed and can burn you quite badly. Water transfers heat better than air, which has its own problems, but if you're a bit careful (I like to use chopsticks to remove figures from the water), it's not an issue. With a heat gun, holding the figure in the air stream is trickier, though you can probably use oven mitts or something.

On cooling, I'd recommend not shock cooling, but rather cooling as slowly as you can without wanting to curse the figure for its intransigence. Slow cooling can anneal the plastic and reduce the internal stresses that will tend to move things back to where they were before reshaping.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Monkeywizard said:

And now wave 4.. GO home Reaper Ticker, you're drunk. 

My guess is that they found some of the models that they ran out of (or the replenishment has arrived and they are working from two different lists.

• Like 4