ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

17 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I think this is going to have to be base coated with an airbrush to save my sanity. Since you already sacrificed your sanity to Ma'al Drakar, I assume that's less of a worry for you. :poke:

Sanity? Is that the thing people have that reminds them what a terrible idea it is to paint huge things with tiny brushes? 

...Sounds boring. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Dealing with that amount of mass a turntable arrangement would be almost a necessity and possibly some sort of tilting cradle  or suspension system.

Otherwise the painting would have to be done in short stretches, particularly the detail work just because of muscle fatigue causing loss of fine dexterity.

So, I'm OK with an aprox. 8" dragon.

I'm having difficulty enough with the mass of the base for my Kaladrax.

GEM

Speaking from experience with Ma'al, my cheap little turntable was a lifesaver. I also had a stack of pillows in my lap to rest him on when arm/hand fatigue became an issue. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Honestly I'm feeling pretty salty about Argent's reduction. I get all the reasons they had to do it, but the size was a major selling point. He was supposed to be stupid massive. 

I dunno. I feel like there's been a number of changes on things that were pretty big selling points, throughout this whole campaign, and it's pretty disappointing.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Honestly I'm feeling pretty salty about Argent's reduction. I get all the reasons they had to do it, but the size was a major selling point. He was supposed to be stupid massive. 

I dunno. I feel like there's been a number of changes on things that were pretty big selling points, throughout this whole campaign, and it's pretty disappointing.

There are certainly things that were changed that I think were for the worse (chicken hut legs, for instance) and I mentioned my ambivalence about Argent above. Balanced against that there have been quite a few changes that I consider very strongly for the better. Bones Black has been a huge advantage for some kinds of figures, for instance.

For me, the balance is favorable. I understand and sympathize if for you the balance is less so.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

While I don't have my shipment yet (waiting on the Box of Doom) & I can't see Argent's size in person, the whole he's the Reaper version of Bahamut so he's gotta be big & the size change. I don't know if I'll be happy or not. I wait to judge until I can get mine. I was rather disappointed in Nethraymal being smaller then advertised & I couldn't get one of the resins at RCon.

While I don't really care when my shipment goes out, it's gonna feel a bit disappointing if the US wave 1 waitees are the last to receive their items in this entire Kickstarter.

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

There are certainly things that were changed that I think were for the worse (chicken hut legs, for instance) and I mentioned my ambivalence about Argent above. Balanced against that there have been quite a few changes that I consider very strongly for the better. Bones Black has been a huge advantage for some kinds of figures, for instance.

For me, the balance is favorable. I understand and sympathize if for you the balance is less so.

Seeing the orc shaman this month, makes me feel allot better for smaller Bones figures. BB is a step in the right direction, that's for sure.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, haldir said:

While I don't really care when my shipment goes out, it's gonna feel a bit disappointing if the US wave 1 waitees are the last to receive their items in this entire Kickstarter.

Agreed. I'm supposedly in wave 3 if I understand it properly but my order is certainly waiting on that last container. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Vampire from the core set doesn't look bad with paint.

He looks as if he is giving directions to some random lost peasant.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Just now, Kroas said:

You make a left turn at the field of impaled corpses. No your other left. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

Chronoscope expansion all present and accounted for. Going to stop for the night. 

The skeletal monsters are in the old, bendy Bones. Once glued together you could drop them off the roof and at worst you’d have some scuffed paint. The newer Bones material used in Dreadmere and Chronoscope I would not try that with.  No more floppy swords or spears and better details, but they won’t spring back if you bend them. Like all things in life, it’s a trade off. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

Agreed. I'm supposedly in wave 3 if I understand it properly but my order is certainly waiting on that last container. 

Saaaaaaaaaame sitch...I'm not expecting my wave 3 till mid-May at this point

7 minutes ago, Kroas said:

"Go dat vay if you vant to leeeeeeeevvveee"

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, Adrift said:

"Go dat vay if you vant to leeeeeeeevvveee"

"I'm sorry, was that 'live' or 'leave'?"

"Yeeessss."

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

So.. I'm looking at my Hut. My hut (it has three- wait, wrong song) .. my Hut stands pretty straight, all told. Fitting the cage into the little hole under the porch, the feets hang with a little bit of clearance.

Still. I don't like the under-porch gibbet. So, I'm thinkin', being the crafty woof that I am, maybe what I will do is nip the peg off, punch a little hole in it and put a ring through. I have lots of jump rings. Then; in various positions, as effective, I put some little hooks. 

I might need some more carrion cages. <.<

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Have to admit when I unpacked Argent I was impressed with his size and didn’t realize he was that much smaller than originally planned, until OneBoot posted that pic with the ruler.

I’m not saying I don’t care that he’s smaller... but I have a lot of dragons.

A lot of dragons.

As is Argent is still near the top for size. And I can still use him as a honking big dragon.

I’m more annoyed with the preassembly and changes made to Baba Yagas hut.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

~$150 low end from what I am seeing. Right now I have a cardboard box. Blows right back in my face and the lighting is awful. I'll be looking at a spray booth; I think it is wise. I end up focusing on holding my breath while I spray instead of spraying - not getting the swing of it quite yet. Over-spraying most stuff. Still getting it up nose. Even if I have a mask, I'm pretty sure those three rounds gave me extra pimples. I tried an anti-rock-dust mask from the lab - didn't work. 

Might be a Canada thing. I'm seeing them in the $60 $80 - $100 range.

Breathing particulates is bad (black lung, baker's lung, asbestosis, whatever). Breathing adhesive polymer resins mixed with possibly toxic pigments ... don't do that please. 

Please?

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I guess that is part of the risk of backing a project like this.  You put money up based on artwork and promises, and previous reputation for fulfillment (if any) and hope for the best.  I think overall Reaper has done very well.  There are always changes to products, we just usually never see or hear about them. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1