ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

just started going through my box tonight, just doing a cursory check, will have to wait for full inventory till next week, but box wise looks like its all here. also they added a full set of Paint A when I only ordered set B so there is that ::D:

• Like 7

I regret not getting the barge, but then at the same time I don't regret it.
It looks -so- awesome. Seriously awesome. But it'd take up so much space at the same time, for something you might or might not use more then once :p

The Lost Valley expansion is the only expansion I didn't pick, purely because I don't see myself using dinosaurs in my games, but there's some very awesome stuff in there. The hut, the giants, and even the dino's have a great amount of details to them that'd warrant just throwing them in or sucking the party in some portal to a different world xD
In the end my wife and I picked a nice decent selection and I'm SO eager to get them, just waiting on the EU shipping notice :D 

• Like 9

I rather regret not ordering Nyarly. The finished product looks excellent, but the concept sketch was so vague that I gave it a miss. Which is the opposite of my usual fault of being seduced by lovely artists pictures and then disappointed in the actual model. 

• Like 10

The Nyarly looks amazing indeed! Although I can't really see how you'd use it in a game (stuck to terrain and such).
Just like the Dance of Death, but they still look damn amazing in details and get that itch to paint them.. :) 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Venun said:

The Nyarly looks amazing indeed! Although I can't really see how you'd use it in a game (stuck to terrain and such).
Just like the Dance of Death, but they still look damn amazing in details and get that itch to paint them.. :) 

I'm not a gamer.

But I have this little project ( Lost World) where I tell stories and paint minis for.

I know Nyarly is a Cthulhu entity, but in my world it will be a sentient carnivorous plant.

Just look at it with a different view, I don't see tentacles, I see vines.

So maybe in a game where a party enters a jungle of some kind they might find an ancient temple entrance and there it is.

The guardian, a huge plant monster.

Just a thought..

56 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I rather regret not ordering Nyarly. The finished product looks excellent, but the concept sketch was so vague that I gave it a miss. Which is the opposite of my usual fault of being seduced by lovely artists pictures and then disappointed in the actual model. 

I added it when they showed a prototype during the updates, the PM was still open at that point.

I was also sceptical till I saw it and with those ruins I knew I needed it.

It screams carnivorous plant monster to me.

• Like 11

I'll definetly use Nyarly as a plantmonster for gaming. That the arc is attached may not be ideal, but I'll just treat it as I would any other base detail. It doesn't make much sense that the arc moves with him, but it doesn't make much sense that stones and plants move with my other miniatures either, or that the skeleton on the cobblestone base is standing on a forest map, but we game with those anyway.

Edited by Nunae
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Really wish there had been an official update on the EU container, but thank you to Ladystorm for the one you provided :) waited two years, a few more days/weeks isn't going to make that much difference, gives me time to set up my new hobby room :) and obtain storage solutions.... What colours is everyone thinking for their Nyarly? :D <3 I am so hyped for mine woooooo :D

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Nimphona27 said:

Really wish there had been an official update on the EU container, but thank you to Ladystorm for the one you provided :) waited two years, a few more days/weeks isn't going to make that much difference, gives me time to set up my new hobby room :) and obtain storage solutions.... What colours is everyone thinking for their Nyarly? :D <3 I am so hyped for mine woooooo :D

Like I said, My Nyarly will become a Plant Monster in my Lost World.

So the ruins will be a bit modified to look Aztec like, and Nyarly will get lots of greens and browns with yellow and reds/pinks in it.

I have painted the Plant Dragon and the Death Lilies from Bones III and Nyarly will look a little like those but with more colours because he's bigger.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81901-77505-dragon-plant-by-glitterwolf/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81900-77504-death-star-lilies-by-glitterwolf/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Like I said, My Nyarly will become a Plant Monster in my Lost World.

So the ruins will be a bit modified to look Aztec like, and Nyarly will get lots of greens and browns with yellow and reds/pinks in it.

I have painted the Plant Dragon and the Death Lilies from Bones III and Nyarly will look a little like those but with more colours because he's bigger.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81901-77505-dragon-plant-by-glitterwolf/

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81900-77504-death-star-lilies-by-glitterwolf/

Oooooh very poison ivy esque (batman reference) :)

I approve, I like it :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nimphona27 said:

Oooooh very poison ivy esque (batman reference) :)

I approve, I like it :D

Thx!

Nyarly is one of the things I'm really looking forward to, while I didn't give it much thought at first.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx!

Nyarly is one of the things I'm really looking forward to, while I didn't give it much thought at first.

yeah I am thinking purples maybe....or a really dark black/green and reds.... not sure yet see where the mood takes me when I get him :D

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I, on the other hand, am sitting here looking at it and wondering why in the world did I pledge for that :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nimphona27 said:

yeah I am thinking purples maybe....or a really dark black/green and reds.... not sure yet see where the mood takes me when I get him :D

Purples and dark black/green can be blended so you could get the body in a dark black/green and then with some Nightshade Purple blend it to a lighter purple for the tentacles?

Share your work when you're going to paint!

WIP and SHOW OFF!

I always love to see what others do with their minis.

It's always cool to see how one mini can be painted in so many different ways.

Also inspiration:

The King's Bounty Game the Thornhunters and their kin

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor king's bounty thornAfbeeldingsresultaat voor king's bounty thorn

1 minute ago, eldamir said:

I, on the other hand, am sitting here looking at it and wondering why in the world did I pledge for that :)

Because you need that terrain and going to cut off the monster and use that as shrubbery?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Venun said:

I think I'm going to put him on a completely separate base, TBH. The base itself is really unwieldy for Pathfinder, where you'd want a round base for the figure, or at least not a rectangular one, and the size of the integrated base would necessitate a larger figure base than is justified by the monster's actual size. I don't think that would, in any real way, impact the monster, because he's largely standing on a flat plane anyway.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Kroas said:

So... I noticed...I know the male living statues have exposed genitalia...but the female was a surprise. What is more surprising is, they are ancient Greek, in that why male is circumcised? Also, do I paint the undamaged ones grey or flesh...

Flesh - the Ancient Greeks liked to paint their statues and loved lots of color. 

• Like 6