Jump to content

ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Flesh - the Ancient Greeks liked to paint their statues and loved lots of color. 

 

This was actually common throughout the Classical period and Mediterrainian cultural region. Greeks, Romans, Persians, Egyptians, etc were all painting thier statuary and buildings. Sometimes in extremely vivid colors.

 

21 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

 

This was actually common throughout the Classical period and Mediterrainian cultural region. Greeks, Romans, Persians, Egyptians, etc were all painting thier statuary and buildings. Sometimes in extremely vivid colors.

 Here are some actual historic artifacts as samples.

 

Miniature construction and painting is an ANCIENT art form.

800px-Shabti_of_Khabekhnet_and_Iineferty_MET_DT202025.jpg

bust of nefertiri.png

dsf0500.jpg

hb_20_3_12.jpg

u-g-Q10LMXE0.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of other examples, for the historians.

 

 

d761183fca1f926caf30d4db6eac77d4.png

Trojan-archer.jpg

true-colors-of-greek-statues-aphaiatemplet-aigina.jpg

you_wont_believe_but_ancient_greek_statues_were_filled_with_color_640_09.jpg

 

The hard part would be painting a mini of a statue to look like a painted statue, rather than a badly painted mini. Maybe if it were painted partially stone, and partially painted?

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

A couple of other examples, for the historians.

 

 

d761183fca1f926caf30d4db6eac77d4.png

Trojan-archer.jpg

true-colors-of-greek-statues-aphaiatemplet-aigina.jpg

you_wont_believe_but_ancient_greek_statues_were_filled_with_color_640_09.jpg

 

The hard part would be painting a mini of a statue to look like a painted statue, rather than a badly painted mini. Maybe if it were painted partially stone, and partially painted?

I would think a lot of that would be in the texture. I'd likely use stippling for all of the painting, to give the look of stone. Yes, it would take a while, but it'd probably be worth it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying to decide whether to do them as stone, or bronze. I'm actually thinking the smooth ones may end up bronze, and the textured ones as stone. But I'm sticking with stone-colors, not painted-stone. If I paint them "like giants" then I'll never convince my players to disregard the "stone statues" as mere window dressing.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, less than 5,800 orders left, still working Wave 14.

3 minutes ago, Cintra said:

I was trying to decide whether to do them as stone, or bronze. I'm actually thinking the smooth ones may end up bronze, and the textured ones as stone. But I'm sticking with stone-colors, not painted-stone. If I paint them "like giants" then I'll never convince my players to disregard the "stone statues" as mere window dressing.

 

Something like this maybe?

 

 

hqdefault.jpg

Talos1.jpg

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm finally back after my kidney stone and some other unfortunate stuff at home.  I was finally able to get through everything.

 

My favorites are Dance of Death and Nyarlathotep!  Beautiful stuff!

 

Quick question:  is help@reapermini.com the correct email for me to use to let them know I received half of the paint set I ordered and half of the other?  Have they mentioned anything about this?  I ordered paint set B and received half of B and half of A, I am hoping I can send them a couple bucks to keep the half of A I got because I really like the colors that I did mistakenly get.  

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll probably put the statues in a number of dungeons and locations before having them attack my players. That should maximize the "WTF" factor when they attack

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Well I'm finally back after my kidney stone and some other unfortunate stuff at home.  I was finally able to get through everything.

 

My favorites are Dance of Death and Nyarlathotep!  Beautiful stuff!

 

Quick question:  is help@reapermini.com the correct email for me to use to let them know I received half of the paint set I ordered and half of the other?  Have they mentioned anything about this?  I ordered paint set B and received half of B and half of A, I am hoping I can send them a couple bucks to keep the half of A I got because I really like the colors that I did mistakenly get.  

 

Glad you're feeling better!

 

Yes, that's the right email. And the mixup of paint sets seems to be the most common issue - I had it too, and I've seen a lot of others post about it. So they won't be surprised.

 

Another common issue that you may want to double-check for: mixed up hands on the two-headed troll.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Well I'm finally back after my kidney stone and some other unfortunate stuff at home.  I was finally able to get through everything.

 

My favorites are Dance of Death and Nyarlathotep!  Beautiful stuff!

 

Quick question:  is help@reapermini.com the correct email for me to use to let them know I received half of the paint set I ordered and half of the other?  Have they mentioned anything about this?  I ordered paint set B and received half of B and half of A, I am hoping I can send them a couple bucks to keep the half of A I got because I really like the colors that I did mistakenly get.  

That is the correct email address, and yes there have been reports of paint mix ups.  Make sure to highlight in your email all the paints you are missing by name/number otherwise they may send you the wrong set back.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'll probably put the statues in a number of dungeons and locations before having them attack my players. That should maximize the "WTF" factor when they attack

 

Especially if they have to exit the same way they came in. "Wait, we have to go back past all those other statues. Do you think they're ALL going to animate?"

  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

(I made a spreadsheet for all the stuff I wanted, highlighted by priority... I can't be the only one here who did that...) 

yes, you are the only one who did that. 

Just stay away from my computer.  

No, don't open that folder.  Stay away from that spreadsheet!   It's not what you think it is!!!

I can quit at any time, I don't have a problem!!

 

:lol:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, by getting both paint sets, I at least probably won't have to worry about getting the wrong paints, although it would be highly amusing if I were wrong.

 

So we're up to 1128 pages as of this post - how may pages did the previous Bones Enthusiasm thread get to?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, John Fiala said:

Well, by getting both paint sets, I at least probably won't have to worry about getting the wrong paints, although it would be highly amusing if I were wrong.

 

So we're up to 1128 pages as of this post - how may pages did the previous Bones Enthusiasm thread get to?

 

I got both paint sets - and received duplicates of 6 bottles and none of 6 others. So you'll still need to check them.

 

Oh! A few people reported having the wrong label on one specific paint bottle. Checking my - umm, no, that's not a spreadsheet, pay no attention - okay, it's the 09324 Sorcerous Mist from Paint Set B being mislabeled via typo as whatever paint# 09234 is; correct pinkish paint is in the bottle, just the wrong label on the outside.

 

And it hasn't been that long since people were wondering if we'd really hit 1000 pages.

Edited by Cintra
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John Fiala said:

Well, by getting both paint sets, I at least probably won't have to worry about getting the wrong paints, although it would be highly amusing if I were wrong.

 

So we're up to 1128 pages as of this post - how may pages did the previous Bones Enthusiasm thread get to?

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/63270-reaper-bones-3-post-kickstarter-discussion/&page=425&tab=comments#comment-1561906

Looks to be about 425 before it was closed.

GEM

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×