ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

I had a dream that I was running a game with the PCs trying to recover the Barge - which had been stolen by ghost pirates....

*EDIT* Not having the base for the Barge is more forgivable, in my opinion, than shrinking Argent - the sheer size of the dragon was used over and over as a selling point. The time to make the announcement was when they learned it wasn't going to happen - not when it dropped on the public.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

In other news, scheduled container arrival for AU/Asia in 2 more days. Keep the faith! ::D:

1,183 backers during campaign, plus maybe another 10% for post Kickstarter join ins.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 7

While I'm not too disappointed with Argent, he was suppose to be the big dragon opposite Mal'Drakar & for that I am disappointed.  Now he just looks like a dragon in the Reaper line up.

The hut doesn't bother me. Yes the legs could be removable but for me in my weekly games I've tried to not use too much terrain (transport back & forth, ugh) but I can see it being a problem. The interior is too small to be useable (1 mini per room at a time if it was accessible?).

My biggest complaint about this KS is scale/size is all over the place. I think when I backed I wasnt DMing anything other then Rcon games. Now that I'm back to regular allbeit 2 a week games it really bothers me. I can handle a little off scale but when you need a huge & the mini is a medium, hmmm. This is a problem with prepainted figures. Just look at some of the large or bigger minis in the Pathfinder they are smaller figs on appropriate size bases. I'll have to do this with Reaper figures now. Something I don't think I've had to do.

Also when did oval bases become a standard?

• Like 4

The barge I see no issues with, really.   

Though, I imagine a few stores will be sold out on 'water effect' products pretty soon.   

And some may decide to make it a wreck on a coastline, or something like that.    

That said, I must say.... 

(And please forgive the tone)

A POX on DPD! May their paperpushers burn in a blazing pyre of their own redundant forms!   

Kit emailed me today and told me to update my KS address info to add a 'Tax ID' because DPD insists on one.   

Except, people DON'T HAVE that here in Norway!

They 'needed it for customs processing'... 

Just hogwash of course.     

Maybe the package gets sent tomorrow... 

I'm not holding my breath while waiting...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 9

On 5/14/2019 at 11:01 AM, Fnordlover said:

Less than what they're charging currently for me. I keep telling myself that Bones Black is going to catapult the quality, but the velociraptor I painted over the weekend has given me pause. Hands and feet are just vaguely sculpted blobs. I blame sculptors feeling like they need to use computers to get things done quickly, probably due to pressure from the KS timeframe these projects are built on. Bones Black will make it possible to compete in fidelity with other materials, so I'm maintaining some hope.

I may be a bit biased here for some reason, but I'd think twice before lumping this onto the backs of sculptors.  In the case you mention, it is clear that the sculptor (Jason?) did sculpt the hands in detail as you can see in the render:

17033.jpg.54626532f08c2c1a9e67ca1db7fd0133.jpg

Those pictures are renders from the actual Z-Brush sculpts.  The detail was there. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the sculptor is more upset about the mushy details than anyone. 

Further, in examining one of my own sculpts, I have found a few errors, mostly the details on the skulls I put on the base are mushy and filled in, and the claws on one of its hands are rounded off and blunt, instead of nice and pointy.  Also the skull on his belt has a chunk missing.  You can't blame that on me rushing a sculpt job in z-brush, since I sculpted the whole deal by hand, in putty, 6 months before the start of the KS. 

It is extremely frustrating to spend many, many hours on a sculpt, get it perfect, only to have something go wrong in casting.

I suspect that the issues people are seeing with these are due to either incomplete venting on the mold or pulling the models before the plastic fully set, but that is just a guess (educated guess, but still a guess).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 1

yea, somethign went wrong in molding the raptors. I blame the company making them. They have none of that detail that the zbrush renders have. No scales, no wrinkles, no toe and finger definition. But that's not Jason's fault

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I may be a bit biased here for some reason, but I'd think twice before lumping this onto the backs of sculptors.  In the case you mention, it is clear that the sculptor (Jason?) did sculpt the hands in detail as you can see in the render:

Those pictures are renders from the actual Z-Brush sculpts.  The detail was there.

Further, in examining one of my own sculpts, I have found a few errors, mostly the details on the skulls I put on the base are mushy and filled in, and the claws on one of its hands are rounded off and blunt, instead of nice and pointy.  Also the skull on his belt has a chunk missing.  You can't blame that on me rushing a sculpt job in z-brush, since I sculpted the whole deal by hand, in putty, 6 months before the start of the KS. 

I suspect that the issues people are seeing with these are due to either incomplete venting on the mold or pulling the models before the plastic fully set, but that is just a guess (educated guess, but still a guess).

yes. sorry but blaming the method or artist seems misplaced (i was going to use a different word but figured thread would be deleted).

there are lots of examples of 3d printed models that are gorgeous. most likely, as mentioned, mold slips or other issues.  also, bones is NOT the best material for detail so a small portion may be that. 

GW, GF9, Mierce do 3d printed initial models and their detail is crazy.

also, i can take a pic if ppl want. the hands on my raptors seem fine. not blobs.

sanjay

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

yes. sorry but blaming the method or artist seems misplaced (i was going to use a different word but figured thread would be deleted).

there are lots of examples of 3d printed models that are gorgeous. most likely, as mentioned, mold slips or other issues.  also, bones is NOT the best material for detail so a small portion may be that. 

GW, GF9, Mierce do 3d printed initial models and their detail is crazy.

also, i can take a pic if ppl want. the hands on my raptors seem fine. not blobs.

sanjay

I strongly suspect that the factory was trying to get a few extra runs a day in and were separating the molds too soon.  I get similar issues with my wax injection molds if I try to open them before the wax has fully solidified.  Could even be caused by the mold heating up after a certain number of runs such that the plastic is not solidifying as fast as it was a few runs earlier.  I've run into this with wax molding as well.  Typically I can shoot about 5 copies and then need to let the mold cool for 15 minutes or so.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I strongly suspect that the factory was trying to get a few extra runs a day in and were separating the molds too soon.  I get similar issues with my wax injection molds if I try to open them before the wax has fully solidified.  Could even be caused by the mold heating up after a certain number of runs such that the plastic is not solidifying as fast as it was a few runs earlier.  I've run into this with wax molding as well.

good pt. may not be a breakdown of the mold or a slip, could be ppl rushing.

let me take pics of my raptors and put it here.  ppl can compare. 

sanjay

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Those pictures are renders from the actual Z-Brush sculpts.  The detail was there. I'd bet dollars to donuts that the sculptor is more upset about the mushy details than anyone. 

It is extremely frustrating to spend many, many hours on a sculpt, get it perfect, only to have something go wrong in casting.

That is a very fair point. The images absolutely show the detail that isn't in the finished product. My thanks to you and my apologies to the sculptor.

12 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

sanjay

Please do. If I just got a faulty mini I'd like to know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

yea, somethign went wrong in molding the raptors. I blame the company making them. They have none of that detail that the zbrush renders have. No scales, no wrinkles, no toe and finger definition. But that's not Jason's fault

If this issue is as widespread as it seems to be, it is odd to me that Reaper didn't catch it with their own spot checks.  We've had other incidents where things have gone wrong, but usually we also get some acknowledgement of the problem.  Has Reaper said anything about this yet?  I don't remember them doing so.

• Like 6

here are my raptors 2 of them.  not the sharpest detail but i dont expect that in bones.  still, i can clearly see the fingers, talons/claws, the bones for the joints (the bumps they make for the knuckles, etc) and the spines on the back.

IMG_20190515_130107.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

here are my raptors 2 of them.  not the sharpest detail but i dont expect that in bones.  still, i can clearly see the fingers, talons/claws, the bones for the joints (the bumps they make for the knuckles, etc) and the spines on the back.

the other bones in this KS have a ton of detail, which is why the raptors seem so out of place. Like, the dinosaur people from the very same expansion, they have a lot of detail in them. 

• Like 5