ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

I wonder if the new Bones Black manufacturing process ate up a lot of their manufacturing lead time. Seems like a worthy sacrifice if that's the case.

I'm not thrilled by some of the unclear info from the last couple updates, but I vaguely remember pretty much the same thing happening during Bones 2 & 3. Not too surprising at this point. Disappointing, but everything is made, so... I'm more disappointed about the lack of new pictures. I was hoping to see some final production pics of some of the Bones and Bones Black add-ons. I'm not sure if Reaper has listed the optional buys that are one material or the other yet. I'd also love to see more Bones Black character figures. The fact that so many people have asked to see more of the humanoid sized Bones black minis, without seeing much yet, is a little odd. They should have piles of the things to show off at this point.

• Like 8

A list was posted on the Facebook page a day or two ago. All the expansions and perhaps ten of the addons? Something like that. Baba Yaga's Hut was on the list, if I recall. 

I'm a little disappointed by the delay, but it really isn't that big a deal. We're given updates of what's going on, to some extent or another, and the products are made. We paid darn little for the loot we'll be getting. 

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be doing huge business deals across the world. The time, language, and cultural differences are vast. I sometimes get annoyed trying to organize stuff for writing and deadlines just with someone back in Colorado, and that's just because we aren't across the hall from each other anymore. We're one time zone away now. 

The delay isn't worth getting angry about for us. We will have our toys. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

The delay isn't worth getting angry about for us. We will have our toys. 

I agree that it's not worth getting angry about, but I also sympathize with feeling frustrated.  Because the communication seems to be stumbling a bit and near the end is where you want to nail it.  It's worse hearing about another delay after you've basically been told that there should be no new delays.  And while it's great that info is getting out via the Reaper Live videos, coordinating that information with the updates is a little bit inconsistent.  Soo....  Yeah.  With hints about there being a potential Bones 5, I hope that they're taking notes about the needs for communication.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

So, the bad news is more delays. The good news seems to be that even if the Kickstarter gets delayed a thousand years, Reaper will let us buy the minis in Bones Black before delivering Bones 4 to us.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I agree that it's not worth getting angry about, but I also sympathize with feeling frustrated.  Because the communication seems to be stumbling a bit and near the end is where you want to nail it.  It's worse hearing about another delay after you've basically been told that there should be no new delays.  And while it's great that info is getting out via the Reaper Live videos, coordinating that information with the updates is a little bit inconsistent.  Soo....  Yeah.  With hints about there being a potential Bones 5, I hope that they're taking notes about the needs for communication.  

Particularly if they're going to drop hints on the podcast; /have your ducks lined up/. Very important. 

I'm not worried, but I can definitely see where people would be both worried and upset.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Angry, disappointed, or annoyed are different. 

I'm disappointed. Perhaps some communication could be improved. But at the end of the day, it isn't worth my anger. There is no sign that my money has been wasted, or that the minis won't be made.  

• Like 12

I'm angry because they basically gave themselves two years to cover and complete this, based on all their prior massive delays, and they're still delayed. And they're delayed without ever once communicating that it was delayed until the very end, just like last time. I'm avoiding commenting about their basically even further delays than their prior KS in the KS comments thread out of respect and to not cast aspersions in the actual official communication, potentially damaging the company's perception with those who aren't regular customers. But this is really bad. I like Bones, and I like Reaper, but it feels like they're getting worse at this. Bones 2 was delayed. Bones 3 was delayed even longer. Bones 4 was given a lead time as long as Bones 3's full time to fulfill, including the delay, and it's still delayed. Why are they getting worse at fulfilling on time? And communication is generally getting worse, too...

I know this sucks for Reaper, too. And I haven't gotten everything painted due to a complete job change back in November, but I'm still not happy with this at all.

• Like 4

I admit some curiosity on if Bones Black caused some of this, but if so, I think that's a worth while one. All of the items in the last box (Baba Yaga's Hut, Trolls, Frost Giant Raiders, Tree of Despair) are going to be in BB, according to a Facebook statement. The raiders have quite a bit of detail on them, and having a more solid material will be quite welcome. 

• Like 6

Has anyone at Reaper confirmed that there is a delay? i don't see anything in the new update that goes contrary to the announced time table. They said in the last update that they expected the ship container to arrive the first week of March. All i see is Reaper being anxious to receive their last container which according to the previous update they should still be waiting on. they have also added on that they are exploring options to get the pledges out shouold that container be delayed further. Am I just overly optimistic here?

• Like 3

All I know is at the end of the day, I know with 100% certainty that I will have what I ordered in hand.  And I'm in the camp that on a project this size with so many variables that getting an exact date where they physically start shipping is pretty much impossible (previous experience or not).  I know I have not backed any KS of this sort of size that was any better on timing at least.  So I'm comfortable waiting and have plenty to paint.  And also learned not to rely on a KS delivery date to meet birthdays, Christmas, campaign schedule, etc.  

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 13

I'm not worried about fullfilment on this Kickstarter, because it is Reaper and I know they won't let us down, even if other parts of the fullfilment chain are behind schedule and forcing Reaper to push back shipping dates.

If I'm reading the situation correctly, they are just as anctious to get all those extra shipping containers emptied and off premises as we all are.  They are probably at or near the point where having to warehouse all the extra product is straining their storage resources to near the breaking point.

Having to wait for one final container of product for the Kickstarter may come to the point where an economic decision will need to be made. Whether to continue to hold back what is on hand in order to ship everything in one go or if it will be more economical to bear the extra cost of shipping what is on hand now and clearing the backlog of containers in order to make room for other product in the pipeline that is needed for day to day business and then shipping the delayed product as a second package.

This is a huge job from a logistical standpoint, and it has pushed Reaper to the limit of their physical plant.  Remember, this is just one aspect of their business with all the regular movement of product to keep on track, a convention in a few months that is becoming a large scale project in its own right, plus all the promotional efforts like the Reaper You Tube Videos, all the Convention appearance schedules and every other ball they currently have in the air.  It's a lot to juggle and I think they are doing an excellent job with a growing business.

GEM

• Like 11

I feel bad for the Reaper folks. Criticism for delays is one thing, but abusive criticism is another and I know that Reaper has been on the receiving end of such from some backers of previous Bones kickstarters and I’d expect there’ll be a few from this news as well.

For myself, a delay of a few weeks doesn’t really affect me much thanks to 3 Bones kickstarters worth of minis and over 30 years of collecting.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 12

If anything my annoyance is at the universe in general. Those nagendra out of the Core Set are exactly what I need for an upcoming game. But the most I'll do is gnaw on an imaginary couch arm or messily dismantle a burrito. Maybe do something mean to a taxpayer (who deserves it, honest).

Reaper's at the mercy of the... well, the shipment is probably at a particular and particularly overworked and overwhelmed port I know fairly well. Customs tends to move quickly enough because of the volume of perishables that go through there. Then it's to the interstate.

Also whoever "forgot" Baba Yaga's stuff <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I think what annoys some people is not necessarily the delay, but that we did get the update that the last container was on the water in #115

When will my rewards order ship? When does Wave X ship? 
There is no update to the information we shared last update.  Our final container shipped last week. This means we expect to receive it the first week of March. This means we won’t be able to begin fulfillment in this month (February) as planned. 

So, not "the delivery estimate given by our partner is for it to ship at date x" but "Our final container shipped last week".

Update #116 now informs us that 

That said, there is still *one more* shipment that we are awaiting that contains Baba Yaga’s Hut, the Frost Giant Raiders, Trolls, and the Tree of Despair. These are the last four items that we need in order to begin fulfillment.

However, we are working on a shipping solution that will allow us to get these particular items here much faster than waiting on a ship-laden container. 

So, apparently the last container isn't on a ship, and still in China, or else they couldn't change the way it is shipped to the US. 

And then in the comments they confirm that the last container being talked about in #115 is the same that is still sitting in China and being looked at for different shipping solutions, at least that's how I understand it.

Reaper Miniatures 6 eigene Projekte vor ungef. 10 Stunden

@Travis: The last container is the same one, they were off on the departure date estimate.

So we got told that the last container was arriving in the first week of March and took that as a good estimate, since it was supposedly already on the water at the point of update #115, and now we learn it never left the port, apparently.

On the plus side, this might push off fulfilment far enough to see the outcome of the dreaded Brexit and plan out different shipping options, if shipping the EU orders from GB becomes a bad choice.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, cassault said:

Has anyone at Reaper confirmed that there is a delay? i don't see anything in the new update that goes contrary to the announced time table. They said in the last update that they expected the ship container to arrive the first week of March. All i see is Reaper being anxious to receive their last container which according to the previous update they should still be waiting on. they have also added on that they are exploring options to get the pledges out shouold that container be delayed further. Am I just overly optimistic here?

They said the last container is still in China in the update, so it's definitely not arriving in the first week of March. Unless they somehow expedite shipping via air (and I've seen nothing from Reaper that indicates that's the plan, despite what some people are speculating), we're talking about last March/early April arrival in the US, then customs and transit to Texas, then during and shipping, do we're basically looking at early May delivery as an optimistic outlook, barring extraordinary measures regarding shipping. 

• Like 3