ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

*Shudders at the thought of my most delayed Kickstarters...*

I tend to give about six months of grace compared to any Kickstarter estimate. 0-6 months late fall into the "on time category" for me.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

THE END IS NEAR!!

Which is good, cause tonight I really want to paint the elephant man from the Lost Valley... 

I mean, I thought that Fulfillment was a bit like Reaper sacrificing a bunch of people to a volcano. We all drown in a pile of minis. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Friday night, after I picked my kids up from their after-school karate club, I asked if they wanted pizza for dinner.  Naturally, they said yes.  So, I drove over to a Little Caesars for a $5 sausage pizza.  They're cheap, the kids like 'em, win-win.

Paid my money, and then heard one of the chefs call out "Anything other than [pepperoni] is gonna be 20-25 minutes."
So it's a very popular night (Friday), and obviously the store should have forseen that lots of people were going to come in for pizza, because it's freaking Friday, and $5 pizzas are popular among the cheap/frugal minded.  I could have groused about how they don't know how to run a business, how I spent my money already and by golly they should give me my pizza dangit, and how my poor starving kids are going to go hungry waiting for them to fix their mistake.

Or . . . knowing it's Friday, and things happen, I just waited.  Eventually they got the pizza out.  I took it, went home, had a nice evening with the kids.

I often wonder how people are going to react to a real crisis.  Like, say, their furnace going out during the Polar Vortex (ask me how I know).  Or "Hey son, just calling to let you know I've been diagnosed with cancer."  Getting twisted up about toys not making it to their destination "on time" seems like a heck of a lot of wasted energy.

Reaper-Peeps, thank you for your hard work on this project.  I know when it's all done you'll be able to relax a bit and enjoy a short period of rest and recuperation.  Thanks for putting out fantastic models, even if I prefer metal to Bonesium.  I get to buy my kids miniatures and not care if they make the guy look like he rampaged through a Sherwin-Williams store while drunk on bootleg vanilla extract.  I get to paint Happy Murder-Hoboes and silly dragons taking wing to defend their ill-gotten gains.  This is a pretty good thing in my book, and having to wait just a bit longer isn't really that big of a price to pay.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Doug's Workshop said:

Friday night, after I picked my kids up from their after-school karate club, I asked if they wanted pizza for dinner.  Naturally, they said yes.  So, I drove over to a Little Caesars for a $5 sausage pizza.  They're cheap, the kids like 'em, win-win.

Paid my money, and then heard one of the chefs call out "Anything other than [pepperoni] is gonna be 20-25 minutes."
So it's a very popular night (Friday), and obviously the store should have forseen that lots of people were going to come in for pizza, because it's freaking Friday, and $5 pizzas are popular among the cheap/frugal minded.  I could have groused about how they don't know how to run a business, how I spent my money already and by golly they should give me my pizza dangit, and how my poor starving kids are going to go hungry waiting for them to fix their mistake.

Or . . . knowing it's Friday, and things happen, I just waited.  Eventually they got the pizza out.  I took it, went home, had a nice evening with the kids.

I often wonder how people are going to react to a real crisis.  Like, say, their furnace going out during the Polar Vortex (ask me how I know).  Or "Hey son, just calling to let you know I've been diagnosed with cancer."  Getting twisted up about toys not making it to their destination "on time" seems like a heck of a lot of wasted energy.

Reaper-Peeps, thank you for your hard work on this project.  I know when it's all done you'll be able to relax a bit and enjoy a short period of rest and recuperation.  Thanks for putting out fantastic models, even if I prefer metal to Bonesium.  I get to buy my kids miniatures and not care if they make the guy look like he rampaged through a Sherwin-Williams store while drunk on bootleg vanilla extract.  I get to paint Happy Murder-Hoboes and silly dragons taking wing to defend their ill-gotten gains.  This is a pretty good thing in my book, and having to wait just a bit longer isn't really that big of a price to pay.

Now imagine you put in a prepaid $100 order to little caesar's a week in advance for your kid's birthday party and when you showed up on Saturday they said they were out of dough and ingredients to make dough and they didn't know when they'd have anything but you definitely weren't getting your pizzas tonight and they didn't know when they'd have your pizzas.  And then they refused to give you a refund.

And now you have an accurate analogy.

I can't stand sanctimonious posts like yours.  You have no idea how other people have reacted to real problems in their lives, like when my dad died slowly from lung cancer and I moved home from college to help my mom look after him or how I got a call at work that my wife had been hospitalized and she nearly died.

9 hours ago, John Fiala said:

Respectfully, if you don't back the kickstarters anymore, then why are you following this thread?  Those of us who back kickstarters are usually aware of the risks involved and are grownups who don't need to be scolded about our purchasing habits.

Maybe because I'm a loyal lifetime customer of Reaper's with over 500 Reaper minis in my hobby room and there are a lot of minis in the kickstarter that I intend to buy once they are available for retail?

Edited by Vega
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Vega said:

Now imagine you put in a prepaid $100 order to little caesar's a week in advance for your kid's birthday party and when you showed up on Saturday they said they were out of dough and ingredients to make dough and they didn't know when they'd have anything but you definitely weren't getting your pizzas tonight and they didn't know when they'd have your pizzas.  And then they refused to give you a refund.

If you're going to try and correct the analogy then correct the analogy. Your's implies that your order is the only one in advance and thus most important. 

Try prepaying for that birthday party knowing that several dozen other parents are prepaying for the exact same day pickup. And when they tell you the pizzas aren't ready it's because their dough supplier didn't deliver on time. 

Now that's a more apt analogy. And if you're not backing the kickstarter being a loyal retail customer doesn't add more weight to your complaining of the delays. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vega said:

That’s not an accurate analogy. 

A $100 order to Little Caesar’s is like placing an order with Reapers online store. It’s for existing product and you would have had the minis you ordered sent out of the warehouse usually the next day. In time for the kids birthday party.

Kickstarter is not a preorder system. It is a crowdfunding platform. And there’s a risk involved.

In Reapers case the risk isn’t that you won’t get your minis, the risk is in the time frame that they’ll be ready to ship in.

And that delay is a very common occurance with crowdfunding projects.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

I'm going to attempt to steer this is a more chipper direction: 

What is the color/gender scheme for your High Rollers? I think that the d20 will have epic lipstick and she'll be vivid blue. The d6 will be a seductive little die, and probably pink. Maybe yellow. 

I have 20 minis to paint. The group invited to paint Bones IV with me knows that the schedule is in flux. More time for color scheme scheming! :bday:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Do we know yet which ‘Bones’ material the giants are/were done in yet.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

At least we aren't astrophysicists waiting for the very delayed James Webb Space Telescope. ::P:

Delays happen, whether it is to 3d6 Reaper employees, or hundreds of aerospace engineers. Manufacturing stuff is difficult. Coordinating people is difficult. Things break. New things get developed. Fulfillment is near. 

RAAAAAGE! :grr:

My bachelor's thesis won't be proven until that pointlessly delayed thing lovingly constructed space telescope launches and gets to danged work looking at exoplanets. I wrote it in 2013.

Compared to that, a month or three is nothing.

But... I want those nagendra... I needs them for a game... 

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Maredudd said:

ReaperMatt posted a list of the add ons that would be in Bones Black... but I don’t recall where he posted it.

I do recall that the frost giants were on the list though.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Maredudd said:

Bones Black. 

Trolls, Baba Yaga's Hut, the Living Statues (both Amazons and Spartans), the Tree of Despair, King of the Jungle, King Cobra, and Frost Giant Raiders - that's the list of add-ons, aside from the expansion, that will be in BB. It was on FB a few days ago. I'd pulled it up to cross-check which items got stuck compared to which were in BB - all the stuck ones are in BB. 

The Efreet female is in BB, and she's part of the Fan Favorites. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

What is the color/gender scheme for your High Rollers? I think that the d20 will have epic lipstick and she'll be vivid blue. The d6 will be a seductive little die, and probably pink. Maybe yellow. 

I have 20 minis to paint. The group invited to paint Bones IV with me knows that the schedule is in flux. More time for color scheme scheming! :bday:

At the time I didn't get them because I thought "Bah! I can't use these in D&D what's the point in getting them!" ... now I find myself staring longingly at them imagining how much fun they'd be to paint... add it to the post-fulfilment shopping list I'm slowly curating!

What a coincidence, I too have 20 miniatures to paint! :poke:

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

At least we aren't astrophysicists waiting for the very delayed James Webb Space Telescope. ::P:

Or just as bad, cloud during the day (but only in the direction of the sun), and even cloudier at night.  That's how most of the past few months have been. (probably why that telescope is being built in an area that usually doesn't see clouds. Usually) 

As for Kickstarter, I am wishing I'd made it in to this one ^_^

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I got one set of these to paint as a gift for a friend, she's got a set of "lucky" dice that have a creamsicle type color scheme, she talks to them when she rolls them so I thought these would be a fun gift. Like you've talked to them so much, they grew faces! lol

6 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Bones Black. 

Trolls, Baba Yaga's Hut, the Living Statues (both Amazons and Spartans), the Tree of Despair, King of the Jungle, King Cobra, and Frost Giant Raiders - that's the list of add-ons, aside from the expansion, that will be in BB. It was on FB a few days ago. I'd pulled it up to cross-check which items got stuck compared to which were in BB - all the stuck ones are in BB. 

The Efreet female is in BB, and she's part of the Fan Favorites. 

Speaking of Fan Favorites, I have no idea why I would ever need penguin minis, but I want them. It's super dumb but I got the Fan Favorites expansion for the big beetle, penguins and the Portal, everything else was just a fun bonus. 

2 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

At the time I didn't get them because I thought "Bah! I can't use these in D&D what's the point in getting them!" ... now I find myself staring longingly at them imagining how much fun they'd be to paint... add it to the post-fulfilment shopping list I'm slowly curating!

What a coincidence, I too have 20 miniatures to paint! :poke:

They'll be perfect Inspiration Markers too. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, FWIW, I stand corrected about Reaper getting worse. A ballpark review of the Bones KSs I've participated in, and Bones 4 is slightly better than Bones 3, assuming it does begin fulfillment next month...

Ending date of KS vs fulfillment beginning.
Bones 2 Oct 26, 2013 - Feb 9, 2015  ~ 15.5 months
Bones 3 July 25, 2015 - May 22, 2017 ~ 22 months
Bones 4 Sept 2, 2017 - April ?, 2019  ~ 20 months

• Like 8