ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

12 minutes ago, canuckotter said:

Quick update... Decided to dig into the Fan Favourites expansion and pull out this lady. The one from the KS is on the left, the bonus mini from an order is on the right. The bonus mini from last month is much darker but otherwise it seems to be the same material, or at least very similar in terms of density and hardness. 

20190402_185245.thumb.jpg.6e452f1e86f00dc3f9b3dce0d1b8d661.jpg

Gonna take some boiling to get the KS one to go together properly... Right now it's got ridiculous gaps. Actually, "going to need boiling" is definitely a theme so far in the minis I've examined...

Odd, that it is assembled. The feel I got (at least from the core set unboxing reaper did) was that most mini's would be unassembled to alleviate just this kind of issue:(

and wait????? Does the KS version NOT come with the base?

Edited by Ratmaster2000
  • Like 8

Going through the main box now, and noticing that compared to previous KS rewards, these are all un-assembled and on sprue.  While better for modifying and such, there's going to be a bit more work before the minions get their spoils... 

The fit on the smaller pieces is good thus far and not too much will need boiling.  The larger kits however, are going to need a bit more TLC. 

I like the much more discreet mold lines on the Bones Black, but some of the pieces like the giant cobra have pretty the odd scary vent holes on them.  Nothing I cant fix though. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Rahz said:

Going through the main box now, and noticing that compared to previous KS rewards, these are all un-assembled and on sprue.  While better for modifying and such, there's going to be a bit more work before the minions get their spoils... 

The fit on the smaller pieces is good thus far and not too much will need boiling.  The larger kits however, are going to need a bit more TLC. 

I like the much more discreet mold lines on the Bones Black, but some of the pieces like the giant cobra have pretty the odd scary vent holes on them.  Nothing I cant fix though. 

Pictures? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I like the waves. Even though the difference between  waves 1 and 2 may only be 1 day or 2, the difference between  1 and 13 looks like it's gonna be 7 weeks. The wave system makes it feel more fair who gets the earlier vs the later shipments.

i disagree. 

For example, i'm wave 1, locked in as early as i could. But someone in canada who pledged late months after the kickstarter was over still gets their package before i do

if there weren't waves, and it was just done by region, then it doesn't matter. 

But right now it definitely doesn't not feel fair. I don't fault reaper for doing what they did, but it still doesn't make it feel fair when early bird pledge is behind several hundred other pledges, some of which came after the KS ended entirely ::P: if they actually did ship everything by wave, then i'd agree with you.

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 11

I was Wave 1, and somehow might end up with stuff earlier due to moving (yet to be seen if western Canada gets the same timing as eastern). Based on what all of us in Canada were expecting, and perhaps Reaper too, we thought we'd be getting our stuff about the same time as middle-of-the-batch waves, even if we pledged early. It typically takes a while to cross the border, and then the postage system can be a major hassle. It takes almost three weeks for normal packages from Reaper to arrive here, give or take a few days.

Friday out, Tuesday delivery is absurdly fast. It is a 22hr drive Denton to Toronto, and almost 30hrs Denton to Calgary. These things were absolutely flying. Friday driving, arrive mid-Saturday, nothing on Sunday, and then out on Monday, delivered Tuesday? C'mon - this is unreal. 

Waves are fine, but blocking out Canada as its own chunk in the future might be wise, instead of "The Americas". 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

But right now it definitely doesn't not feel fair.

I agree with this. The fact also that the three missing items only affects the US is also a disappointment. It seems like a decision was made to prioritize everyone but the US.

Anyway, I hope not everything needs the boiling treatment, I have not had much success with it... Does it look like the Barge will need much?

Edit. Rahz, your daughter is insanely cute. I remember my kids being that age. My Daughter is 18 and will be going to college next year (I guess its this year since the school year is not much longer), My son is 17 and has one more year in house before he goes off too.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 8

50 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Since these ones are already assembled and glued, won't boiling them not help with the gaps? We'll have to green-stuff it. 

Also odd that the KS ones aren't as dark. It is already a problem (in my opinion) that Bones "Black" isn't black. It is hard to distinguish from the gray color normal Bones visually. It needs a lot more coloring agent, or a different name, I think. Granted, I'm a fan of the material, but geez does it cause confusion on the forums. Even Sir Cyr is getting mixed up - we saw some Chronoscope Bones in a hobby shop and he went "are these Bones Black?" - no... just colored normal stuff. 

Yah the whole Bones Black name can be confusing if your not up on things. Metal will always be my preferred mini method. Thou, you'd not notice that with what I'm put on the gaming table the past few months (unpainted Bones, a couple of metals & prepaints.....)

Disappointing to hear about " Actually, "going to need boiling" is definitely a theme so far in the minis I've examined...". Most of the Bones I've gotten from the KSes that are warped & such I've just left in the boxes they came in after looking at them. Hoping this won't be the theme of this KS.

• Like 10

Warping will certainly be annoying. I'd rather not have to boil everything. One more step in prep that makes me pick other stuff to work on instead. I guess we'll find out soon enough. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Pictures? 

So, on further inspection, the models in the expansions (I only got Darkreach and Dreadmere) are assembles, for the most part.  Those that are not, are off-sprue.  

The core box however... 

10417C56-6966-4B90-AF9B-005A91518809.thumb.jpeg.ab4f5737fc3912f4e7eb3eb84b3583a2.jpeg

63463D85-97C4-4FC5-9E63-0299819C8D7E.thumb.jpeg.6b24d35ed79531b18e6fbc71cb4a15a4.jpeg

First is an injection point on the fish from Dreadmere.  Normal bones.  Mold lines are pretty prominent on him, but nothing out of the ordinary. 

F69621EB-B4A5-45A4-9925-6FB341AD8307.thumb.jpeg.e00c40f45ddf5e7139496b5acdf45974.jpeg

Cobra

6F15172C-0951-45E9-9607-BA6F090D1290.thumb.jpeg.27122cd9cb1950dd443424365fe21ba9.jpeg

Now I have to say though, I had to hunt for mold lines (very slight down the sides of his... cowl?) and the bottom is fully detailed as well. For the price, the value and quality are still amazing.  

CD8A382B-8D1A-4F79-9DC6-DD273E1F6FAF.thumb.jpeg.55866c7c2435664825b37c8734193b93.jpeg

I am not unhappy in the least, but splitting the core box with my kids is going to be a lot more work than previous times is all because I’m not always 100% sure which model I’m looking at when they’re in multiple pieces.  

• Like 21

Thanks, @Rahz! I didn't expect small ones to be in so many pieces. Jeez! That's what Games Workshop and Malifaux stuff is for! But perhaps it will glue together super nicely and all will be good. It certainly could be nice for compulsive modders like Froggy! 

• Like 8

I deal with injection mold on styrene models all the time, thou at least those are on spots you won't see, that spot on the fish thou, ugh. At least if it was under & near the tail, you could have said it was his butthole. :poke:

Yah, I think I'll snag the snake when it comes to retail first. I waffled on that one probably more then a few that I did get.

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

Thanks, @Rahz! I didn't expect small ones to be in so many pieces. Jeez! That's what Games Workshop and Malifaux stuff is for! But perhaps it will glue together super nicely and all will be good. It certainly could be nice for compulsive modders like Froggy! 

It does make for easy conversions. "PLUS" for un-assembled thou!! I know my way around superglue (or at least I think I do.....::D:).

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

A conservative estimate shows a 743% increase in enthusiasm at this thread today.

My enthusiasm is only above average, but it's definitely nice to see pics coming in for those in Eastern Canada ^_^

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Smokestack said:
31 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

But right now it definitely doesn't not feel fair.

I agree with this. The fact also that the three missing items only affects the US is also a disappointment. It seems like a decision was made to prioritize everyone but the US.

Given how the US got priority last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, I'm fine this time. I'm still gonna have my toys probably before EU and AU. And if I have to wait a bit because I have 2/3 of the Items of DOOM, that's okay too. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Bright side, as someone who prefers to paint before assembly because of angles, awesome. Downside.....making sure all the pieces are there and their condition will require aspirin. Up side, the color will make the job far easier to do. Downside, I triple check....

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Given how the US got priority last time, and the time before that, and the time before that, I'm fine this time. I'm still gonna have my toys probably before EU and AU. And if I have to wait a bit because I have 2/3 of the Items of DOOM, that's okay too. 

I would agree with this but, its a US based company with the majority of its backers in the US. Also the Wave system did make it seem like "Wave one! yeahI I will get my stuff amongst the first of anyone!" but the reality is Wave one means you get your stuff the first of the last ones served, Not a deal breaker, but it does seem like last priority for sure. Thisdoes not feel like what was advertised, and as you say, is a change on how the previous kickstarters were run. Had this been the intention and was advertised as such then I may not feel as I do...

Anyway, the pics don't look so bad... Any chance of some barge pics? Please?

• Like 5