Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

1 hour ago, Zink said:

My left tusk is broken off but it fits back together more upright than yours. Almost 90 degrees twist clockwise.

Not happy to hear about operation drumstick being difficult. May have to go to the band saw if it'll fit. My bandsaw is kind of small. Then reattaching them will be a bit of a hassle too. 

I tried pulling out the left tusk, but it didn’t budge, and I’m afraid using more force would snap it off.

As for operation drumstick. I used to have a Drexel tool with the circular saw blade, but I’ve misplaced it during a move. The drumstick is so thick to where it’s attached to the hut I don’t know if that would have worked either.

I think I’ll be putting the hut aside until I come across a saw or some other tool that’ll do the job.

Previously I was fairly neutral on the whole mini preassembly business, but with Bones Black I’m really starting to hate it. :down:

• Like 7
  • Sad 8

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I tried pulling out the left tusk, but it didn’t budge, and I’m afraid using more force would snap it off.

As for operation drumstick. I used to have a Drexel tool with the circular saw blade, but I’ve misplaced it during a move. The drumstick is so thick to where it’s attached to the hut I don’t know if that would have worked either.

I think I’ll be putting the hut aside until I come across a saw or some other tool that’ll do the job.

Previously I was fairly neutral on the whole mini preassembly business, but with Bones Black I’m really starting to hate it. :down:

Has anyone tried repeated heating and cooling to break adhesion? For example, boil, freeze, repeat.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Has anyone tried repeated heating and cooling to break adhesion? For example, boil, freeze, repeat.

No, at least not that I know of for these particular minis.

I have heard some say that they’ve tried it with other Bones Black minis, but because the plastic used is much more brittle than regular Bones, they minis have snapped or otherwise broken.

Thats my fear with the tusk.

And I think the hut and the drumsticks are so thick that the heating and cooling method is unlikely to work.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

I'm considering it but not sure when. I'm thinking of trying to boil the house with the legs still out of the water to get even more difference between the parts. I'm a bit worried I'll bend or break the legs and then have to mess around adjusting them.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Zink said:

I'm considering it but not sure when. I'm thinking of trying to boil the house with the legs still out of the water to get even more difference between the parts. I'm a bit worried I'll bend or break the legs and then have to mess around adjusting them.

another option would be either of these

capri-tools-hand-saws-20105-64_1000.jpg

milwaukee-hand-saws-48-22-0305-64_1000.jpg

The one takes a standard hacksaw blade, the other uses reciprocal saw (Sawzall) blades.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

As long as they don't actually shatter it's probably easy enough to fix.

Also, my perspective on Bones 4 is that my $1.80 per mini means l got the barge, Dance of Dragons, etc for $1.80 each 

Yeah, I have the barge, 2 Argents, Dance of Dragons, the Snake statue, etc, all for about $2.06 each as well as the kobolds. And that's counting 6 pillar toppers as 1 miniature each, as well. It's a super good deal, which is why it's hard not to go crazy with it...

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I spent $626.09 overall. I'm getting 304 miniatures, along with shipping, one DVD, and both paint sets. Account for only the miniatures, mine came up to around $2.06 per miniature, but that discounts the paints and DVDs, as well as the sheer size of the figures.

Ok you just made me count my minis. :angry::lol: I try not to do that. I prefer to count by armies because anything over 20 gets difficult. ~400 minis, 12 paints and several packs of bases for $590 usd with shipping. So roughly $1.48/mini. Had to count them several times because I didn't think I'd really bought that many. :blush: That's a good price just for man sized stuff but if you consider it includes a bunch of giants and medium sized monsters it's awesome.

8 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

another option would be either of these

capri-tools-hand-saws-20105-64_1000.jpg

milwaukee-hand-saws-48-22-0305-64_1000.jpg

The one takes a standard hacksaw blade, the other uses reciprocal saw (Sawzall) blades.

Might have to search up one of those. They'd be handy for a lot of things I do. Like you mentioned sometimes the power tools don't have the control you can get by doing it by hand. I've melted a few holes into plastic minis by using a dremel. 

Oh and if any of you want to sell me your barge for $3.60 I'll take it. I mean you're getting double your money back! :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Yeah, I have the barge, 2 Argents, Dance of Dragons, the Snake statue, etc, all for about $2.06 each as well as the kobolds. And that's counting 6 pillar toppers as 1 miniature each, as well. It's a super good deal, which is why it's hard not to go crazy with it...

With multiples of certain items, and pretty close to a full buy-in, and repeated trips to the pledge manager, my total came in at over 1400$.

Easier to list what I DIDN'T get, as opposed to what I did.

Skipped the paints, art book, dvds, tilests, modern scenics, and the living statues.

And starting to regret not getting the statues.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Cintra said:

I just watched Moana for the first time last night. So now I want to "paint" this guy's shell with glitter and bits of shiny treasure.

I had the same thought!

:lol:

16 minutes ago, Zink said:

And then the most important question; Why am I sitting here making calculations? I already got my toys and could be playing with them instead of killing time. :huh:

This is why I did my calculations ahead of time. 

BTW, I'm at $1.47/mini. 

• Like 8