Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

37 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

another option would be either of these

capri-tools-hand-saws-20105-64_1000.jpg

milwaukee-hand-saws-48-22-0305-64_1000.jpg

The one takes a standard hacksaw blade, the other uses reciprocal saw (Sawzall) blades.

How thin are the blades on either of these?  I'd assume you want the thinnest blade possible so as to lose as little material as possible.

• Like 3

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Zink said:

Not happy to hear about operation drumstick being difficult. May have to go to the band saw if it'll fit. My bandsaw is kind of small. Then reattaching them will be a bit of a hassle too. 

I have doubts on using a bandsaw on Bones figures, because of the difficulty of controlling the model in the saw, the size of the blade gap, and the speed of the blade. But FWIW, bandsaws work great for cutting foam. IME, better than hot-wire cutters.

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I think I’ll be putting the hut aside until I come across a saw or some other tool that’ll do the job.

Razor saw. They have very thin blades, so the kerf is likewise very narrow, and they can be had in relatively deep blades. If I can't debond and remove the legs, that's what I'll be using.

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Previously I was fairly neutral on the whole mini preassembly business, but with Bones Black I’m really starting to hate it. :down:

Assembly is easy. Disassembly is a serious pain in the rear. I get that Reaper has many customers that want toys to play with out of the box. But even many boxed toys for kids need assembly. Let me do my own assembly, please. (And if the pin-socket joint is too tight, it's not like I can't shave the pin down a bit. Again, easy stuff.)

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Harrek said:

How thin are the blades on either of these?  I'd assume you want the thinnest blade possible so as to lose as little material as possible.

Standard hacksaw blades for the one, standard recipro blades for the other. Hacksaw blades are about 0.6mm thick, depending on the teeth per inch and their pitch, Reciprocal saw blades vary from 0.8mm to 1.5mm depending on the purpose.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Razor saw. They have very thin blades, so the kerf is likewise very narrow, and they can be had in relatively deep blades. If I can't debond and remove the legs, that's what I'll be using.

Assembly is easy. Disassembly is a serious pain in the rear. I get that Reaper has many customers that want toys to play with out of the box. But even many boxed toys for kids need assembly. Let me do my own assembly, please. (And if the pin-socket joint is too tight, it's not like I can't shave the pin down a bit. Again, easy stuff.)

Razor saw is what I have and what I tried. Need something more substantial.

And I agree with you on the preassembly. I’m guessing the manufacturer has experience with children’s toys and didn’t understand a hobbyists needs. 

Too bad Reaper went with the manufacturers recommendations. I think we would’ve been better off without them.

• Like 12

To many posts to quote about freezing the glue and snapping the bones black. That was me. I tried the regular bones trick of freezing the glue to make it break. This does not work for bones black because of the way the joints are made and that the factory used a thermal fitting process. A friend on FB was able to separate preassembled bones black through repeated boiling water process.

9 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Razor saw is what I have and what I tried. Need something more substantial.

And I agree with you on the preassembly. I’m guessing the manufacturer has experience with children’s toys and didn’t understand a hobbyists needs. 

Too bad Reaper went with the manufacturers recommendations. I think we would’ve been better off without them.

Reaper started in the last Reaper Live episode that they are going to redo the joints and the like for bones black so they don't have to do thermal fitting in the future. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I have doubts on using a bandsaw on Bones figures, because of the difficulty of controlling the model in the saw, the size of the blade gap, and the speed of the blade. But FWIW, bandsaws work great for cutting foam. IME, better than hot-wire cutters.

That's exactly my worry. It'll be really hard to shave the legs close to the house without hitting the house itself. I was thinking maybe cut them off with a little stub of drumsticks left and then make a base that they fit into. That's a lot of extra work too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zink said:

So at least a 50% savings over retail. Just in case those people with 40 lb boxes needed any more justification for buying now.

My box is only 20 glbs and I need no additional justification . . .  :blues:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Crowley said:

I always made sure to put something on topic in all my posts. Even the really off topic ones. 

Hey now... ::P:

Mine box bounced around Texas Thursday and Friday, and was last sighted leaving Mesquite around 4pm, and hasn't been seen since. 

Oh, and as for the bugbears, yeah, I based them on 40mm bases. I tried them on smaller bases, and thought about cutting them off their integrated bases, but... I (and my players) can deal with the fact that they're a little bigger than "medium."

Package still lost in the aether. 

Is anyone else obsessively checking their tracking? 

• Like 7

Just now, Crowley said:

Package still lost in the aether. 

Is anyone else obsessively checking their tracking? 

Not I, but that's because it's Sunday, and I doubt there'd be any updates after it showed up in the Cincinnati area yesterday. They'll take their sweet time bouncing it around until they drop it at the local UPS store and I can get it on my way to dinner with the Missus before we go see Shazam!

• Like 8