Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

I for one am very disappointed at the size reduction for Argent.  I'd easily pay more to have even a 15+ inch tall version.  cant do anything about it now...   oh well.

46 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I guess that is part of the risk of backing a project like this.  You put money up based on artwork and promises, and previous reputation for fulfillment (if any) and hope for the best.  I think overall Reaper has done very well.  There are always changes to products, we just usually never see or hear about them. 

i wish their was a way to pay more for a larger version. since they have the 3d print files, maybe as optional goals if they do a Bones 5 for example, would be cool.

ANyways, my 33 lb (or so) package has arrived in friends rented storage box in buffalo. Someone going down in 2 weeks to pick up stuff from CBI and bring it across the border :) . 

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mine came, but I can't open it until Friday night as I have after work obligations tonight and work tomorrow. :down:

box.jpg.c302e29d2f857e6b6da9688a94e27d45.jpg 

By that picture, said obligation seems to involve a trip to the morgue. 

"No, you fool! It's get rid of the body, THEN take the picture!!!" :lol:

Thanks for your work on the portal Just think of the zbrush as the movie adaptation of your novel. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 14

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I was fortunate enough to acquire one of the WoTC Elder Red Dragons in excellent shape but that had suffered a crunched box through a Thrift Store online outlet at a more or less reasonable price.

It's just over 13" tall on its base and actually too big for normal gaming purposes unless you are playing basically God Level Characters.

An 8" Argent is actually a more playable size for most of the real world gaming scenarios.

I'm only slightly disappointed at the nearly 1/3 shrink but I can live with it.

GEM

A question/comment.  Not sure how scale matters for gameplay purposes (other than moving it to different peoples homes - and even for that, there are many custom cases for larger/awkward models).  In older D&D editions, dragons were much larger (i still use the 2e size scale in my current 3.5e campaign).  The miniature isnt physically attacking stuff on the tables (ie. its not the new Chucky  -- watch the new movie trailer).  its just a matter of what model you want to represent it.  So not sure why people think a larger model implies the characters need to be more powerful. 

Regards.

Sanjay

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Please take the discussion about airbrush protection to this thread:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85917-airbrush-protection-discussion/&tab=comments#comment-1821806

Posts have already been moved there.

Lets keep this thread on topic.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You got it Tiger. Although it did come up because I am trying to paint my Bones :poke: 

Argent is going to maybe be iridescent. If I can pull it off. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

Actually their Kickstarter picture has them a whole lot more upraised. I prefer them that way. Maybe I need to boil mine and try to force them farther upright

92F35E3C-16D5-44D1-A9FD-0DECB176BD62.png

if boiling it doesnt work due to thickness, you could always cut the legs to remove its knee, put in a metal rod at the new angle you want and resculpt that section.  I've sliced up my bones froghemoth to resculpt the tail and i've already extended a tentacle...

Sanjay

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

You got it Tiger. Although it did come up because I am trying to paint my Bones :poke: 

Argent is going to maybe be iridescent. If I can pull it off. 

Yes... And when you’re ready to post pics of your work will you post it:

a/ Here

b/ A new thread in the Showoff forum

c/Where ever it causes the Mods the most problems.

Remember. There is only one right answer. <_<

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

3 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

a/ Here

When in doubt, Charlie out. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

The answer is D... I'm sure of it. 

I brush-painted Bones crates, because I can stab them onto a pin and fling paint at them without caring. Meanwhile I have a pile of Bones IV atop my cardboard box that are annoyed at me for neglecting them. The wyvern is inside the box. I decided the BIV Core wyvern was going to be green. Primed him. Blasted him with some Coal Black but did a bad job so I'll have to go back to fix it up. Blasted some Dragon Green on him too. 

Hopefully the wyvern can be up and running soon. I plan to have it roosting in an abandoned windmill for my D&D group. Not that I have a windmill. Can I have a Bonesium windmill? Obviously I'd need a dumb knight to tilt at it too. For now, just a wyvern in an imaginary one. 

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

A question/comment.  Not sure how scale matters for gameplay purposes (other than moving it to different peoples homes - and even for that, there are many custom cases for larger/awkward models).  In older D&D editions, dragons were much larger (i still use the 2e size scale in my current 3.5e campaign).  The miniature isnt physically attacking stuff on the tables (ie. its not the new Chucky  -- watch the new movie trailer).  its just a matter of what model you want to represent it.  So not sure why people think a larger model implies the characters need to be more powerful. 

Regards.

Sanjay

I'm so old school that we had to use plastic dinosaurs to represent most of the monsters in our early day games.

You would depend more on a written description and if you were luck a sketch of the monster/s than a physical representation.

The figure/s on the table were basically a "you are here" marker.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that there is a practical limit to "tabletop size" vs "display size" pieces.  I have the 2006 WoTC Aspect of Tiamat which is about 3 Sir Forescales high [measured bottom of feet to top of helmet] displayed next to the Elder Dragon and it looks positively tiny until you get the proportions of Sir Forescale into the perspective measurement.

For the Elder Red Dragon, just the splash radius of the included spitting flame is large enough to imply Blast Furnace temperatures  for the area on a normal game table that the average party would occupy.  Given anything resembling "real world" physics that implies that any mortal caught anywhere near that blast radius is not just dead but cremated and the ashes vaporized.

GEM

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The answer is D... I'm sure of it. 

I brush-painted Bones crates, because I can stab them onto a pin and fling paint at them without caring. Meanwhile I have a pile of Bones IV atop my cardboard box that are annoyed at me for neglecting them. The wyvern is inside the box. I decided the BIV Core wyvern was going to be green. Primed him. Blasted him with some Coal Black but did a bad job so I'll have to go back to fix it up. Blasted some Dragon Green on him too. 

Hopefully the wyvern can be up and running soon. I plan to have it roosting in an abandoned windmill for my D&D group. Not that I have a windmill. Can I have a Bonesium windmill? Obviously I'd need a dumb knight to tilt at it too. For now, just a wyvern in an imaginary one. 

You need to direct this inquiry to Terry Gilliam and find out what merch. is available for his new movie out end of the month.

It's a modern interpretation of the Tale of Don Quixote.

GEM

• Like 10

Thanks for asking and telling me about the EU shipping. Hopefully the arrival of the container on the 24th at Reaper UK means we will see shipping notifications going out in the week of the 29th. Normal Reaper orders from the UK store took 3 days to reach me, so I'm hopeful it's gonna be quick from there on out.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Ooh, my old hometown just went by on the tracker. I wonder if if was someone I know? 

Full disclosure here:

I am not interested in using Baba Yaga's hut with the chicken legs - I want it for scenery only. 

Took about 5 minutes to get the first leg off. This is the saw I used:

IMG_2725.thumb.JPG.3af3e87a6fc68472eb105e6441ac2c36.JPG

yes, I damaged the underside of the hut a bit. I don't care, because I'm going to put a small layer of Magic Sculpt on the bottom to blend it in with my scenery. But here's what you'll see:

IMG_2724.thumb.JPG.794488c7200717038be4a6b38d3b0dc1.JPG

IMG_2727.thumb.JPG.8986bca9ad277083380cb1bfe381f6e3.JPG

IMG_2726.thumb.JPG.f3b437bbbe17ae408efe3246005ab5df.JPG

That's why Baba Yaga's Hut can eat so much, it has a hollow leg!

14 hours ago, amuller33 said:

OK so I brought some minis to work to Show off and a co-worker saw Dance of death and notice the two dragons  holding hands. She asked if this was a " a prelude to intimacy".:huh:::o: I first laughed but ... maybe it is a mating dance???????? Now Im thinking I should paint the dragons both red!

"Hey, wanna Netflix and chill burn?" :devil:

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 6
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Reaper live highlights related to Bones 4:

-Argent was shrunk for a number of reasons: so they could actually fit it on the machine, cost, and weight. The same exact thing happened with Nethyrmaul in Bones 1 for similar reasons; that one was originally going to be 14 inches tall (they pulled out a copy of the original size one, it's HUGE!)

-Final container with the missing 3 items: it is still in Longbeach, CA. Once it finally leaves there, it takes a couple days by rail to get to Reaper, then there is customs in Dallas to go through. 

-Almost 60% complete with pulling the entire Kickstarter

-Started pulling Wave 7 today

-#415 Maggotcrown Bonesack: the final version does not have a base, and here's why: Reaper had a physical model that included the base. China said just sent us the STL file instead of the physical version, so Reaper did, but forgot that the file did not include the base.

-Thunderhoof's base was not ultimately included because it was determined he didn't need one.

-Kickstarter is a really bizarre concept to manufacturers lol

-Australia: ETA of the container is May 17th

-Regular Bones and Bones Black are completely different manufacturing processes

-Ed will personally figure out how to remove the legs from the Hut and will make a ToolTip video about it

-EU container: will be at the facility on April 24th. Will take a few days to get it set up and organized, then shipping out will happen

-If Reaper does another Kickstarter (lol), they MIGHT do Australia first, then Europe, then Canada then US, to help all the packages arrive about the same time.

-Bones 4 items will not be available for retail purchase until after all Kickstarter shipping has concluded

-OneBoot isn't a dude lol

-Contact [email protected] for issues. Make sure to specify it's for Bones 4 and include your Kickstarter email address and order number. Do not include pictures, this will result in the filter deleting your email.

-If you get a double order, lucky you! You can ship it back if you want to, but it would be better if you shared them with others :)

-At the very end of fulfillment, they do go back through the database to make sure that no orders were skipped.

-Extremely large orders (as in multiple max orders (10) of many items) get pulled at the end of the day or possibly the next day, so that can cause the tracker to jump around. Also if an order was discovered as having been skipped it might get pulled at the end of the day, again possibly causing the wave number in the tracker to change.

-Frost giant raiders are low but not out. Hut and tree are out.

Well I guess this ended up turning into more of a transcript lol. I left out anything not related to Bones 4, though.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Thank you for posting all this. I didn’t have a shot at looking in (and I imagine I am not the only one.) My Internet has gone from a blazing, but steady 175 Mongo-blonkers (or whatever that unit of measure is they babble on about in their adverts) to a random 6-180 (6D30 M-whatsits, in gamer terms) which means at times I can barely  connect. 

~~~~

Thunderhoof is the ceratopian Dino beastie?  If so, Lack of a base on him means I can base him for some version of Warhammer that much more easily. Nice. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

a/ Here

D: All of the above...

Did I win?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1