Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

32 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Hrm.

I unpacked my Roc. Perhaps I will glue its relatively small claws to the body to cut down on the odds of losing them. Maybe the tail too, which isn't in the way, and seems to be a bit of a loose fit.

In general, I do not pre-assemble, both because I never know what I might want to do with the bits in the future, and because I often paint before assembly. Given that I *know* I won't touch most of these minis again for a year, or more, I'd rather be able to pack them as tightly as possible to save space.

I might change my mind on smaller pieces that don't have too many hard-to-paint spots after assembly, but changing my policy on that opens up the question of what to do with the hundreds of minis I have in storage from Bones I-III. I don't know that my mind is prepared for that.

When you look into the closet.... the closet looks back at you.  (with thousands of tiny, tiny eyes)

I was thinking the same thing with the Roc -- I also typically paint then assemble, but in this case, assembling everything but the attachment point between base and Roc would work - and might be an incentive to paint it first :D

Edited by eldamir
spelling is hard
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - or *shudder* the Grenadier Goblin War Giant? (Great model... weighed about ten pounds.)

I have that mini. It's a beast. And one of the cooler semi-diorama pieces from that era, too.

Unpainted, of course. :poke:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Nunae said:

Problem with putting multipart models in blisters is that people have no idea what they're looking at in the store. I bought Kyphrixis recently and showed him to my bf, all he could identify was a wing, and that left him pretty cold. Not everyone is a super enthusiastic Bones fan and knows all the figures by heart, and a fully assembled figure catches the eyeballs better in a store.

True.   

My suggestion to Reaper would be to put pictures of the assembled models in the blisters of ones that will sell unassembled. 

OTOH, most everyone carries a smart phone these days - I know that I've gone and looked up pictures of models before buying them from the FLGS.  When standing in front of the rack at the FLGS, I quite often search the manufacturers site for the type of models I want, then look through the blisters for the sku number. 

• Like 10

Is it easy to cut the roc off the base attach area so we can use a gw flying stand on it?  Hate flying models having their bodies touching a random tree or rock etc.

Sanjay

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

Is it easy to cut the roc off the base attach area so we can use a gw flying stand on it?  Hate flying models having their bodies touching a random tree or rock etc.

Sanjay

He's seperate from the base in his unassemble form - fill in the notch in his underside and go to town..

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I decided to pre-assemble most of mine because a) I don't lose any pieces, b) that way I can use them unpainted and c) I mostly only paint for tabletop anyway.

There are a couple I'm only partially assembling, such as Dragons Don't Dance, since they'll be painted more for display. 

I preassemble the vast majority of mine for mostly the same reasons. I pretty much exclusively paint for tabletop. Almost any hard to reach spot is also hard to see, thus generally not needing any fine detail while painting.

If assembling something fully will make an easily seen area difficult to paint I will partially assemble until painted.

I also store all of my minis on two bookshelves in the corner of my 'gaming room' (essentially the DM corner). We don't mind using unpainted minis if they best represent what we're fighting. I installed the second bookshelf in anticipation of Bones 4. I'll take new pics with all the shelves and lots of KS minis in there when I get home.20190309_202651.thumb.jpg.f7afe2fd283a654d5e0fe22c38205cb1.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

True.   

My suggestion to Reaper would be to put pictures of the assembled models in the blisters of ones that will sell unassembled. 

OTOH, most everyone carries a smart phone these days - I know that I've gone and looked up pictures of models before buying them from the FLGS.  When standing in front of the rack at the FLGS, I quite often search the manufacturers site for the type of models I want, then look through the blisters for the sku number. 

one thing though is that most people won't do that. They're going to pass over a disassembled figure and go to one they recognize. A lot of people are casual hobbyists and just want something to game with or paint easily

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:
10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

True.   

one thing though is that most people won't do that. They're going to pass over a disassembled figure and go to one they recognize. A lot of people are casual hobbyists and just want something to game with or paint easily

Agree. One might do the comparison thing if they are in the store because they need to buy e. g. 5 orc figures. But you're robbing yourself of the "ohhh, shiny!" moments if all you see is white plastic parts. And Bones (as well as other smaller plastic models) are pretty good for those spontaneous purchases, as they're cheap enough to not make people think too hard if they need them or not, as long as they like them.

• Like 4

Wave 8, 10,195 orders left. May drop below 10,000 today. Wonder if they will start wave 14 before they get the missing loot?

That might set off a little Wave 1 rage. :wacko:

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Maredudd said:

I've noted the a lot of you folks actually assemble sooner than later. I was planning on doing at least a dry fit to ensure all the pieces-parts where there and or not damaged, but I do have a bottle of super glue handy, and will be making at least one run to the store today to pick up another bottle or two (or three). Not that there really needs to be a reason, but I was wondering why the whole-sale assembly right up front?

We play with them painted or not, so I assemble them so they are ready to go.  I only require PC minis to be painted.  It is kind of nice actually because it is easy to see which are the PCs and which are the mooks.  I do like to have special monsters and NPCs painted, but wont stop the game just because I don't have time to paint ahead of time.

If I do want to paint them later, it typically isn't hard to deflash, prep, and paint them assembled, though if needed, I typically can break the SG bond.

I only actually do this with Bones minis.  Metal minis are stored in their blister packs until I paint them, but then metal is typically reserved these days for PC minis or Show minis.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

Got mine yesterday! Still haven't had a chance to check on much, but it appears I got both paint sets even though I only ordered set B. 

I hope this doesn't cause problems :(

Reaper is very good at fixing things like that and would likely not even want you to return the paints. More of a hassle for them to accept the return than take a loss on a few paints I guess.

Sent in my message about wrong paints and they shipped the replacements the next morning. Would have been even faster except I didn't reply to their first question until tight at the end of the day. Can't fault their customer service at all.

• Like 7

My errant Mossbeard showed up today, sans Entwives. Reaper was extra kind and included a sample bottle of paint, a nice pale indigo color that will be good as a highlight for Nightsky Indigo.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

Got mine yesterday! Still haven't had a chance to check on much, but it appears I got both paint sets even though I only ordered set B. 

I hope this doesn't cause problems :(

Did you get four boxes of paint? 

If not I'd investigate further.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1