Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I like this Owlbear way better than the Bones 1 Owlbear, who's whole pose just always bothered me. I think the Bones Black owlbear did turn out looking really good (don't own one yet, maybe someday) but the two of Bones 4's owlbear are fine for my purposes. I don't specifically plan on hunting down any others at the moment. These work fine.

i really love that Bones 1 Owlbear. I have to put the two side eby side. I hope this one is smaller so i can use it as a younbg owlbear.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Surprisingly, no.owlbear1.thumb.jpg.f7d988bb26bf82c6e2861c939958ac78.jpgBones 4d1225hjgcki21.thumb.jpg.8b706031e06fd537aad63ffa1b58cd9b.jpgBones Black

I see.  Yea bones black is better.  I dont like the bones 4 much.  

14 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Surprisingly, no.

owlbear1.thumb.jpg.f7d988bb26bf82c6e2861c939958ac78.jpgBones 4d1225hjgcki21.thumb.jpg.8b706031e06fd537aad63ffa1b58cd9b.jpgBones Black

1521971696_owlbearwizkids.thumb.jpg.ef0a34a36bc9ca2fdf0565cbf3d881fd.jpg Wizkids Nolzur's veriosn

I think wizkids still wins though.  I think what ruins the bones 4 and bones black one to me is the feathered wings on the arms.  I just dont like that.

Edited by Bane Of Humanity
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, OneBoot said:

So much agree. I've only been able to figure it out 75% of the way. It's a drop-dead gorgeous piece though, and it's freaking HUGE. I was expecting something maybe half the size. 

You are correct. 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D 

There is a smaller orrery in one of the Mantic Terrain Crate sets - Megan uses it for the 'portable' version of an artifact - the room sized one will be... a challenge tp transport, methinks.

7930.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

I think that we will be happy to have both.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I see.  Yea bones black is better.  I dont like the bones 4 much.  

1521971696_owlbearwizkids.thumb.jpg.ef0a34a36bc9ca2fdf0565cbf3d881fd.jpg Wizkids Nolzur's veriosn

I think wizkids still wins though.  I think what ruins the bones 4 and bones black one to me is the feathered wings on the arms.  I just dont like that.

I'll admit - I think that one is pretty imposing overall. I think, in general, the difficulty in really making an owlbear that looks "right" is partially because the very concept really just doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, I'd love a vizzerdrix miniature...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

on the subject of the astrolabe, i dont' like the monkey with it. I would rather it be more like the mantic one rather than some fancy elaborate set up invovling a monkey

mostly because i feel like the monkey would be out of place thematically

on top of that, its detail is really soft and there isn't much to it

on the subject of owlbears, i like the bones 4 one. I like having a bear, with a beak, and very slight feathering on the arms. The bones black one has too much feathering, it looks like a giant owl, and i don't like the wizkid one becuase it just looks like a bear with a weird face

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'll admit - I think that one is pretty imposing overall. I think, in general, the difficulty in really making an owlbear that looks "right" is partially because the very concept really just doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, I'd love a vizzerdrix miniature...

Ill agree with that.  
and Ill second a miniature for that creature.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I have to admit...I like wizkids owlbear better....

Sorry Ron...

The gf9 resin one from the army painter d&d paint set is the best of all of them imho but they must have rushed it.  The feathers don't have all the normal feather detail. Pose and look is very good though.  

Sanjay

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

The gf9 resin one from the army painter d&d paint set is the best of all of them imho but they must have rushed it.  The feathers don't have all the normal feather detail. Pose and look is very good though.  

Sanjay

This one?
thW6VT2BOC.jpg.ebb61512800b6fb9386ad6b8096ee978.jpg

Hmmm Its a tough call I really like this one too.  The only issue I have is that its from Gale force 9.  When opening their illithid pack.  I broke 3 of the five minis just getting them off the sprues.  With a cutting tool.  Which makes me dread opening my larger ones.

Edited by Bane Of Humanity
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

This one?
thW6VT2BOC.jpg.ebb61512800b6fb9386ad6b8096ee978.jpg

Hmmm Its a tough call I really like this one too.

Yes that one. It's also an official d&d one.  Overall I like the gf9 one. Then the bones 4 one. Can't stand the bones black one or the wizkids.

Sanjay

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jason Zavoda said:

i really love that Bones 1 Owlbear. I have to put the two side eby side. I hope this one is smaller so i can use it as a younbg owlbear.

Yeah, that. An advantage of multiple sculpts for a monster is that, if you need more than one -- and need to *pay* for more than one -- for a encounter, at least you have some variety to throw at your players.

Granted, if the encounter is with three (four?) owlbears, it's may be a pretty short encounter! :lol:

• Like 7