Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

5 minutes ago, Fnordlover said:

This is comically bad. Like, maybe it was sculpted as a normally sized 28 mm wolf and it was easier to up size it rather than sculpt a new one, except I've seen too many good wolf sculpts to buy that.

yea, i'm very disappointed in it, i would have loved to have a wolf that more matched the concept art. IT's one thing i don't understand why it was changed, really

bb27519fe47c13fbfa9878b2461ad552.png

• Like 2

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:
21 minutes ago, Fnordlover said:

This is comically bad. Like, maybe it was sculpted as a normally sized 28 mm wolf and it was easier to up size it rather than sculpt a new one, except I've seen too many good wolf sculpts to buy that.

yea, i'm very disappointed in it, i would have loved to have a wolf that more matched the concept art. IT's one thing i don't understand why it was changed, really

bb27519fe47c13fbfa9878b2461ad552.png

I'm not really pleased either. About all I can really do is just.. .not pick things up based on renders and concept art.

That may mean I'm waiting longer to get things, but I think I can handle that.

• Like 3

Just now, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'll be honest - a lot of the digitally sculpted figures just aren't as successful. There's some really stellar ones, but there are a lot that just lack that level of realism and detail that the hand-sculpted ones look like.

I agree. My favorite things from the kickstarter were ones traditionally sculpted, and ones i was excited for render or concept art wise just don't measure up.

Off hand, I can list the Blacktooth terror and the raptor pack from the Lost Valley expansion, the Frost giantesses and their wolf, argent, and the roc as ones i'm not very impressed by and all were digitally sculpted. 

On the other hand, the fire giant huntsman was digitally sculpted and I think he looks good, and I like chief mumlak and the dragon turtle and i believe both of those were digitally sculpted as well, so it can be done but it seems it's more common for them to be a bit subpar

1 minute ago, Sylverthorne said:

I'm not really pleased either. About all I can really do is just.. .not pick things up based on renders and concept art.

That may mean I'm waiting longer to get things, but I think I can handle that.

tha'ts going to be my new way of doing things too

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'll be honest - a lot of the digitally sculpted figures just aren't as successful. There's some really stellar ones, but there are a lot that just lack that level of realism and detail that the hand-sculpted ones look like.

I think some of that has to do with inexperience. I mean, there's some really stellar sculptors who have been moving to digital, but their digital creations lack the finesse that their hand sculpted ones do, because they're new to the medium. 

Personally, I think that's what happened with the wolf.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Sorry but this has nothing to do with digital 3d printed vs hand.  The Gale force nine models are 3d printed. Look at their Demogorgon awesome fur, teeth, muscles , veins, and texture in the skin.  I've designed a model of borys (dark sun dragon of tyr) and paying to have parts printed on a form 2.  Not as good as a professional level model but it's super fine etc.  The issue is due to their goals with bones (less components) and the lack of overall detail compared to let's say gf9 resin kits or gw plastic sets (also 3d printed originals), and lower cost, maybe the base models aren't to that standard or other issues arise when trying to translate the 3d printed master to bones.

1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

This one?
thW6VT2BOC.jpg.ebb61512800b6fb9386ad6b8096ee978.jpg

Hmmm Its a tough call I really like this one too.  The only issue I have is that its from Gale force 9.  When opening their illithid pack.  I broke 3 of the five minis just getting them off the sprues.  With a cutting tool.  Which makes me dread opening my larger ones.

Omg..they are brittle. They do such small things pieces it's crazy.  The detail on their other models are insane. I mainly deal with resin monsters so used to it. Haven't broken em yet

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

The issue is due to their goals with bones (less components) and the lack of overall detail compared to let's say gf9 resin kits or gw plastic sets (also 3d printed originals), and lower cost, maybe the base models aren't to that standard or other issues arise when trying to translate the 3d printed master to bones.

i wouldn't say that though, because some of hte 3D printed models in this kickstarter are just fine (like the Fire giant huntsman, he has a lot of really fine detail)

i think the issue is sculptors on specific projects, like whoever was tasked with converting the wolf concept art into a wolf model, and just went with a basic wolf pose instead of actually following the concept art and not doing any real detali on it

then there are situations i don't quite understand, like Jason Wiebe. His blacktooth terror is 3D printed, and has a lot of really good detail, and his dragon turtle is the same, but his raptor pack has really soft details with very vague hands and feet, so it doesn't seem consistent

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

i thought that was a yeti when i first saw it haha

I don't like the wizkids owlbear at all, it doesn't look like an owlbear to me at all. Yeti is a good call for that figure, walking around like a humanoid. I always pictured them moving around on all fours like a bear, and only rising to attack or intimidate. Ironically though, it does seem closer to how the original owlbear moved around:

200px-Owlbear.JPG.162b9d3fe822bfdb2eddbbc31e453c66.JPG

Of course that guy was a sad looking abomination and quickly forgotten about as soon as a better artist took a crack at one (and I say that as someone who generally loves the old school monster manual art).

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i wouldn't say that though, because some of hte 3D printed models in this kickstarter are just fine (like the Fire giant huntsman, he has a lot of really fine detail)

i think the issue is sculptors on specific projects, like whoever was tasked with converting the wolf concept art into a wolf model, and just went with a basic wolf pose instead of actually following the concept art and not doing any real detali on it

then there are situations i don't quite understand, like Jason Wiebe. His blacktooth terror is 3D printed, and has a lot of really good detail, and his dragon turtle is the same, but his raptor pack has really soft details with very vague hands and feet, so it doesn't seem consistent

Well that's one part but also even good ones aren't up to the level of other more costly kits. But price to detail ratio is pretty good with bones.

Limiting pieces can also force certain decisions when 3d printing.  Good pt though.  It's prob lack of experience in zbrush and 3d printing with these sculptors.

Sanjay

• Like 2

I don't really like the wolf either, but do like the Frost Giants. So, I understand being more cautious on waiting on actual models vs renders, but... The Frost giants were $15 for the Pair? The wolf was a big selling point on them, but even if I absolutely hate it (which I know many do) worst comes to worst I throw it away and paid $7.50 per giant. If I also hated the giants, well $15.00 is harder to swallow, but not super hard. And if I didn't get them and they turned out great then I would have regretted not spending that $15...

Now money is money and there were more expensive things here that did not turn out as promised. But for the most part I think I will still be willing to gamble on renders... Cause having to wait til retail is even more painful than waiting for KS delivery.

Note: I do really dislike the wolf... But its a wolf, and I can still throw it at RPG PC's if nothing else.

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

I don't really like the wolf either, but do like the Frost Giants. So, I understand being more cautious on waiting on actual models vs renders, but... The Frost giants were $15 for the Pair? The wolf was a big selling point on them, but even if I absolutely hate it (which I know many do) worst comes to worst I throw it away and paid $7.50 per giant. If I also hated the giants, well $15.00 is harder to swallow, but not super hard. And if I didn't get them and they turned out great then I would have regretted not spending that $15...

Now money is money and there were more expensive things here that did not turn out as promised. But for the most part I think I will still be willing to gamble on renders... Cause having to wait til retail is even more painful than waiting for KS delivery.

Note: I do really dislike the wolf... But its a wolf, and I can still throw it at RPG PC's if nothing else.

see, for me i see that $15 as a waste. I don't really like the entire set. I don't like how the giantesses ended up, i don't like how the wolf ended up.

Argent is another i regret getting, as is the Roc. I'm not impressed with either, I wish i hadn't wasted my money on either

• Like 2

I don't get the dissatisfaction with the Roc. I'm really impressed by it as a whole, though clearly the extra stone was added because it wound up so heavy. One of my criticisms of Bones Black is the drastically increased weight. Definitely having negative issues with how they handle larger minis, especially.

• Like 4