Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

50 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I'm not really pleased either. About all I can really do is just.. .not pick things up based on renders and concept art.

That may mean I'm waiting longer to get things, but I think I can handle that.

I want to say this is a great idea, but I distinctly remember them whipping out Argent on Reaper Live and he was 12 inches tall. They said it was 3d printed, but were still implying that that was what the finished product would be. I think Bones 5 will be a $1 backing, in case anything turns out to be worth risking losing my damaged faith.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Fnordlover said:

I want to say this is a great idea, but I distinctly remember them whipping out Argent on Reaper Live and he was 12 inches tall. They said it was 3d printed, but were still implying that that was what the finished product would be. I think Bones 5 will be a $1 backing, in case anything turns out to be worth risking losing my damaged faith.

i've never been disappointed by julie guthrie's dragons and her's are always the ones i love to paint the most, so no matter what i'll be in for $1 to get whatever new thing she's made

• Like 5

I am not a bog fan of the Roc. I didn't really like the render either, but figured I can probably use it for something. Not my favorite thing in this KS for sure. But don't hate it...I like Argent, even though he is smaller. If The giants and wolf are completely useless to you, Siri, then I agree that it is/was a waste to get them. I have been getting bones primarily for roleplaying, so they are never really a waste for me.

But I will go on record (again) that I absolutely hate the material for the translucents in Bones 4. Its very brittle. It does not show detail. It feels like a cheep toy you put $.25 in a machine to get out of a gumball machine.

I also am not sure fond of all the assembly. On large things I don't mind. But dear god, even the goblins needed assembling...

3 minutes ago, Fnordlover said:

I think Bones 5 will be a $1 backing, in case anything turns out to be worth risking losing my damaged faith.

Did you like anything in Bones 4? I am a bit disappointed but overall I am pleased with what I got. I am still planning on going all in on Bones 5, Even though storage and need are definitely both lacking now. But with my daughter off to college next year, I need something to occupy my insanity.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

I am not a bog fan of the Roc. I didn't really like the render either, but figured I can probably use it for something. Not my favorite thing in this KS for sure. But don't hate it...I like Argent, even though he is smaller. If The giants and wolf are completely useless to you, Siri, then I agree that it is/was a waste to get them. I have been getting bones primarily for roleplaying, so they are never really a waste for me.

But I will go on record (again) that I absolutely hate the material for the translucents in Bones 4. Its very brittle. It does not show detail. It feels like a cheep toy you put $.25 in a machine to get out of a gumball machine.

I also am not sure fond of all the assembly. On large things I don't mind. But dear god, even the goblins needed assembling...

i paint big things for display, small monsters and figures are for gaming, so the giantesses were just going to be a fun thing to paint, except i don't like how they ended up (same for argent and roc)

i agree on that too, i don't like assembling small figures. It's frustrating, not fun, to me though i did manage to get it done over the course of 3 days

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

I am not looking forward to seeing the translucents, then.  I wonder how that slipped by quality control?  The Bones 3 translucents are very similar to the regular Bones for detail and flexibility, I thought.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I am not looking forward to seeing the translucents, then.  I wonder how that slipped by quality control?  The Bones 3 translucents are very similar to the regular Bones for detail and flexibility, I thought.

I guess its fits in with their quality estimates for the new "bones black" translucent material. It feels different than bones black too though. Yeah, I liked the translucents in Bones 3, which was pretty much regular bones feel.

• Like 4

I think Mamluk the elephant man is way too big.  It seems like he ended up at least 50 percent bigger than the picture indicated.  How often do you need an elephant god?  I am ok with Argent even if my preference is more bigger dragon goodness.

Edited by Citrine
Forgot percent
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Actually, the art has absolutely nothing to do with the artist. When D&D was being created, Gary Gygax used whatever he could as monsters for his game (also the reason why there are giants that are patterned after vikings and Greeks, different manufacturers had different scales for their toys). As for the owlbear, rust monster, bulette, and other classic creatures, Gygax actually used random grab bags made in China, getting them from cheap dollar stores. Here is the original owlbear:

image.thumb.png.fc94f94576e0854f0337b2b21d517d58.png

Plus they got their names based on what the guys opening up the packs (Gygax and crew) thought of when looking at them since they were completely random pieces of plastic with arms/legs/tails/wings/fur carved into the forms.. Remember reading/listening to that at the 50th GenCon exhibit on his life and thinking "Well that makes a whole lot of sense!"  

Because at the time, the only 'real' miniatures out there were wargaming ones - i.e. cavalry and infantry units - so they had to improvise and Gary picked up a couple of packs on his way to game night or something like that.. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i've never been disappointed by julie guthrie's dragons and her's are always the ones i love to paint the most, so no matter what i'll be in for $1 to get whatever new thing she's made

Julie Guthrie is an elfing treasure, and Bones 5 should include a Julie Guthrie add-on.

8 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Did you like anything in Bones 4? I am a bit disappointed but overall I am pleased with what I got. I am still planning on going all in on Bones 5, Even though storage and need are definitely both lacking now. But with my daughter off to college next year, I need something to occupy my insanity.

I'm excited about a fair portion of it. A lot of it is things that I'd never buy at retail prices, but at about a buck each I will find space and potentially a use for. The Frost Giant Raiders make me angry, because of the way they were handled after Reaper had my money based on the affirmations they were giving the excited backers. I'm glad I didn't spend the money I was going to on it, since a fair portion of that would have been other things that have turned out to be different than what was offered.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I don't have a problem with them any more than other transluscents. Of course they don't show the detail - they're see-thru. They're stiffer than normal bones - just like Bones Black normal color. 

All transluscents look a bit corny to me. These are no exception. The black ooze is fitting. I can use them guilt free on the tabletop. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Actually, the art has absolutely nothing to do with the artist. When D&D was being created, Gary Gygax used whatever he could as monsters for his game (also the reason why there are giants that are patterned after vikings and Greeks, different manufacturers had different scales for their toys). As for the owlbear, rust monster, bulette, and other classic creatures, Gygax actually used random grab bags made in China, getting them from cheap dollar stores. Here is the original owlbear:

image.thumb.png.fc94f94576e0854f0337b2b21d517d58.png

WOW!  Call it an owlbear but it looks more like a Ravenbear...

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

WOW!  Call it an owlbear but it looks more like a Ravenbear...

Looks like Big Bird after a four week bender.

*pause*

*pause*

*extended pause*

Okay. I see what you people did there...

Back on topic please.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Quality in the lost valley expansion is all over the place.

He made it through unscathed! 20190420_204204.thumb.jpg.13dd399d44d20c23269836cc70851cd1.jpg

But my carnotaurus seems to be missing hands. Maybe that's why he is angry? 

20190420_205216.thumb.jpg.10c6c159ed21874bdab4f8397461e66e.jpg

And a raptor for how poor the detail is on it. Look at that foot and the claw. Were they accidentally scaled up? =/

20190420_205443.thumb.jpg.cdf63ac3177424e9201c764fd263b239.jpg

Ankylosaurus was great, except for the tail fitting. Might have to trim down the insert stub. @Sirithiliel have you compared yours to the resin?

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Quality in the lost valley expansion is all over the place.

He made it through unscathed! 20190420_204204.thumb.jpg.13dd399d44d20c23269836cc70851cd1.jpg

But my carnotaurus seems to be missing hands. Maybe that's why he is angry? 

20190420_205216.thumb.jpg.10c6c159ed21874bdab4f8397461e66e.jpg

And a raptor for how poor the detail is on it. Look at that foot and the claw. Were they accidentally scaled up? =/

20190420_205443.thumb.jpg.cdf63ac3177424e9201c764fd263b239.jpg

Ankylosaurus was great, except for the tail fitting. Might have to trim down the insert stub. @Sirithiliel have you compared yours to the resin?

glad you got a picture of the feet, those raptor details are so soft

Your poor carno! Here is mine beside his pewter brother

03F7A216-1FDE-4B37-B2B0-4480A1A61B61.jpeg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 14