Jump to content

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread


ladystorm
 Share

Recommended Posts

Heads up. Reaper revamped their website. It's different, but the figure finder is pretty neat. So it should be easier to find painted references for the non new Bones 4. So far looks like inspiration galley and upcoming stuff has yet to be readded. Also they may have issues with logins, because they don't recognize having my email...which sucks because I have some credit attached to it....

  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderator

Still need to do my core set thoughts post, assuming my LOTS OF PICS posts are useful to anyone. 

 

I can measure Dance of Death tomorrow, and I'll post a pic of that. 

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jason Zavoda said:

The core set is an incredible bargain. You can easily just trade or sell it once it arrives if for some reason you don't want more mninis (a concept I don't understand).

 

This time I didn't take the core set, I was already picky and went for the add ons the big monsters and some sets like the Nagendra and Ghost Pirates because those I can use for my projects.

I pledged for Argent to sell it ( but shrinking it has reduced it's value already) and I did want those frost giants at first and pledged for them, I have to see those in real life, I didn; t care much for the changes they got and the wolf went from a favorite to a "wished I didn't get it" .

But I'm very very anxious to get Lost Valley, Darkreach and the Fan Favorite Pack, I also went in for the Roc, two Barges ( I might either convert or sell the second one) Nyarly will become a plant monster and I went for Gauth who will become a Lizardman Giant.

Also got the Zombie Dragon, Baba Yaga's Hut,the Dragon Turtle and the Dire Beasts and some Braziers for the Graveyard fence.

 

The Core set is awesome value, but it contained too much I didn't need.

I do have a lot of minis already, I backed for Bones II and III and got a lot from Bones I through retail, and I backed several other KS from Kensei and Lost KIngdoms.

So I'm getting more selective about what I buy.

Next time I will be aware of concept art.

 

I don't mind selling some stuff it's good value, but I try to buy most of it to keep and some extra to recoup some money.

As of now I have to wait till I get it for real, I'm looking at the pics you people put up and I find most of it awesome, with a few minor disapppointments and one big one...

 

All in all, still worth it.

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

This time I didn't take the core set, I was already picky and went for the add ons the big monsters and some sets like the Nagendra and Ghost Pirates because those I can use for my projects.

I pledged for Argent to sell it ( but shrinking it has reduced it's value already) and I did want those frost giants at first and pledged for them, I have to see those in real life, I didn; t care much for the changes they got and the wolf went from a favorite to a "wished I didn't get it" .

But I'm very very anxious to get Lost Valley, Darkreach and the Fan Favorite Pack, I also went in for the Roc, two Barges ( I might either convert or sell the second one) Nyarly will become a plant monster and I went for Gauth who will become a Lizardman Giant.

Also got the Zombie Dragon, Baba Yaga's Hut,the Dragon Turtle and the Dire Beasts and some Braziers for the Graveyard fence.

 

The Core set is awesome value, but it contained too much I didn't need.

I do have a lot of minis already, I backed for Bones II and III and got a lot from Bones I through retail, and I backed several other KS from Kensei and Lost KIngdoms.

So I'm getting more selective about what I buy.

Next time I will be aware of concept art.

 

I don't mind selling some stuff it's good value, but I try to buy most of it to keep and some extra to recoup some money.

As of now I have to wait till I get it for real, I'm looking at the pics you people put up and I find most of it awesome, with a few minor disapppointments and one big one...

 

All in all, still worth it.

 

 

The problem with people doing the $1 pledge to add later is the screw the stretch reward totals. I don't know if there is truly any heft to the dollar amount of orders post kickstarter but if there is it means less bang for the buck for the core set and potentially the availability of add-ons offered as incentive rewards. Bid early, bid often, push those stretch goals.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is possible to help the Kickstarter by pledging at the $1 level and just adding the things you want. Sure it isn’t as much as someone going all in, but i would rather that than feel like I wasted money on things like I do right now lol. 

 

I am happy with about 75% of what I got. And of a $600 pledge, that money could have been spent elsewhere if I had been more cautious

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
12 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'll be honest - a lot of the digitally sculpted figures just aren't as successful. There's some really stellar ones, but there are a lot that just lack that level of realism and detail that the hand-sculpted ones look like.

I was kind of wondering if the difference was digital vs hand sculpting, too.

 

11 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I finally got a delivery of my missing Fantasy Scenics. Did anyone else notice that the center of the astrolabe is a d20? :lol:

Yup, saw it right away.::):

 

5 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Well if anyone is really that unhappy with the frost giants or [insert your mini] ...you know...:rock:

Put 'em in the Box of Goodwill!:winkthumbs:

 

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Still need to do my core set thoughts post, assuming my LOTS OF PICS posts are useful to anyone. 

 

I can measure Dance of Death tomorrow, and I'll post a pic of that. 

 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Totally up to you of course, but I like seeing them.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concerning the current round of complaining (Yes, I know I participated; my sincerest apologies for that):

 

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

(cookie if you recognize it)

 

 

So, what did you like/are super happy about?

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I had gotten the core set and barge. Could have sold for quite a markup.   Will have to put bunch of stuff for sale.  Need to go get as much funds as possible to get the hopeful resin argent :)

 

now need to find someone going to reaper con.

 

I think I'm most excited to paint the dragon turtle and roc. Not sure when will get around to them though.   So many other projects I have on the go.  The life of a model painter hehe.

 

Did anyone have luck bending the Trex to make it closer to the concept art?

 

Regards,

 

sanjay 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Concerning the current round of complaining (Yes, I know I participated; my sincerest apologies for that):

 

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

(cookie if you recognize it)

 

 

So, what did you like/are super happy about?

 

I really, really, love the crab from the dire beasts section of the core set. 

20190421_092043.thumb.jpg.a65d26eb55fb6d31bb1a90a4e9b2637c.jpg

 

I also love the Statues (Amazonian and Spartan)

Spoiler

20190421_092108.thumb.jpg.958e46af47fb724af3984874ec16ade7.jpg20190417_233353.thumb.jpg.6d12da74d24ab1722d3a62629e6e6281.jpg

I'm happy with the Trolls, all of Darkreach, the Turtle,  the hill giants, fire giant, frost giant with the caribou, aaaaaand that's pretty much the extent of what I've assembled so far

Spoiler

20190421_092219.thumb.jpg.663a636be64350a033057427a71874f9.jpg20190421_092129.thumb.jpg.c970c7c2144bc1ec44124557af9631d2.jpg20190421_092148.thumb.jpg.ff3d2a260403a3a0fece2c2aa3e4550b.jpg20190421_092236.thumb.jpg.20e511233cfd31c912c26fcdb5fbdb6e.jpg

 

Edited by Kro
Edited to add pictures
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:
13 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'll be honest - a lot of the digitally sculpted figures just aren't as successful. There's some really stellar ones, but there are a lot that just lack that level of realism and detail that the hand-sculpted ones look like.

I was kind of wondering if the difference was digital vs hand sculpting, too.

 

Well, I don't see how sculpting in Zbrush would have lead to that weird facial expression of the wolf. That must have looked weird in the renders as well.

The wolf is the thing I don't really like either, but to be fair to the 3d artist, we didn't see terribly much of him in the drawing. Half the body is covered by one of the giantesses. 

 

In general a lot of the concept art for Bones looks more like inspirational images to me, not typical concept art. We usually just get one picture from one angle, which is not how I know concept art. Translating an image like that into 3d while keeping all details and the pose exactly is hard to expect from that. And from my understanding, Reaper is big on letting the sculptors be artists as well, and not just copy bots of the drawings they were given.

Also, while I really like Izzie's style, it's a very distinct one I don't really see represented in any of the models.

 

On a more positive note, I really like the sculpt of Argent. I know, it's a bid of a departure from other Bones dragons, but I like that he looks so different and his head is more massive.

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

 

 

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

(cookie if you recognize it)

 

 

So, what did you like/are super happy about?

 

 

What an Oddball thing to say...:;): 

 

While I wait for my doomed items to make it to reaper I’m really liking all the nice photos everyone is sharing. The zombie and skeletal dragons are looking especially good.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...