Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

54 minutes ago, Jason Zavoda said:

I was looking at my UPS tracking and hoping that it might have jumped ahead from Weds delivery (but I mean Weds only feels far off when Im reading these posts) and i notice my package is only 11.6 pounds. What in blazes did some people order to gert 40+ pound packages?

One of everything, 2 or more of a couple things would do it.

I would really love a year off before Bones 5, or at least after Reapercon...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm stuck waiting for news on when the Yaga the Hutt will show up again, even though I got into wave 2!  I totally understand Reaper's choices in shipping, and agree with them, but I gotta say it's a bit disappointing to get in so early and still have to wait at what feels like the end of the line.

Oh, well.  I've had worse things than late miniatures happen in the last year.  If this is the worst thing that happens to me in 2019 then I will count myself lucky.

My daughter has too much Easter candy, but searching for eggs is so much fun!  I think next year I might pick out some miniatures for her to find, as well as other small toys.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jason Zavoda said:

I was looking at my UPS tracking and hoping that it might have jumped ahead from Weds delivery (but I mean Weds only feels far off when Im reading these posts) and i notice my package is only 11.6 pounds. What in blazes did some people order to gert 40+ pound packages?

you can see what a 36lb box looks like here:)

https://youtu.be/4GYvQWqULT8

1 hour ago, Monkeywizard said:

For the US backers that are now receiving their packages.. Is there a signature required for delivery, or does UPS leave it?

I was stalking my UPS driver:) Love how he said "it's heavy":) Yah, yah it is:rock:

22 minutes ago, Argentee said:

One of everything, 2 or more of a couple things would do it.

I would really love a year off before Bones 5, or at least after Reapercon...

Yah, a year off would be nice, but I think it'll kick off at ReaperCon. Yah singles of most everything, multiples here as well

11 minutes ago, John Fiala said:

I'm stuck waiting for news on when the Yaga the Hutt will show up again, even though I got into wave 2!  I totally understand Reaper's choices in shipping, and agree with them, but I gotta say it's a bit disappointing to get in so early and still have to wait at what feels like the end of the line.

Oh, well.  I've had worse things than late miniatures happen in the last year.  If this is the worst thing that happens to me in 2019 then I will count myself lucky.

My daughter has too much Easter candy, but searching for eggs is so much fun!  I think next year I might pick out some miniatures for her to find, as well as other small toys.

Mini's in plastic eggs, I am thinking about that as well:)

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

i'm the opposite. I got the coreset when I should have just gotten the bits of it I wanted, i don't know what i was thinking. I'm not going to use a lot of the minis in the core set, and not going to enjoy painting them, so i'm not going to get as much enjoyment from them as i would those movie tickets. 

what i enjoy are the big things. I like to paint them, i hate painting humanoids and tiny figures. I only do them because the hubby uses them for gaming, except even he didn't need the entire core set. I wish i knew what i was thinking 2 years ago when i pledged for it, hindsight is always 20/20

the value of the core set is amazing, but it doesn't do much when the figures sit unpainted in a box for years because we don't need them and selling on ebay is a horrible pain in the butt that i don't want to deal with, so they sit there waiting to be chopped up for conversion parts.

I didn't go in big for KS 2 & 3, just cherry picked, because after KS1 I felt a lot like this.  Too many minis, not enough I'm going to use or enjoy painting, especially with boxes and boxes of unpainted metal I already owned.  Stuff sat for years and every now and then I'd paint one or two or a dozen Bones for a game.  I now prefer the Bones for gaming, because even in a padded case the metal gets bent and paint rubs off corners and sharp edges. 

Then over the weekend I found myself looking at the bottom of the box we keep the Bones in, and a bunch of mostly empty zip bags and I was kind of surprised. Having a game group that uses the minis played a big part in getting them painted.  Even though I don't care for dwarves, we needed a few for other people to play.  We needed boring skeletons, a few guys in armor, some evil guy, and other stuff I never would have been excited to paint until the GM asked, "Hey, do you have a ....?"  Stuff I never thought I'd find a use for got painted. 

I wish we'd got more of KS3.  I did pick up a lot of it after it went retail, but I probably should have got it during the KS.   DH is the one who prefers the large figures, except he hasn't painted anything really big yet.  Cthulhu has been sitting on the top shelf for years, but we don't regret getting it.  He did a nice job on the red dragon, though.   I'm intimidated by the big stuff.   I took DDS2 out of the box one weekend,  and it went right back into the box.  I haven't painted a single dragon, but I wouldn't give them up even though we'll likely never use them. 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

i'm the opposite. I got the coreset when I should have just gotten the bits of it I wanted, i don't know what i was thinking. I'm not going to use a lot of the minis in the core set, and not going to enjoy painting them, so i'm not going to get as much enjoyment from them as i would those movie tickets. 

what i enjoy are the big things. I like to paint them, i hate painting humanoids and tiny figures. I only do them because the hubby uses them for gaming, except even he didn't need the entire core set. I wish i knew what i was thinking 2 years ago when i pledged for it, hindsight is always 20/20

the value of the core set is amazing, but it doesn't do much when the figures sit unpainted in a box for years because we don't need them and selling on ebay is a horrible pain in the butt that i don't want to deal with, so they sit there waiting to be chopped up for conversion parts.

namely what i'm saying is that not all people get the enjoyment out of it as everyone else, we're all different

Same here, which is why I have avoided any of the sets and only went for add ons. (I cheat and try to buy characters from DnDs Icons of the Realms and Pathfinder Battles as they are usually only $2-$6 each, not a ton more than bones)

As far as Argent is concerned,

Pros - Argent is a named silver dragon, so perfect size for him now , 8 inches

- would like a more Bahumut looking sculpt in the future (frills around head and longer neck)

Cons - Would like a HUGE metallic dragon for Ma'al

• Like 7

I'm actually contemplating selling my personal Argent now. I just don't think he'll be adequate as an opposite to Ma'al Drakar on the shelves, as I'd originally envisioned him. I got one to paint for a friend's birthday present this year, so that one I'll hold onto, but the one for myself, I just don't know about.

I bought a Core. I wasn't originally planning on it, having gotten a bunch of stuff in Bones 2 and 3, but my calculations of what bundles from the Core I wanted put me almost at the Core price, so why not just go about $10 more and get way more stuff I might use or sell? Definitely worth the money, IMHO.

I really hope Bones 5 waits a while, because OT is going to be few and far between for the next few months at my new job. On the other hand, I also will have less time to paint now that I'm no longer in a position where I could comfortably paint miniatures during my workday, so it'll take me much longer to get through everything. I'll need to find a spot in my house I can setup a decent painting space going forward...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Monkeywizard said:

I'm fine with no signature required.. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to leave work early/call in when it's supposed to be delivered. 

no no .. you *must* leave work early to get your Bones!!! :ph34r:

• Like 5

I catalogued the Fan Favorites expansion. Every mini present and accounted for. Haven't counted parts yet.

Argent is fine. Some big spots on the wings where the injection ports broke away in a jagged mess. Will fix later.

Extra monsters set is present and accounted for. The closest I came to a missing piece was when a griffon's arm rolled under my desk ::P: Owlbear is assembled.

Giant snek is giant. I put him on the gaming table where people could see it when they walked in for game on Saturday. There were minute pauses then evil grins. It was awesome.

I pulled Gauth out of the core set. He was right on top. But I have not begun to inventory.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Kro said:

53797694_1256255451207463_5731602301387276288_n.thumb.png.3c9c1b170740d91f6ca2a66c30f947b3.png

Lol, this will be me until I finally finish assembling all of bones 4... finished dreadmere and darkreach x2, partway into the core/lost valley. Haven't put any fan favorites together yet. 

20190421_165529.thumb.jpg.fc5123eee07811ee9aaafbd7371557d6.jpg

where did you get your displasy shelves?  They look fantastic. Man I want my Bones.

• Like 5

First up will be "Ash"  my zombie red dragon.  I'm planning lots of contrast between bloodless zombieflesh and brilliant crimson scales. 

I have a lot of painted dragons on 3" bases.  Ash will fit right in. 

not terribly happy with Argent.  I think his size is fine, and I knew he had been shrunk since the original concept, but those are some heavy wings. 

I should really do some metal minis first - I am painting up a box for a friend, and I need to do 4 a month to finish on time. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10