ladystorm

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Suden said:

Here's a pic I posted a while back:

2077581712_2019-04-0508_49_19.jpg.a99fcff84cd574156839ea241c466b97.thumb.jpg.66ed8f788f9c04236fa36a1b293b6018.jpg

I only dry fit it together, and so some fangy bits are still on their sprues near the head. It needs some boiling, the base was warped, but it's a very nice looking piece. That's a man-sized old-school bones mini on the front for scale.

Ah dang, no top hat on the sprue. As a joke Izzy drew one concept with a top hat. I was hoping as a joke it would have been included.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

agreed, my issue with the gel is that it doesn't seem to have the coverage necessary for a proper tight glue and the pieces seem to just come apart later or not stick at all

Personally, that is one reason I like the gel.  I put all of mine together with a couple little dots of gell on the sides of the tabs.  This allows me to use them, but when I want to paint one I can break it apart, deflash, and paint as needed.  So gel for initial assembly, liquid for permanent.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

The way I assemble things is I start out with liquid super glue. This generally results in me gluing my fingers to the figure, but mysteriously the two parts of the figure remain totally free of each other. I then say a few inappropriate words. I try again, same result, and so I ensure that the cap is fully secured onto the tube and then I violently throw the tube across the desk. I say more inappropriate words. Then I try the gel super glue. I hold the pieces together for a solid five minutes. I release....and the two parts of the figure tumble to the desk as though I attempted to glue them together with nothing more than hopes and dreams. I say more inappropriate words. Repeat the whole process a few more times, going back to the liquid super glue, then back to the gel super glue, utter a lot more inappropriate words, maybe cry a little and threaten to throw the figure in the garbage. Somehow, most likely because all of my inappropriate words have come together as a magic spell that binds things rather than the glue working properly, I manage to get the figure assembled. I proceed to paint it. Toward the end of painting, the two parts come apart again. I pretend not to notice so that I can put the figure away in a display case instead of the dumpster.

This is not a funny story, this is literally what happens every time I try to assemble something. Just ask @buglips*the*goblin

I've had enough similar experiences to believe every word of this. I've never understood how super glue of any type can instabond nearly permanently if you get it on a finger or misalign the parts. Yet when everything is put together in the proper way it doesn't grip at all. I use a variety of glues and they all have their quirks but none are as handy or frustrating as any brand of super glue I've used.

• Like 12

didnt realize ppl had so many issues with glues.  i just use lepage ultra gel from walmart.  for plastics, GW plastic glue is good.  for anything that needs superhold (like very large resin models), gorilla epoxy glue. Gaps filled with apoxie sculpt.

the liquid glues are annoying.  gels are so much easier to manage.

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Zink said:

I've had enough similar experiences to believe every word of this. I've never understood how super glue of any type can instabond nearly permanently if you get it on a finger or misalign the parts. Yet when everything is put together in the proper way it doesn't grip at all. I use a variety of glues and they all have their quirks but none are as handy or frustrating as any brand of super glue I've used.

If you don't have it yet, get yourself a bottle of super glue accelerator (I use Bob Smith industries).  One Spritz and the glue bonds instantly.  I don't know why super glue is so finicky sometime, but this little bottle helps keep the frustration down.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

The way I assemble things is I start out with liquid super glue. This generally results in me gluing my fingers to the figure, but mysteriously the two parts of the figure remain totally free of each other. I then say a few inappropriate words. I try again, same result, and so I ensure that the cap is fully secured onto the tube and then I violently throw the tube across the desk. I say more inappropriate words. Then I try the gel super glue. I hold the pieces together for a solid five minutes. I release....and the two parts of the figure tumble to the desk as though I attempted to glue them together with nothing more than hopes and dreams. I say more inappropriate words. Repeat the whole process a few more times, going back to the liquid super glue, then back to the gel super glue, utter a lot more inappropriate words, maybe cry a little and threaten to throw the figure in the garbage. Somehow, most likely because all of my inappropriate words have come together as a magic spell that binds things rather than the glue working properly, I manage to get the figure assembled. I proceed to paint it. Toward the end of painting, the two parts come apart again. I pretend not to notice so that I can put the figure away in a display case instead of the dumpster.

This is not a funny story, this is literally what happens every time I try to assemble something. Just ask @buglips*the*goblin

do you wash your minis before your glue? that only happens to me if i try to glue without washing, and the mold release fuddles the glue

10 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

the liquid glues are annoying.  gels are so much easier to manage.

Sanjay

everyone is different and has different success, i suppose. I've never had gel glue work for me. It just globs there and then rubs off when i try to put the pieces together without ever sticking, while liquid glue dabs a bit on the tab, a bit in the socket, and goes together instantly with no fuss and no mess

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Personally, that is one reason I like the gel.  I put all of mine together with a couple little dots of gell on the sides of the tabs.  This allows me to use them, but when I want to paint one I can break it apart, deflash, and paint as needed.  So gel for initial assembly, liquid for permanent.

I use gel regularly and have seldom encountered an issue with unstable connections.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

do you wash your minis before your glue? that only happens to me if i try to glue without washing, and the mold release fuddles the glue

Hmm, I've never washed before glueing... might explain a couple troublesome pieces I've had, but on the whole everything goes together and stays together fine

For the most part I use the loctite superglue gel (occasionally the bob smith stuff when I'm out of the locrite gel)

Edited by Kro
Adding the glue I use
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zink said:

There's a reason superglue was used by the military as a medical supply to patch up soldiers and keep them from bleeding.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

this is not a  funny story, this is literally what happens every time I try to assemble something. Just ask @buglips*the*goblin

Do you wash the minis first to remove any residue?

Also with a little file, roughen up the areas that need to be glued a little.

It helps with bonding.

Wow.

On the KS comments someone is blaming Reaper that some people put their stuff on Ebay before he gets his pledge.

Someone even tells others to not back the next KS because of this?

Reaper can't help others selling their stuff when they get it?

It would be different if it was all in the store before you got your reward, but this?

People are ...eh...they are....I'm not going to swear here.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 7