Jump to content

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread


ladystorm
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
23 minutes ago, farrout000 said:

If you don't have it yet, get yourself a bottle of super glue accelerator (I use Bob Smith industries).  One Spritz and the glue bonds instantly.  I don't know why super glue is so finicky sometime, but this little bottle helps keep the frustration down.

Using the accelerant for me always results in a glob of dried glue on either piece but still leaves them as separate pieces.

 

23 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

 

do you wash your minis before your glue? that only happens to me if i try to glue without washing, and the mold release fuddles the glue

Yep, I scrub them with water and dish soap on an old toothbrush.

 

20 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

@Guindyloo is from New Orleans. I assume there's a curse involved.

 

Have you tried dancing with a dead chicken? I hear that helps.

I think this is most likely the culprit; I don't appreciate whoever it was that cursed me and I hope they know what kind of bad gris-gris this is. 

I should visit Marie Laveau, it would only take me about 20 minutes to pop over and have a word with her. Thanks, Doug, this is actually the most promising advice I've ever gotten for solving my super glue woes! :lol:

 

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

Do you wash the minis first to remove any residue?

Also with a little file, roughen up the areas that need to be glued a little.

It helps with bonding.

Yes, trust me, Buglips has given me every suggestion possible and I have tried every suggestion possible. Super glue just hates me. *shrug*

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 13
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they are done for today. 7471 orders left. Still working on Wave 11. 16 orders short of 2/3 completion. Seems they were olny about half as productive today as in the past. Hopefully that is due to goode things coming tomorrow.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Looks like they are done for today. 7471 orders left. Still working on Wave 11. 16 orders short of 2/3 completion. Seems they were olny about half as productive today as in the past. Hopefully that is due to goode things coming tomorrow.

 

I am in Wave 11 and did not get a shipping notification in my email. But they also said that any shipping info will be in the Pledge Manager?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DBloom said:

 

I am in Wave 11 and did not get a shipping notification in my email. But they also said that any shipping info will be in the Pledge Manager?

 

In the pledge manager it should be just below your contact info and above your list of what you paid for

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Using the accelerant for me always results in a glob of dried glue on either piece but still leaves them as separate pieces.

 

Yep, I scrub them with water and dish soap on an old toothbrush.

 

I think this is most likely the culprit; I don't appreciate whoever it was that cursed me and I hope they know what kind of bad gris-gris this is. 

I should visit Marie Laveau, it would only take me about 20 minutes to pop over and have a word with her. Thanks, Doug, this is actually the most promising advice I've ever gotten for solving my super glue woes! :lol:

 

Yes, trust me, Buglips has given me every suggestion possible and I have tried every suggestion possible. Super glue just hates me. *shrug*

Did Buglips handle it at any point? That could be the cause of all of your problems. Or at least that particular clone of him.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jason Zavoda said:

 

In the pledge manager it should be just below your contact info and above your list of what you paid for

 

Oh wow now I see it. Must have shipped this morning since the last time I checked it. Woohoo!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Also with a little file, roughen up the areas that need to be glued a little.

It helps with bonding.

 

Not so much with super glue. The bonding mechanism is adhesion rather than mechanical interference and glue-glue cohesion. Super glue works best when the surfaces are very smooth and conform to each other as perfectly as possible.

 

Which is why the early commercials showed two steel blocks bonded together. Milled and polished steel gives you a nearly perfect bonding surface for CA glues.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DBloom said:

 

I am in Wave 11 and did not get a shipping notification in my email. But they also said that any shipping info will be in the Pledge Manager?

 

Also check your spam folder. A lot of people have had thier notification go there for some reason.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Not so much with super glue. The bonding mechanism is adhesion rather than mechanical interference and glue-glue cohesion. Super glue works best when the surfaces are very smooth and conform to each other as perfectly as possible.

 

Which is why the early commercials showed two steel blocks bonded together. Milled and polished steel gives you a nearly perfect bonding surface for CA glues.

download.jpg.0499170a68e203fdb72c1e38dc6916f4.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I use thin super glue most often when assembling Bones figures. When I need more volume, I usually go to epoxy rather than gel super glue. But then I don't much trust the shear strength of super glue, especially when there's a little slop in a joint (as there often is when you need volume).

 

I also use thin super glue and baking soda for gap filling quite a bit.

 

So much this.

 

I keep an assortment of glues and adhesives at my hobby station for different uses. Generally, I will have liquid super glue, gel super glue, some form of 2-part epoxy (usually 5-minute), 1-2 plastic cements, and green stuff on-hand for all my attachment and gap filling needs.

 

@Doug Sundseth Thanks for the tip on the adhesion properties for superglue. It's good to know.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

keep an assortment of glues and adhesives at my hobby station for different uses. Generally, I will have liquid super glue, gel super glue, some form of 2-part epoxy (usually 5-minute), 1-2 plastic cements, and green stuff on-hand for all my attachment and gap filling needs

What do you use plastic cement for versus super glue?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, farrout000 said:

What do you use plastic cement for versus super glue?

 

I can't speak for @klarg1, but I use plastic solvent for styrene miniatures like the multi-part Frostgrave soldier sprues.

 

Hint for the frugal: Acetone and MEK are available in larger quantities at low prices from hardware stores, at least in the US, as paint strippers and solvents.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

Do you wash the minis first to remove any residue?

Also with a little file, roughen up the areas that need to be glued a little.

It helps with bonding.

 

 

Wow.

On the KS comments someone is blaming Reaper that some people put their stuff on Ebay before he gets his pledge.

Someone even tells others to not back the next KS because of this?

Reaper can't help others selling their stuff when they get it?

It would be different if it was all in the store before you got your reward, but this?

People are ...eh...they are....I'm not going to swear here.

 

I saw a similar comment in the facebook pages. Remembering their comment on 12 barges to one customer, and someone on Ebay having 12 barges to sell, I think we know what happened:) Agree with you though, Reaper cannot control what people do after fulfillment. 

1 minute ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

I can't speak for @klarg1, but I use plastic solvent for styrene miniatures like the multi-part Frostgrave soldier sprues.

 

Hint for the frugal: Acetone and MEK are available in larger quantities at low prices from hardware stores, at least in the US, as paint strippers and solvents.

I thought MEK was banned? I haven't used that stuff since my Air Force days in the early 90's, and they were phasing them out then because they are so unhealthy.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I thought MEK was banned? I haven't used that stuff since my Air Force days in the early 90's, and they were phasing them out then because they are so unhealthy.

 

I bought a quart at Home Depot maybe 1-2 years ago. Looks like they don't carry it any more, but Lowes is still listing it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...