Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

19 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Got my Chronoscope today, but my frriend forgot to order my triceratops! Waaaagh! Anyhoo, most everything is good except one droid was broken at the legs and the sprue for my toolbots was malformed. I will let Reaper know tomorrow, but overall, I am happy!

When I have used an airbrush to prime Bones, I will thin it with window cleaner and have had no problems with not sticking well.

I did not thin the primer/liner in the airbrush. It was specifically airbrush primer, so it didn't need it. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO Reaper has always had a communication/PR problem due to the way that they choose to structure the dissemination of information. ie. We can't post an update because it's not update day. We can't gi

So I'm later than I had hoped to be.  I have content for this week, but let's pick the second January update (fourth Friday 1/25/19) Content. Five options.  Use the Like this post options to cast

Survey Time!   I'm going to let yall have a wee bit of input on the next Expansion Pack I feature for the updates. I have parameters I have to follow, so it isn't super open for yall to

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I did not thin the primer/liner in the airbrush. It was specifically airbrush primer, so it didn't need it

Did you ever find that the grey Vallejo primer sometimes doesn't adhere well? I've never had a problem with black Vallejo primer through an air brush, but the grey seems to scrape off smooth sections of plastic and the sides of reaper bases... I do full prep with washing and even roughing up the surface but it still scrapes off which is disappointing.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I don't think I ever expected to mention gris-gris on the forum. ::P:

Speaking of, I wonder what we would get if someone asked for a Kooshma figure in the Bones we would like to see thread? It might be a good addition to the Dreadmere. :devil:

There was a Buffy episode, "Killed by Death" where she had to fight a demon in a hospital that only sick kids could see. It stole their life as the kids lay on their backs. I always wondered if that idea was inspired by the Kooshma from Cajun folklore. I kinda doubt it, as no one outside of the area generally know much about Cajuns, but you never know?

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Speaking of, I wonder what we would get if someone asked for a Kooshma figure in the Bones we would like to see thread? It might be a good addition to the Dreadmere. :devil:

There was a Buffy episode, "Killed by Death" where she had to fight a demon in a hospital that only sick kids could see. It stole their life as the kids lay on their backs. I always wondered if that idea was inspired by the Kooshma from Cajun folklore. I kinda doubt it, as no one outside of the area generally know much about Cajuns, but you never know?

They may or may not have. Shows like that will sometimes do research on mythologies from a variety of areas. Or they come up with what sounds cool. That was an excellent early Buffy episode. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Yes, trust me, Buglips has given me every suggestion possible and I have tried every suggestion possible. Super glue just hates me. *shrug*

Hate it back. It works for me.::D:

Is it me, or are the Core set figures kinda light gray?

• Like 8
1 hour ago, StarFyre said:

that explains it.  but thats how i paint. very thin layers. lots of layers, etc.  basically unless its a model i dont care about at all, i generally paint that way on everything. 

Sanjay

Once you have at least one layer down on a Bones figure, you can paint the same way you normally would on metal or resin. Reaper liners work well for that (with the possible exception of Sepia), and I've found that Badger Stynylrez primers work well too.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, farrout000 said:

Did you ever find that the grey Vallejo primer sometimes doesn't adhere well? I've never had a problem with black Vallejo primer through an air brush, but the grey seems to scrape off smooth sections of plastic and the sides of reaper bases... I do full prep with washing and even roughing up the surface but it still scrapes off which is disappointing.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the Vallejo primer takes ages to cure properly (at least 24 hours).

I've had bad experiences with the grey primer as well, nowadays I use the Reaper primers pretty much exclusively. Their Black Primer 9214 is amazing- I've even used it successfully on that awful shiny resin that sometimes arrives from Forgeworld ^_^

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that the Vallejo primer takes ages to cure properly (at least 24 hours).

I've had bad experiences with the grey primer as well, nowadays I use the Reaper primers pretty much exclusively. Their Black Primer 9214 is amazing- I've even used it successfully on that awful shiny resin that sometimes arrives from Forgeworld ^_^

I usually prime weeks worth of minis at once, it does adhere better after a few days, but still not well enough as I'd like.  I just grabbed some of the badger primer I'm going to try next, but I'll try the reaper stuff next.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, haldir said:

Ah dang, no top hat on the sprue. As a joke Izzy drew one concept with a top hat. I was hoping as a joke it would have been included.

Easy enough to make a top hat out of heavy construction paper or Bristol board.

Flock it for a Beaver Hat look or paint it shiny for silk and decorate to suit.

GEM

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Hate it back. It works for me.::D:

Is it me, or are the Core set figures kinda light gray?

Yes. All new Bones figures are going gray unless otherwise stated. 

Bones is gray. Bones Black is gray. Some mushrooms are purple. 

WHY they called it Bones Black when it is "the new gray" is beyond me. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
6 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:
6 hours ago, haldir said:

Ah dang, no top hat on the sprue. As a joke Izzy drew one concept with a top hat. I was hoping as a joke it would have been included.

Easy enough to make a top hat out of heavy construction paper or Bristol board.

Flock it for a Beaver Hat look or paint it shiny for silk and decorate to suit.

GEM

I need this top hat reference explained plz.

My popculturally-challenged syndrome is once again hampering understanding. 

3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I thought the free, monthly ones starting with the owlbear are a harder darker formulation...?  I have been wrong on the internet before. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
6 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It's the Death Metal of miniatures. Well the Death Metal of plastic miniatures, anyway.

The only real question is why there aren't any umlauts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11
18 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Once you have at least one layer down on a Bones figure, you can paint the same way you normally would on metal or resin. Reaper liners work well for that (with the possible exception of Sepia), and I've found that Badger Stynylrez primers work well too.

Stynylrez is amazing! I prime everything with that stuff. around 30 psi and straight from the bottle works every time.  These are not bones 4, but they should show how well stynylrez covers:

bugbear.thumb.jpg.346147686a9186a08e196501e13edb44.jpg

1485457936_orcswordandboard.thumb.jpg.87e0cbdc360b8784f7fda202335459da.jpg

1637708575_sirforscale.thumb.jpg.cb2a3d081d519fcd212be6c6bb25a044.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Yes. All new Bones figures are going gray unless otherwise stated. 

Bones is gray. Bones Black is gray. Some mushrooms are purple. 

They said a few "reaper live" episodes ago the name just sounded COOLER then bones gray

• Like 9
  • Haha 4
12 minutes ago, TGP said:

I need this top hat reference explained plz.

My popculturally-challenged syndrome is once again hampering understanding. 

I thought the free, monthly ones starting with the owlbear are a harder darker formulation...?  I have been wrong on the internet before. 

The owlbear freebie was the first Bones Black figure released. 

2 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Stynylrez is amazing! I prime everything with that stuff. around 30 psi and straight from the bottle works every time.  These are not bones 4, but they should show how well stynylrez covers:

They said a few "reaper live" episodes ago the name just sounded COOLER then bones gray

It might sound cooling, but it is super confusing when they make everything gray. If the regular Bones were staying white, then the gray looks darker, and can be dubbed Black Enough. Now... 

They lack contrast. Yep. Went there. No contrast. They need to get their naming and their coloring schemes to have contrast! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2