Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oooooo, my sacks and jars make an appearance.  I haven't seen them in a while.  Thanks for sharing your great job on them.

Using Liner as a Primer:  I'd like to note that you really do not need to have a solid well-covered layer of liner to get the effect needed.  You simply need to stain the entire surface of the bones in liner.  For me when I use Brown Liner on a white bones, this ends in the mini being a blotchy, light tan, and, once dry, this has the same holding effect as a full coat (also obscures less detail than a full primer coat).

The fastest method I have found (and the one I use to prep my class minis) is the ziplock bag method (works best on troll/griffin sized minis and smaller; the small minis bouncing around agitate and distribute the paint):

1.  Wash the bones in a bath of simple green and water, rinse very well, and shake them in a towel.  Try not to touch them at this point.

2. Into a 1 Gallon ziplock bag, put in 60 drops of MSP brown or blue liner and 15 to 20 drops of water, squeezing the bottom of the bag to mix the two.

3.  Fill the bag 1/2 full of washed Bones minis. Blow some air into the bag and seal it so it is puffy like a pillow.

4.  Shake the carp out of the bag for a few minutes until everything in the bag is brown.  Let it sit for a minute so that the excess drains off the minis.

5. Remove the minis onto several paper towels and wrap them loosely in the towels.  Shake the minis in the towels letting them bounce around in the towels to get off the excess.

6. Stand them up on another paper towel and let them dry.

7. Touch up any areas that were missed completely.  Most of the mini should be light brown or light blue, probably a bit blotchy (the bones material should show through the paint).

8. Proceed to paint as normal

You can typically do a few batches this way, and can seal the bag and reuse it many times.  Before ReaperCon, I typically prep 20 to 30 minis this way (anyone who has taken one of my painting classes can likely vouch for the viability of the product this produces).

Bear in mind I have not yet tried this with Bones black.  It should work, but given the more brittle nature of the Black, I'd shake more gently with a lot more of a rolling motion than with normal Bones.

I think Bones Black may have one problem with this - the swords are more stabby. Your bag will pop. Regular Bones swords would bend. These ones will poke right through, just like a toothpick or a martini-olive-skewer would. I suspect shaking would be fine. They survived UPS, they can survive shaking here. Maybe don't "shake the carp out" but a generic shake would be okay, if you don't burst the bag. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oooooo, my sacks and jars make an appearance.  I haven't seen them in a while.  Thanks for sharing your great job on them.

Using Liner as a Primer:  I'd like to note that you really do not need to have a solid well-covered layer of liner to get the effect needed.  You simply need to stain the entire surface of the bones in liner.  For me when I use Brown Liner on a white bones, this ends in the mini being a blotchy, light tan, and, once dry, this has the same holding effect as a full coat (also obscures less detail than a full primer coat).

The fastest method I have found (and the one I use to prep my class minis) is the ziplock bag method (works best on troll/griffin sized minis and smaller; the small minis bouncing around agitate and distribute the paint):

1.  Wash the bones in a bath of simple green and water, rinse very well, and shake them in a towel.  Try not to touch them at this point.

2. Into a 1 Gallon ziplock bag, put in 60 drops of MSP brown or blue liner and 15 to 20 drops of water, squeezing the bottom of the bag to mix the two.

3.  Fill the bag 1/2 full of washed Bones minis. Blow some air into the bag and seal it so it is puffy like a pillow.

4.  Shake the carp out of the bag for a few minutes until everything in the bag is brown.  Let it sit for a minute so that the excess drains off the minis.

5. Remove the minis onto several paper towels and wrap them loosely in the towels.  Shake the minis in the towels letting them bounce around in the towels to get off the excess.

6. Stand them up on another paper towel and let them dry.

7. Touch up any areas that were missed completely.  Most of the mini should be light brown or light blue, probably a bit blotchy (the bones material should show through the paint).

8. Proceed to paint as normal

You can typically do a few batches this way, and can seal the bag and reuse it many times.  Before ReaperCon, I typically prep 20 to 30 minis this way (anyone who has taken one of my painting classes can likely vouch for the viability of the product this produces).

::o:

That's brilliant! I wish I'd thought of that for my classes last year. I mean really, who primes 30 minis by hand?! 

:lol:

... :ik_oops:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 7
  • Haha 11

14 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I think Bones Black may have one problem with this - the swords are more stabby. Your bag will pop. Regular Bones swords would bend. These ones will poke right through, just like a toothpick or a martini-olive-skewer would. I suspect shaking would be fine. They survived UPS, they can survive shaking here. Maybe don't "shake the carp out" but a generic shake would be okay, if you don't burst the bag. 

Duh. You could use a sealed up tupperware instead of a ziplock bag. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Duh. You could use a sealed up tupperware instead of a ziplock bag. 

Good point.  I have also used a glass quart jar and that worked too.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, PeterBenjaminParker said:

So are they still in stock with Frost Giants? That’s impressive! I’m wave 14 and ordered them so I’ll keep my fingers crossed that they have enough to ship my order tomorrow ::D:

I don't know if we've officially received word that the Frost Giantesses are still in stock or not. I'd honestly be surprised if they were...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jaarlask said:

Can I get a link to the shipment tracker again? Every time I save it it vanishes the next day.

http://forum.reapermini.com/ks

for future reference, it's the same address as the forum, just with /ks added to the end. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

There are multiple orders per pledger - Reaper has confirmed that every order made on the pledge manager shows up as a separate order in the tracker. For example, I had 5 orders, so I had 5 ticks on the order tracker.

Did you check your pledge manager for info, as well as your spam?

Given that you and your 5 orders are likely an outlier, the person assuming 10 orders per backer was just silly.  Any remaining Wave 1 backers confirmed late and the vast majority are going to be just 1 order hence why they locked in late.  Assuming the average of later waves are consistent with the 1.3 orders per backer, we are still talking about 4500 backers waiting.  All depends how many, if any post-KS backers didn't ship today that have their items in stock... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dontmindme said:

Given that you and your 5 orders are likely an outlier, the person assuming 10 orders per backer was just silly.  Any remaining Wave 1 backers confirmed late and the vast majority are going to be just 1 order hence why they locked in late.  Assuming the average of later waves are consistent with the 1.3 orders per backer, we are still talking about 4500 backers waiting.  All depends how many, if any post-KS backers didn't ship today that have their items in stock... 

Well not 10 orders, but I was a wave 1 that locked in Jan of 2018 and I ended up with 3 orders.  I forgot that you can lock and then add more, a mistake that I will not make again.  I doubt too many others are in the same situations though.

Oracle

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dontmindme said:

I had at least two digits worth of orders, as a wave one backer, and I got the impression I wasn't the only one. (there was a lot of stuff I wanted, and I plotted over the time the PM was open to get ... pretty much all of it). Came out to thirteen or so orders, give or take, as I slowly filled my list.

So, y'know. There's that. It's not good to make assumptions, and even speculation can be super-risky around here. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Jaarlask said:

you're a gem!

thanks!

>Raises Head<

Did Somebody Call?

GEM

21 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I had at least two digits worth of orders, as a wave one backer, and I got the impression I wasn't the only one. (there was a lot of stuff I wanted, and I plotted over the time the PM was open to get ... pretty much all of it). Came out to thirteen or so orders, give or take, as I slowly filled my list.

So, y'know. There's that. It's not good to make assumptions, and even speculation can be super-risky around here. 

Net effect in the end was the same but I took a different route.

While the campaign was active and stretch goals were revealed I kept bumping my pledge.

At the end, I ended up with two orders, the huge order that was my pledge while the campaign was active plus a couple of add-ons at the end, including the Hot Lead Bundle that was offered after the campaign closed.

GEM

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

We know there were 16,200 Kickstarter backers.  We also know there were additional backers who joined after the Kickstarter closed.  Seemingly at least 500, probably more than 1000 unless you want to claim they all have double-digit orders too.  Yet, when the tracker started, there seem to have been fewer than 23,000 orders at the start.  That does not add up to a substantial number of people with 10+ orders.  Call it "assumption" or "speculation" all you want, but I think it's pretty clear that your estimate of only 500-600 backers on hold is wildly off...

I have a large order that I locked in just once with no additions.  My educated guess is that the majority of people decided what they wanted, locked it in, and never looked back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I don't know if we've officially received word that the Frost Giantesses are still in stock or not. I'd honestly be surprised if they were...

Just received my order shipping.  Wave 13 with the giants.  I'm guessing with the skipped orders for the tree and hut, it allowed them to get to the end with the giants.

• Like 6