Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

19 hours ago, Rat13 said:

Agreed, the worst to inventory were bases, especially if you bought a ton like I did. All the pledge manager says for bases however are a bunch of random numbers. 

It's annoying but I think the numbers match up to the stock number for the particular base. I went in for a few packs myself so I know the feeling. Now that I'm favoring the flatter Wizkids base over the Reaper size ones, I have a dilemma, ha ha.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brianuk said:

Overall am really pleased. The detail on these figures is incredible. Nothing like the first bones, really crisp but hard to show on a smart phone or YouTube video. Have a couple of gripes but those are mainly about some things being smaller than I expected. The frost giant ranger for example is a lovely one piece figure but was presented in my view on the KS as bigger. The giant crab is pretty small. Things like that. They get balanced out though by a number of the models being huge. So the Lost Valley spikey back club tail dinosaur (not its archaeological name) is huge. Really pleased over all and worth the wait. Now on to painting... 

The sizing of things is all over in this KS. Overall it's great but there are some things that is like why was it chosen this way? Ex. would be the cyclops, now I know Reaper is not a D&D minis company but with that rpg being the most popular, I'd think they'd want to at least get close to the game size for the creature. The mini is barely a large creature, it's more of a half med/half large. Cyclops in 5e are huge. Now they are large in Pathfinder so it'll fit in that system. I guess this one stick out to me right now due to I've thought about planning a upcoming adventure that has a cyclops in it & hey I have one! Errr ummm ok then, next. Fortunately, there is a prepainted cyclops so I'm not SoL when it comes to appropriate sized figure. It's goofy looking & looks more like a he-man action figure but I guess you use what you can get.

The giants like you said all suffer from up & down in terms of sizing. Great figures they are just runty in 5e terms & Reaper did acknowledge that their giants were smaller with them upping the previous giants to huge size figures after they came out so maybe we'll get a re-size on these?.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, TGP said:

I used to have a job that involved creating technical drawings of machines that sort Mail (and parcels).

This damage is consistent with what can happen if those machines run amok. Normally, the boxes just whisk by, electric lights and lasers check that each one is level, in limits, oriented properly, sliding down chutes, whizzing along on roller beds, ...but once in awhile a jam occurs. 

And those robot arms and lift buckets are stout. And they keep banging away until a human can get to an emergency stop button. (As a matter of fact it is a big, red, button....several per machine.)

It’s not necessarily people doing these bad things to innocent boxes; it’s robots, Giant Stationary Robots. 

In my case, and speaking as a former long haul trucker, the damage to my box was consistent with a cardboard box placed near the bottom of an 8 foot pile of boxed freight, with enough heavy freight placed on top to exceed the crush resistance of the box.

The people responsible for this are the guys who load and unload the trucks at the docks, called Lumpers.  That's actually their name attached to their job.  Often, particularly in Union Shops, they don't take the time and effort to put any sort of load spreading materials in to keep the bottom packages from being crushed by heavy freight being thrown in on top.  And I do mean thrown because they aren't paid by the piece but by the job and the whole crew splits a fixed amount for a single load/unload.

Reaper, or any other company in the Miniatures field can mitigate this by stamping larger boxes "Top Load Only".  that way the boxes get thrown on the top couple of layers instead of being tossed wherever in the load is the current face of the stack when it comes up in the queue.

Had my Bones IV rewards been a box for retail most of the interior boxes would have been returns as unsaleable due to crush damage.  Fortunately, the interior boxes absorbed most of the force after the exterior box was turned into a cardboard bag and most of the contents survived intact.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Brianuk said:

20190509_203940.jpg

I love that you have miniatures there so we can tell the proper scale.

• Like 6
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, haldir said:

It's annoying but I think the numbers match up to the stock number for the particular base.

I think you're right and unless I missed something there is nowhere to see what numbers equal what size. I just looked at my order invoice and went, "Okay I have two sets of this, one set of these, four sets of this, I guess I got everything I ordered".

It would have been nice if the order actually specified the sizes though. I'm just taking it on faith I got the actual sizes I ordered because after all this time I can't remember what I wanted two years ago.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, haldir said:

The giants like you said all suffer from up & down in terms of sizing. Great figures they are just runty in 5e terms & Reaper did acknowledge that their giants were smaller with them upping the previous giants to huge size figures after they came out so maybe we'll get a re-size on these?.

For me it is expectations. If you show a huntress with a whole deer slung on her back and wearing shields as cloak clasps it is dissapointing to a degree to get the mini and have to go, oh those were just really small shield brooches from Accessorise and a tiny deer. Particularly because a big selling point of Bones is that it is light and cheap so bigger models can be more accessible. Some of the trolls are quite small but no denying the value over all in the KS. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Rat13 said:

I think you're right and unless I missed something there is nowhere to see what numbers equal what size. I just looked at my order invoice and went, "Okay I have two sets of this, one set of these, four sets of this, I guess I got everything I ordered".

It would have been nice if the order actually specified the sizes though. I'm just taking it on faith I got the actual sizes I ordered because after all this time I can't remember what I wanted two years ago.

What did with my order of 640 bases was note the SKU and quantity from the pledge manager, then looked up the SKUs on Reaper's website to get the sizes and styles.

14 hours ago, Rat13 said:

here is my list if it helps.

74012 x4 (40 cavalry bases)
74015 x4 (80 1" square bases w/slot)
74024 x4 (40 40mm square bases)
74028 x4 (40 2" square base)
74032 x2 (40 1" round bsae)
74033 x2 (20 40mm round base)
74039 x4 (80 1" square base)
74043 x2 (40 1" hex slotted base)
74046 x3 (75 transparent flight pes)
74047 x3 (75 transparent hover pegs)
74065 x2 (20 60mm x 35mm oval)
74066 x2 (20 75mm x 46mm oval)
74067 x2 (20 90mm x 52mm oval)
74068 x2 (8 105 mm x 70mm oval)
74069 x2 (8 120mm x 92mm oval)
74070 x2 (8 170mm x 105mm oval)
74071 x2 (20 70mm x 25mm rounded rectangle)

Oops, came to 634 + the 100 1" round and 40 2" round from 2 core sets. Total of 774 bases. And I will probably run out of some.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A big thank you to everyone posting cat (and guinea pig) pictures! Hopefully I'll be adding pics of my feline overlords once I eventually get my box ::D:

• Like 9

Ed addressed the issues of Argent's size and the water piece for the barge on tonight's Reaper Live. In both cases, the choice was between cancelling the piece and refunding the money or modifying in the ways that they did (because of absurd costs in both cases). For me, the choices that they made were the right ones, but I can certainly understand that others would choose differently.

The one thing that I really do think they should do differently in future is that they should announce major substantive changes like these and allow for cancellation and refund for people who dislike the result enough. In both cases, the reason that I see these as different than other piece modifications is that the changes were to advertised selling points, not simple artistic differences between art, initial render, and final sculpt. FWIW, I wouldn't have chosen to drop either piece; YMMV.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

So my wife looked at the very large black plastic storage box {Costco special} that I transferred all the Bones from the Kickstarter into [it was a close fit] and her only concern was the amount of space they would take up going to Reapercon.  I explained that even if I painted 24 hours a day 7 days a week I coldn't have them all painted up, and I'm a slow painter so it's not gonna happen anyway.  She has no idea how much space they will take up once assembled.

Initial inventory of the packages shows they missed Rauthuros and I received two of the same DVD in the Hot Lead Package.

I still have to do a detailed inventory of all the boxes and bags, which is going to have to be done slowly over several days.  Overall, the detail level is impressive.  My Chicken Hut came in a corrugated cardboard box, with evidence of attempts to claw its way out.  The claws are going to require the hot water treatment as it tries to do a forward roll on its own.

GEM

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

According to Reaper live, they're 60% finished with shipping from the UK hub, and the 2nd container will be arriving tomorrow (so today I guess?) for them to continue shipping. So at least they're getting through those boxes quickly once they reach the hub.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

They also mentioned in the Reaper Live that they will NOT be putting extra core/expansions up on the site until AU at least begins shipping and that June was currently planned as the first month of Bones 4 releases.  I know some of our overseas friends were worried about these.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Megan found some broken bits in the primitives set - Mumlak had his club broken in two places, but his tusks are in properly. *EDIT* The pieces fit back together cleanly - fixing him will not be a problem.

He needs a fair amount of greenstuff for filling gaps, but she is planning on covering him with greenstuff already, and sculpting in a lot more fur.

She has plans for him. ::):

I found that the Fire Giant Huntsman was missing the body of his hell hound - the head's there, but the body is nowhere in either the box or the bag. ::(:

Baba Yaga's Hut is leaning forward a bit, but balances well - I will be repositioning the gibbet to under one of the eaves, I think - and adding an empty gibbet from Terrain Crate to the other front eave.

And Megan has informed me that it is obvious - Baba Yaga's Hut doesn't lay eggs - it lays gazebos. ::P: (I may wind up mounting the gazebo from the Scenics set on smaller chicken legs....)

Both the Hut and the Barge are hefty.

Megan did not finish cataloging the Core last night - she got distracted by Dark Reach and Lost Valley.

I got through Dreadmere and Fan Favorites, then crashed in a loud and fiery explosion - no survivors went to sleep.

Also - raise your hands if you went looking for the Maggotcrown undead ogre in the Dreadmere box, even though it was announced months ago that the box has the wrong image?!

*Raises hand.*

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 10
  • Haha 6