Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

18 minutes ago, Fencig said:

I have to agree, i don't see the point in trying to compete with what is often and inferior product that is way over-priced in most cases.  Saw wiz-kids 8 on the shelf Friday  and they are $15. each for things like a small Dragon or hill giant-  ($5. of that is packaging). You can get a hill Giant in baggy pants a ruck sack, carrying a club from Wizkids, or you can get Golan and Krug both for $3. more.  :rock: I also don't understand the fascination with "no assembly required",  isn't modeling all about putting things together?   Their sculpts overall lack imagination and creativity,  the better ones are straight out of the players handbook, those   models are OK, but some of the sculpts are just terrible. Their just-released Hobgloblins  look like ugly Eleves . -  rant off : )

Yeah, but WK makes Displacer Beasts, so there's that... 

But otherwise, aside from some translucent spell effects gimmicks, I overall prefer Reaper Bones for aesthetics as well as material. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Bones Black over the Bones 3 material, though.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Serenity said:

So far, all I've heard on Reaper Live is they will start releasing in June.  Hopefully they will get more specific on what and when as we get further along in the fulfillment cycle.

What I don't remember them saying is whether or not retail items would be going out assembled.  Properly packaged, assembled minis wouldn't break as easily, but there's the issue with not being able to paint things that are blocked, and there's the potential for bad assembly.  Bones Black doesn't flex nearly as well as original Bones.  I also don't know how hard they are to pull apart if the assembly is bad or parts are blocked.  We know the Hut is not easy to disassemble, though it can be cut apart.

Not easy at all. I broke one (you wouldn't know it, once it was painted, but... I broke it) trying to disassemble it.

I would much, MUCH rather they came in pieces or on sprues. Let Wizkids have the pre-assembled, slop-primed, fast-and-dirty market. I'd rather have quality that I have to put together. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some things preassembled don't bug me, but if they put it together badly or I can't reach some areas, that is problematic. Bed mimic? I don't know how to reach under the mimic to get the bottom of the bed and the floor boards beneath it. Plus the pieces of the bed could do better on assembly at home than pre-done. Putting the heads on knights? Eh, whatever. 

• Like 4

Probably not relevant, but I recently disassembled one of my Boes Black efreetis...   And I used brute force without breaking off anything...   

Of course I gave it a good, HOT bath first.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Fencig said:

:rock: I also don't understand the fascination with "no assembly required",  isn't modeling all about putting things together?   Their sculpts overall lack imagination and creativity,  the better ones are straight out of the players handbook, those   models are OK, but some of the sculpts are just terrible. Their just-released Hobgloblins  look like ugly Eleves . -  rant off : )

There are a lot of people who play games who are not into modeling.  They don't paint and they don't want to.  They want the character shown in the rule book.  There is a definite market for them.  Even Reaper was selling pre-paints for a while. 

I'm not thrilled with the "assembly required" aspect of Bones4.  It's one thing to put wings and a tail on a large dragon model that's packed for space saving shelf needs.  But arms, weapons, and heads on human sized figures? Really?  Part of the appeal of Bones is that they are single piece figures ready to go right out of the blister. Now they take an extra evening or two to assemble. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fencig said:

.  I also don't understand the fascination with "no assembly required",  isn't modeling all about putting things together?  

But this isn't a modeling hobby, this is a painting and gaming hobby. It's not like we're talking model cars here, where the whole point is to assemble it yourself. You have to remember not everyone gets minis for modeling purposes. They get minis to paint and put on a table to game with. The extra hassle of having to put arms and heads and legs on could move someone to bypass that mini and go to one already put together, that can get some paint slapped on it, and plunked down on a table for that night's game

i know i hate having to assemble minis that isn't a large mini like a dragon. I just do not care enough about that tiny little human knight to want to painstakingly glue his annoying little head on and try to get it to stay there. I won't touch any disassembled mini that isn't bones, becuase screw that annoying nonsense of trying to get a tiny plastic head onto a tiny plastic body without that head getting stuck to something else, and the glue doesn't want to hold so the head slides everywhere as i try to hold it in place. Ugh

for small stuff, i'll take it pre-assembled. For my table top paint jobs it doens't matter if i can't quite reach into a crevice between an arm and a shield

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The small ones went together surprisingly easily, with little to no need for greenstuffing. 1-2 minutes to set up a figure, so I'd hardly call it an evening for the little ones. It gives them a better cast, and a wider range of positions. So I really don't mind it in that respect. Heck of a lot easier than assembling metal figures. My worry is on pre-assembled ones making it difficult to paint, or preventing painting. 

This is all coming from me, and I'm usually anti-assembly, because I am more into the painting side of things anyway. I'm not much of a sculptor or a builder. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now what would really be good is if Reaper released everything in two versions;  Basic Bones: all assembled and ready to go,  and Bones Build-it: coming on the sprue in pieces.  Might even be a price break for the unassembled version.

I know it would lead to endless confusion with consumers, but it certainly would be the path to make everyone happy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

But this isn't a modeling hobby, this is a painting and gaming hobby. It's not like we're talking model cars here, where the whole point is to assemble it yourself. You have to remember not everyone gets minis for modeling purposes. They get minis to paint and put on a table to game with. The extra hassle of having to put arms and heads and legs on could move someone to bypass that mini and go to one already put together, that can get some paint slapped on it, and plunked down on a table for that night's game

i know i hate having to assemble minis that isn't a large mini like a dragon. I just do not care enough about that tiny little human knight to want to painstakingly glue his annoying little head on and try to get it to stay there. I won't touch any disassembled mini that isn't bones, becuase screw that annoying nonsense of trying to get a tiny plastic head onto a tiny plastic body without that head getting stuck to something else, and the glue doesn't want to hold so the head slides everywhere as i try to hold it in place. Ugh

for small stuff, i'll take it pre-assembled. For my table top paint jobs it doens't matter if i can't quite reach into a crevice between an arm and a shield

I'm sympathetic to this point of view, although it doesn't apply to me at all.

I personally enjoy assembly, and Bones are a material that sets quickly enough with CYA glue that they aren't TOO onerous. So I'm not bothered by multi part models.

But I have people in my game group who absolutely ARE bothered by assembly, to the point that I've been "gifted" minis that were just too frustrating for the guy that bought them. So I think Reaper should certainly offer as many things preassembled as possible, just because I think Reaper should sell as many things as possible.

It's a hobby for everyone, after all.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Yeah, but WK makes Displacer Beasts, so there's that... 

But otherwise, aside from some translucent spell effects gimmicks, I overall prefer Reaper Bones for aesthetics as well as material. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Bones Black over the Bones 3 material, though.

never fought a displacer beast, soo..... :) 

I have only a few Bones black, mine are fine so far, the Owl-Bear was actually superb quality.  My one concern, I am headed quickly towards the daunting world of kit-bashing and modifications, Bones black and Wizkids for that matter, is not well suited to that.  IT takes a LOT of knife pressure to cut that hard plastic ,  your better off with a Dremel and rotating saw blades than Exacto. It's harder to cut than LEad/White-Metal   for that matter IMHO which can be clipped with less deformation/no risk of cracking/splitting.

So for  the sake of those of us who want to  do some really custom stuff i hope they continue the Bones White line.

I'm guessing this latest KS is ALL Bones Black right?  Does anyone know if Bones White is back-catalog only now? No  new models, or will they phase out the old ones too?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fencig said:

I'm guessing this latest KS is ALL Bones Black right?  Does anyone know if Bones White is back-catalog only now? No  new models, or will they phase out the old ones too?

The Bones 4 Core box is all regular Bones (flexible light gray plastic) as are some of the Add-ons.  Bones 4 expansion boxes and the other Add-ons are made of Bones Black.  They've said there are no plans to phase out regular Bones, which works better for some figures according to them.  I think it depends on the size and shape of the figures, what will work better in the two materials.  From what I've seen, Bones Black is nice for sharp detail, but there are a lot of good-looking minis in regular Bones from Bones 4 and previous KSs.

• Like 9

Yeah, pewter is a pain in the bum to assemble. I'll do it if I have to, but it is a point that makes me go "ahh bugger" because it is a nuisance. Metal is tougher to cut/drill, and getting epoxy or glue to stick can be finicky. Bones? Meh. That's easy-mode. 

Bones 4 is mostly regular Bones material, but they dyed it gray. Bones Black is used for the expansions and a few addons, and is also gray. I've ranted about that color choice before. The newer regular Bones models do seem crisper on average than previous iterations.

• Like 4

Unassembled models also have the problem of not looking all that impressive. It's hard to understand what you're getting from a blister full of tiny parts. Saw that with my friends going through the kickstarter: they didn't knew the pictures, and most sprues took them a while to figure out. In that time you would've already lost their interest in a store setting, but they were there to help me glue, so they stuck with it.

We must not forget Bones absolutely are in that new-to-the-hobby category with something like Wizkids unpainted. Yes, there are really dedicated forum people that have all the tools and knowledge to deal with all the challenges of the miniature hobby, but Bones are really great for the more casual gamer as well. And there seem to be enough casual gamers who want to paint a bit, or else those affordable plastic lines giving us ever more goblins and orcs wouldn't be as successful.

Edited by Nunae
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Yeah, pewter is a pain in the bum to assemble. I'll do it if I have to, but it is a point that makes me go "ahh bugger" because it is a nuisance. Metal is tougher to cut/drill, and getting epoxy or glue to stick can be finicky. Bones? Meh. That's easy-mode. 

Bones 4 is mostly regular Bones material, but they dyed it gray. Bones Black is used for the expansions and a few addons, and is also gray. I've ranted about that color choice before. The newer regular Bones models do seem crisper on average than previous iterations.

I was surprised how easy LEAD was to glue together, Grump had some of the Reaper leads, a two frost giant giants, and I was surprised at how well the super glue grabbed onto them, it was a LOT easier than pewter.

• Like 5