Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

I use a pin-vise drill and a jeweler's saw for pewter figures. I find the saw to be worthless on Bonesium, not sure about the Bones Black. I was not thrilled with the resilience of it when I was removing an integrated base from my first Dreadmere figure the other day, but it wasn't horrible. Just not as easy as Bonesium has always been. For someone who wants my minis to be on 1" diameter bases (usually made from Basius pads), that was a bit of a sticking point.

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Want some hard minis to assemble.  Buy some Infinity Tags from Corvus belli.  The tacbots still give me nightmares.

If I see them in the sale bin, maybe ::P: 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

If I see them in the sale bin, maybe ::P: 

Just go outside Bane's house, they are probably still lying in the street. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Want some hard minis to assemble.  Buy some Infinity Tags from Corvus belli.  The tacbots still give me nightmares.

I still get the cold sweats remembering assembling my Drago :unsure: Don't get me started on the human sized mini with 14 parts.

That said, I would much rather get unassembled minis. A lot of factory built minis leave a lot to be desired. 

Still no shipping notice ::(:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

the worst i had to assemble was the metal WotC black dragon.  the way the wings fit the back is just dumb. 

bones is so much nicer than metal.  just a bit of wierd material to dremel to gouge out sections for resculpting.

sanjay

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I recently assembled and painted Kensei Herruelos ( mounted conquistadores), I can't recount the times the horse's tails fell off, not to mention the rider's short swords or their arms :zombie:

So for human sized minis and maybe even trolls please assemble.

The huge ones I understand.

I also still have a GW plastic Bastilladon in the box, so many parts, so overwhelming I fear trying to assemble it.

And I did start out with military model kits in my youth, but at least those had a very good instruction leaf how to assemble it!

• Like 9

MY PLEDGE JUST RECEIVED POSTAGE!!!!!! HOODY HOO!!!!

Unfortunately, I can't scream with happiness because I'm currently sitting in a hide at a nature reserve and I don't think my serious companions would appreciate it at all  ::D:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 12
  • Haha 9

For styrene miniatures (until pretty recently the most common hard plastic used for minis), a styrene solvent like MEK or acetone* works much better than super glue. These dissolve the surface of each side of the bonding face and allow for a very strong chemical bond. And they don't stick to skin. (They're toxic, of course. :poke: But not so toxic that we haven't used them ... with a bit of care .. for decades.)

* The active ingredients in many products sold as plastic weld chemicals.

14 hours ago, Cyradis said:

This is certainly true, but it has a pretty decent solution - print a picture on the box or on a little card in it. Dark Sword has lots of assembly-required pieces, and don't have labels on all of them. Some of them do, and it is quite nice. CMON figures have a picture on the box. My Captain Canada figure does (unknown maker, multipart 54mm). Knight Models, even with characters who are known, has pictures on the boxes. I think the big Reaper figures do have pictures; I think the metal fire giant woman has had it in the past. Viridius in metal has a picture on the box. I think Ma'al does. My Kraken does. So.... a little better packaging could do the trick. 

• Dark Sword is much more of a boutique miniatures company. Their business model really isn't to be in most hobby stores for impulse buys and their prices reflect that. Same is true with the other manufacturers you mention.
  • If you want a picture on the blister pack, you need separately printed cards for each such mini. This is far more expensive than just using a generic card with a printed name (which can be done mostly in house).
  • A picture in the blister pack can work, but it also obscures the model when it's hanging on the rack in the store. And while it's less expensive than a separate blister card for each SKU, it's still significantly more expensive than the current solution.

Note: A $0.10 - 0.20 increase in cost means a $1.00 increase in retail price. How much does the average consumer really want to pay for a Bones mini?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've torn apart pre-assembled Bones miniatures in the past, when I wanted to get at part of the figure that I couldn't reach because of assembly, but it's usually not been much of an issue. I haven't tried assembling much in Bones 4 yet, though.

• Like 3

Got my shipment today (Germany). Everything looks to be in order, but I have yet to go through everything.

Biggest gripe: Baba Yaga's Hut: I know that they promised that the legs would be detachable and I know they explained what went wrong. Still, it's definitely a negative. And ... now that might just be me ... I was under the assumption that the roof could be removed so you could use the inside of the house. THat is either not the case and my assumption was wrong from the start ... or I'm too timid to exercise the necessary force.

Be as it may ... as it stands at the moment, the Hut is not as usable for me as I hoped it would be.

Stygian Barge: I hope that the warped parts can be unwarped by the hot water method. Lots and lots of parts ... an assembly instruction (even if only a single sheet of paper) would have been nice.

Some minis in the Dreadmere expansion were assembled in a way that you can clearly see gaps (large gaps). That's why I prefer to do that myself.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Any news on second EU ship yet?

It must've arrived, because on last week's Reaper Live they said that everything from the first container had shipped. Hopefully you'll get yours soon.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

It must've arrived, because on last week's Reaper Live they said that everything from the first container had shipped. Hopefully you'll get yours soon.

I was under the impression that  a second container was coming on a second ship?

I might have misunderstood.

• Like 4

Since they said the first container was all shipped other people got their shipping notification, therefore the assumption they've gotten the second container.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Stygian Barge: I hope that the warped parts can be unwarped by the hot water method. Lots and lots of parts ... an assembly instruction (even if only a single sheet of paper) would have been nice.

Someone has a beautifully painted one around page 1166? I would suggest looking at their work if you would like help. Also, all the little wedges go under the aft deck (14). I still have a night or two of painting, but then I'll post my pictures. This is by far the most difficult piece I've worked on, but I think it is coming along great.

Edited by Btass
  • Like 6