Sign in to follow this  
ladystorm

Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

I just wanted to take my love for a Quetzalcoatl sculpted in bones off the kickstarter and onto the forum.

Hey, do you love big birds? Dragons? Oriental style dragons? Snake gods your snakemen and women can worship? Do you want a bigger behir? Painting feathers, scales and wings is simply the best, right?

Art Inspiration:

Edited by Type2
  • Like 14

Numbers Based on 1400-1500 Reaper time today:     
Total Gain Today:     $11,095
Total Gain 24 Hours:     $21,681
Total to Next Goal:     $11,655
New Backers This Hour:     8
Gain in last Hour:     $944
Current Average Pledge:     $113.08
Average Hourly Backers Today:     5.5
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours:     6.0
Average Hourly Pledges Today:     $740
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours:     $903
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour:     12.4
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg:     12.9

Current Total Pledges:     $1,158,345
Current Total Backers:     10,244
Previous Hour Total Pledges:     $1,157,402
Previous Hour Total Backers:     10,236

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I was thinking "blessed"

"graced"

"honored"

With Buglips?

Perhaps "Infested"

51 minutes ago, tidtil said:

I'd go ham in the reaper online store if I lived in the US. The VAT is just crushing (especially because you pay VAT on postage as well and that ain't cheap to begin with). And our national postal service charges about 30 USD in "handling fees" for charging you VAT and holds your package for up to a month.

I wish reapers store had a "pay VAT" option so I didn't have to bother with all that.

Reaper Bones are available through retail distribution. Have you checked with local, or online retailers for the things you re looking for?

It won't get you anything in the "retired" catalog, but it's a start.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, TGP said:

If you refer to Grumpy's poetical inclinations ... it was only 7 thumbflicks. 

@TheAuldGrump maybe TFs can be a poetry rating system...like Michelin stars; but with many more levels. <_< 

Do adult only Kickstarters get dirty limericks?

The Auld Grump - there was a young couple from Florida....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harrek said:

I think part of the problem with SOME of the complaints people have is that they are not considering that this is the 4th Bones Kick Starter,  and in the first 3 there were a lot of the things that people are asking for now.  Unfortunately many missed those and this might be the first or even second one they are backing.  So they didn't get in on the "bread and butter" kind of figures that people want in the previous KS projects.  But Reaper does already make many of these and you can get them in retail of course.  To fill this Kick Starter with more of that probably does not make any sense to them for financial or marketing reasons.  It seems to me that they are using this one more to do things they have not done yet and to expand and fill in the Bones product line more.

I stand by my statement Reaper would make a boat load of money off of a "Bones Classics" kickstarter. I agree it's a huge problem everyone asking for things that are already available in Bones. And Bryan already kindly responded to me as to why they would never do a KS that sold existing models (don't want to compete with their retail whom they are trying to support). But it still remains a problem, I get for some foreigners buying from the online store is costly, but buying from a Kickstarter can't be much better, can it? Hopefully with their foreign shipping stuff Reaper gets online sales sorted out for other countries too to make it easier for them to buy stuff online.

And honestly, for all the people complaining about not enough basics, this KS has a lot of repeats (even if new models) so I feel like it's plenty of basics included (another owlbear, another griffon, more goblins even though they are the B3 sculpt, a conan-y looking guy that looks identical to the B3 Conan-y looking guy, more old wizards with beards, robes and pointy hats, plenty more PCs wielding swords, more kobolds, more wraiths, more hill giants that are similar to existing in that they are topless and swinging wooden clubs, a fire giant that while cool is pretty similar in appearance to the jailer from the last KS, trolls that are similar to existing trolls, a dragon turtle that is near identical to the existing dragon tortoise). So in my mind, this KS already has plenty of "classics" and "repeats". I wouldn't have minded more of certain things if the sculpts were a bit more different. Like a hill giant holding a rock he's about to throw, or a few lady hill giants, or a combat ready lady fire giant.

I hope we can get some more big animals and maybe some more giants (ladies too please! fighting ladies not weird "sexy"/"submissive" giants!). I think I am a weird person that that crab remains one of the things I am most excited about in this Kickstarter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

D&D had entries for "Dire Wolf" and "Dire Bear" since way back, when, but I think those were mostly references to prehistoric animals.

I didn't notice the bizarre redefinition of "Dire" to mean "Big and spikey" until the WotC / 3rd edition era of D&D and D&D-related artwork. Justified, or not, I blame Wayne Reynolds. ::P:

Remember, here at McDungeon's, you can always get your drink dire-sized for just 15 extra copper!

James Jacobs described the dire bear in the Pathfinder Bestiary - 'A surprise birthday party? For me?!' - he was not over fond of that illo.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jessie said:

But it still remains a problem, I get for some foreigners buying from the online store is costly, but buying from a Kickstarter can't be much better, can it?

Reaper models are pretty readily available at a lot of online gaming stores around the world. It's a bit more difficult with less known companies (I can get some DSM figures here but not all, and nearly no Red Box which makes me sad after I saw their elves).

But speaking for myself, kickstarter is often so cheap that it's still better than buying locally. I backed the last DSM kickstarter, their figures normally cost around 12-13 euros around here (and as I mentioned, you can't get the full catalouge). After VAT and shipping I still payed around half as much as I would have at retail.

Might be bc the dollar is really cheap for us right now.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nunae said:

Reaper models are pretty readily available at a lot of online gaming stores around the world.

Seems like you are in the EU too, where do you buy minis?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grayfax said:

No, dire is next level over basic animal.  Because there is a Dire Wolf, which is worse than a regular Wolf.

But.... I gotta admit... I like the ring of that Dire Sabertooth thing...

Much like I would contend that we already have a Dire Gazebo in the shape of the Stone Circle from Bones the Third, there's already a Dire Sabertooth in Bones the Fourth:  how else would you describe the sabertoothed pug in the Battering Ham expansion?  >.>

2 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

What about the dire platypus? I can't let it go. XD

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I support a dire platypus. 

I'd agree with that.  A dire platypus, a shadow from the edges of The Dreamtime, the protobunyip, the ovipositor from down-undor, this nightmare must come true!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Type2 said:

I just wanted to take my love for a Quetzalcoatl sculpted in bones off the kickstarter and onto the forum.

Hey, do you love big birds? Dragons? Oriental style dragons? Snake gods your snakemen and women can worship? Do you want a bigger behir? Painting feathers, scales and wings is simply the best, right?

Art Inspiration:

1tycgq.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Laoke said:

Much like I would contend that we already have a Dire Gazebo in the shape of the Stone Circle from Bones the Third, there's already a Dire Sabertooth in Bones the Fourth:  how else would you describe the sabertoothed pug in the Battering Ham expansion?  >.>

WHAT!!!  WHAT?!?!?

*** Breathes deeply ***

Pug.  Pug you say.  Yes, I've seen that cute little fellow running around.  CUTE is how I would describe him.  Certainly not DIRE!

Now, if perchance, there happened to come about a certain Mammoth-killing Dire Sabertooth Tiger, then I certainly wouldn't mind ... you know... autographing a few for you guys...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Harrek said:

I think part of the problem with SOME of the complaints people have is that they are not considering that this is the 4th Bones Kick Starter,  and in the first 3 there were a lot of the things that people are asking for now.  Unfortunately many missed those and this might be the first or even second one they are backing.  So they didn't get in on the "bread and butter" kind of figures that people want in the previous KS projects.  But Reaper does already make many of these and you can get them in retail of course.  To fill this Kick Starter with more of that probably does not make any sense to them for financial or marketing reasons.  It seems to me that they are using this one more to do things they have not done yet and to expand and fill in the Bones product line more.

I disagree. I already own about $200 worth of Bones figures that I've purchased through retail. This is my first Bones kickstarter and there's still things lacking in their catalog that aren't being addressed while they add more of the same.

The most obvious is the 4 greybeards. There's already several old wizards in Repear's Bones. We didn't need 4 more. What we do need is wizards of different races and young males or old females.

What can I use as a halfling warlock? Why is there only one female hellborn caster that isn't wearing a bikini? Why are there so few female half-orcs? Dragonborn?

Also female monster versions... we could use female orcs, goblins, hobgoblins and so on.

• Like 8