Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

So this is my first Bones kickstarter and I'm super excited! But I'm also a little nervous because some of these figures look really large and I'm looking to get ones that can be used during our D&D game and I'm kind of worried what if they're too big. Does anyone know if these will look ok next to other minis or will they look disproportionately large?

• Like 6

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Asoares said:

So this is my first Bones kickstarter and I'm super excited! But I'm also a little nervous because some of these figures look really large and I'm looking to get ones that can be used during our D&D game and I'm kind of worried what if they're too big. Does anyone know if these will look ok next to other minis or will they look disproportionately large?

Most of the pictures have sir forscale in the picture, he's human sized, so should give some idea of scale. You can also watch the live stream and get some ideas of scale there. Most should be fine, unless you are talking the big pieces, but they shouldn't be overpowering on the table.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Asoares said:

4 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Most of the pictures have sir forscale in the picture, he's human sized, so should give some idea of scale. You can also watch the live stream and get some ideas of scale there. Most should be fine, unless you are talking the big pieces, but they shouldn't be overpowering on the table.

Yes Sir Forscale is the ghostly transparent figure you see in the pictures.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Asoares said:

The standard humanoid figures work well for D&D.  There are a couple models (like Bugbears and Gnolls, not a part of the KS, at least not that we've seen) that are awkwardly sized slightly larger than D&D rules would dictate.  Even with those it's not that bad, their toes would just be hanging over the edges of a 1" base if you were to cut off their integrated bases and put them on standard circular bases.  For the most part they work well though, including larger things like ogres.

Obviously I can't guarantee any particular model will fit exactly the way you want it to, especially for the ones that are just concept art currently.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Asoares said:

Are there any models in particular you're worried about looking too large? I find them to be perfectly sized for D&D.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Asoares said:

It might help us to answer your question better If you let us know which particular models you are concerned about.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Asoares said:

Welcome to the excitement of a Bones Kickstarter!

Reaper minis might be a little bit larger than the official D&D plastic minis. Most Reaper minis are a "25mm heroic" scale (basically 28mm). Close enough to occupy the same table space with the official minis.

It may also help to know that Reaper is the official producer of Pathfinder minis.

Edited by Brennor
  • Like 5

Numbers Based on 1100-1200 Reaper time today:     
Total Gain Today:    $20,994
Total Gain 24 Hours:     $56,839
Current Goal:    $1,615,000
Total to Next Goal:     $22,655
New Backers This Hour:     13
Gain in last Hour:     $2,832
Current Average Pledge:     $136.89
Average Hourly Backers Today:     5.1
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours:     6.0
Average Hourly Pledges Today:     $1,749
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours:     $2,368
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour:     8.0
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg:     9.6

Current Total Pledges:     $1,592,345
Current Total Backers:     11,632
Previous Hour Total Pledges:     $1,589,513
Previous Hour Total Backers:     11,619

• Like 4

Just now, trappleton said:

Are there any models in particular you're worried about looking too large? I find them to be perfectly sized for D&D.

Gauth and the Roc and some of the bigger optional rewards. I've only bought a few reaper minis so far and before that we just got the prepainted monster menagerie packs. In pictures and videos I've seen of the previous kickstarters some of the pieces look quite large, more like display pieces than gaming miniatures but then again I have a hard time visualizing scale unless I have the thing right in front of me so maybe I'm just worrying for nothing

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Yes Sir Forscale is the ghostly transparent figure you see in the pictures.

Ooh, a transparent Sir Forscale, now that would make an awesome Core set add-on!

1 minute ago, Asoares said:

Gauth and the Roc and some of the bigger optional rewards. I've only bought a few reaper minis so far and before that we just got the prepainted monster menagerie packs. In pictures and videos I've seen of the previous kickstarters some of the pieces look quite large, more like display pieces than gaming miniatures but then again I have a hard time visualizing scale unless I have the thing right in front of me so maybe I'm just worrying for nothing

Well, they will be big, but for scale, they will look right. Is it the size of the piece itself being too big for your gaming area you are concerned with?

• Like 2

A lot of the featured add-ons are pretty big.  I'm personally more interested in a giant tree than a giant snake, but that's more to do with the types of games we tend to play.  That said, when characters get to about 12th level some of the standard monsters are pretty big.  I've got one character who's been swallowed whole multiple times.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Asoares said:

Well, they're both huge monsters, scaled appropriately for using with the human sized minis. 

:ph34r:

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Asoares said:

I've found that the creatures being large isn't as big of a deal as it might seem in the overview. Looking at the picture, it appears that the Roc would be at least a Huge sized creature.

:lol: :ph34r:'d by Crowley.

Edited by Brennor
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, trappleton said:

I'm not going to be ungrateful for more stuff, but how many of you guys re-base your Bones? The integral bases have never left me wanting more. I know some of the arguments in favor of re-basing, but I still don't see the appeal.

Some of the original bases topple over easy, and people tend to kick tables without meaning it. So I rebase all that topple.

18 minutes ago, Brennor said:

Welcome to the excitement of a Bones Kickstarter!

Reaper minis might be a little bit larger than the official D&D plastic minis. Most Reaper minis are a "25mm heroic" scale (basically 28mm). Close enough to occupy the same table space with the official minis.

It may also help to know that Reaper is the official producer of Pathfinder minis.

There are some D&D minis that I would say are a little small for 25mm scale, however most are 28-32mm scale. Most D&D minis scale very well with Reaper Bones. My personal opinion is that the D&D ones that don't are out of scale.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, trappleton said:

I'm not going to be ungrateful for more stuff, but how many of you guys re-base your Bones? The integral bases have never left me wanting more. I know some of the arguments in favor of re-basing, but I still don't see the appeal.

I rebase nearly all Bones figures I paint. Removing the existing base is easy and I often like a more consistent look to my figure bases. Plus, since I'm using fender washers plus putty with a basing stamp, they're easy and when finished, they "wobble but they don't fall down".

1 hour ago, Brennor said:

Do you use sheet magnets or something to hold them in place?

I embed a magnet into the hole in the fender washer, then just use steel trays (tool boxes, old cookie sheets, sometimes cake pans, depending on the number of figures) to carry the figures around.

• Like 8