Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

1 hour ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I am also planning on taking a 1 inch and 2 inch base from  KS 3 core set to my local home depot and try and find washers that will fit inside the hollow bottom so I can get a nice base AND the weight:)

In the 1" round bases on the store (74035), I put two 3/4" diameter fender washers inside the base and then a 1" diameter fender washer on the bottom.  I don't have any 2" bases yet so I can't help with those.

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Pangolin d'AntEater said:

This means I opened a Mal Drakar!!!!!!  My goodness, it's enormous!!! Even bigger than it looked in the pictures in KS3... In fact, because I have no where to be able to build it for a while, I shouldn't have taken it out of the box, cos it must have grown when it was out...... It WON'T FIT back in the box.... and I'm not silly enough to try wrestling an enormous multi-headed dragon which will remember every indignity.

Man, I know that pain, Ma'al is huge. First time I had it out, my players stuffed all their minis into the various mouths. At that point a 3 year old came down the stairs, looked over the table and said "You're all gonna die!" He then laughed maniacally... Little GM in training right there.

But, after that, I still haven't gotten Ma'al to fit back into the box...

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Brennor said:

Man, I know that pain, Ma'al is huge. First time I had it out, my players stuffed all their minis into the various mouths. At that point a 3 year old came down the stairs, looked over the table and said "You're all gonna die!" He then laughed maniacally... Little GM in training right there.

But, after that, I still haven't gotten Ma'al to fit back into the box...

That 3 year old must be an adorable menace. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

That 3 year old must be an adorable menace. 

That he is! He likes watching the minis move around the board. He and my 5 year old sit and watch us with them. I've taken to bringing a dozen or so random unpainted bones with me every session for them to play with so they can have their own games while we play.

The 3 year old requested that I bring them some "big lizards" to play with as well. Eddie (my 5 year old) correct that with "Dragons, you mean dragons!"

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, icarus231 said:

All that is missing are dragons. Especially cat dragons

And if we get cat dragons, we need that crazy cat lady pink paint to make it past the idea stage!

Edited by Brennor
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, Pingo said:

As for storage, I keep most of my painted Bones in small plastic bins with loose layers of bubble wrap between them.  And the bubble wrap may not be necessary.  They can be stored pretty compactly and they are tough.

We keep most of ours in a tool box and some in the D&D chest but both those are already pretty full so I have no clue where I'm gonna put all the ks ones when they come. My mom doesn't want boxes and boxes of D&D stuff just stacked around and there's no room in any of the 3 closets really so its less a problem of how to store the minis and more a problem of not having a place to put the storage

• Like 2

I too am in camp "rebase EVERYTHING!"

I like the consistency, and it lets me control size a bit between figures and brands. Some of the shrimpier wizkids minis get raised up onto cork or milliput "rocks," and some of the oversized bones minis get cut off of their broccoli bases to keep them shorter or help them fit on their base size.

I generally stick with DnD scale bases, but if a mini has a particularly large footprint, I will go up in size a bit to keep the base from looking overcrowded. So bugbears get 32mm bases instead of 25mm, and the large elementals and Julie Guthrie's gorgeous manticore, chimera et al get 60mm bases instead of 50mm. The slight bit of overhang still works fine with the grid system as long as you don't have a jillion minis crowded together.

For storage, all the minis get rare earth magnets on the bottom, and are stored in a scrapbook cart where each drawer has a 12x12 piece of sheet metal in it.  Each drawer has a hinging lid, so it's really easy to grab a drawer, stuff it in a bag, and head to gaming. The magnets are strong enough that the drawers can be sideways or upside down without them falling off.

Edited by breegull
  • Like 5

I really like the idea of magnetised bases but I'm not sure I want to start adding them to the hundreds of minis I have. 90+% of my gaming is done in my basement so transport isn't usually a problem.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Zink said:

I really like the idea of magnetised bases but I'm not sure I want to start adding them to the hundreds of minis I have. 90+% of my gaming is done in my basement so transport isn't usually a problem.

Yeah, not gonna lie, it is getting a bit crazy now that I have so many hundreds of minis painted up.

But hey, I'm already spending hours of my time buying, glueing, prepping, and painting tiny plastic toys. What's a little extra crazy, in the grand scheme of things? :bday:

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, breegull said:

Yeah, not gonna lie, it is getting a bit crazy now that I have so many hundreds of minis painted up.

But hey, I'm already spending hours of my time buying, glueing, prepping, and painting tiny plastic toys. What's a little extra crazy, in the grand scheme of things? :bday:

For new minis it's not a big deal. Not that much extra work I guess. But when only a few have the magnets it just doesn't feel right. Maybe someday.

4 minutes ago, tidtil said:

With all the talk of magnetic bases, I'm considering hanging a sheet of metal on my wall and storing them "on display" there. 

And handy to get at when you need them!

• Like 4

I largely started with the magnetic bases when moving armies to club meetings and other games. When you have a hundred or so bases in one army, it's important not to have to wrap them individually. The magnets kept them apart in travel and actually resulted in less damage than foam. And they also made use of sabot bases when trying out different armies or rule sets really easy.

• Like 6