Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

ladystorm

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes up from time to time that someone suggests that we could do better if we revealed every goal up front and none of this "stupid waiting another 8k nonsense". 

And my question is - suppose we revealed everything on day one, as suggested. $5,000,000.00 worth of rewards. and you all came in and added to your pledges exactly once, and then we waited. and at the end, we made $3M. how should we handle backers who pledged for rewards we priced and revealed, but didn't raise enough to pay for all of the molds? Some of those backers need refunds now. And now we raised even LESS than it said we did. Ugh. Nightmare. 

No, this may be frustrating for some people, but this is the way we have to do it. We reveal nothing until we are confident that we can achieve it, mold it, and deliver it. We're ~72 hours out to the farthest out goal, so we're confident that even though we aren't there, we will be there in time to not fail.

I post this here so YOU all can understand, because I can't say it in a way that doesn't make me sound like a jerk, because this is a ridiculously well-thought out process, and I dislike being told I'm doing it wrong, and the snippiness is palpable in my tone.

Your transparency is really appreciated and rare among the companies I know of. Your reasoning is entirely sensible, sod the idiots who think they know better than the team of people whose literal job it is to work on this!

Besides, I think this way is more fun, so nyah to all the impatient jerks.

• Like 13

Thanks for sharing the background of the way it is currently being done. It is mostly the same as the way the old kickstarters were run (for the most part, 1 was quite different though).

Hopefully you aren't hearing that from those of us that have been around for multiple kickstarters. Is there any way we can help get the message across?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

It comes up from time to time that someone suggests that we could do better if we revealed every goal up front and none of this "stupid waiting another 8k nonsense". 

And my question is - suppose we revealed everything on day one, as suggested. $5,000,000.00 worth of rewards. and you all came in and added to your pledges exactly once, and then we waited. and at the end, we made $3M. how should we handle backers who pledged for rewards we priced and revealed, but didn't raise enough to pay for all of the molds? Some of those backers need refunds now. And now we raised even LESS than it said we did. Ugh. Nightmare. 

No, this may be frustrating for some people, but this is the way we have to do it. We reveal nothing until we are confident that we can achieve it, mold it, and deliver it. We're ~72 hours out to the farthest out goal, so we're confident that even though we aren't there, we will be there in time to not fail.

I post this here so YOU all can understand, because I can't say it in a way that doesn't make me sound like a jerk, because this is a ridiculously well-thought out process, and I dislike being told I'm doing it wrong, and the snippiness is palpable in my tone.

Gosh, I love it this way with the slow reveals!  It's half the fun in the anticipation, guessing, and excitement when the reveals come!

Dang kids today have no patience!  With their internets, and their fast and loose morals!  Hey there, you! Get off my lawn!!!  

• Like 13

@Brennor - not really. I just had to get it out of my system. Anybody wants to fancy that up and make a better diplomacy check than me, feel free. But it rarely needs to be said.

Although there's another guy now complaining that our prices, at ~50% off retail, are too high.

*everybody's a sodding expert except the guy who has raised over $12,000,000 on kickstarter in 5 years*

Actually, looking at my tone of voice, here, I think i need a snickers.