Reaper Bones 4: Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

3 minutes ago, Shadowphaze said:

There was some grumbling in the KS comments about them needing 3 more days as of yesterday.  Can anybody confirm?

I saw the same, and haven't seen anything official, either Facebook, forum, nor KS.

• Like 4
  • Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO Reaper has always had a communication/PR problem due to the way that they choose to structure the dissemination of information. ie. We can't post an update because it's not update day. We can't gi

So I'm later than I had hoped to be.  I have content for this week, but let's pick the second January update (fourth Friday 1/25/19) Content. Five options.  Use the Like this post options to cast

Survey Time!   I'm going to let yall have a wee bit of input on the next Expansion Pack I feature for the updates. I have parameters I have to follow, so it isn't super open for yall to

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, bojesphob said:

Forgive me if it's been discussed before, but I see people say something about having to pay VAT twice. How would you have to do that? At this point, you've prepaid VAT, and the government (whether UK, EU or both) haven't gotten a dime of what you paid for the VAT. When you paid,  you paid VAT for EU rates, correct? If so, when it gets to you, Reaper will submit payment for your VAT that they collected to the EU, and not to the UK. Where would the second payment come from? I guess you MIGHT have to pay extra VAT if you like in the UK and they decide you have to pay more than what they collected for VAT for the EU, but there's really not much that can be done about that (the blame would squarely be on the UK government for that). Maybe I'm not understanding the whole process, but that seems to be how it was explained, and how I would think it would logically work since the UK isn't the end destination. Would they put VAT on the outgoing mail too?? I wouldn't think so since Reaper probably had to pay for taxes on the shipment going into the country. Please feel free to correct me if I've got any of that wrong, I'm not trying to downplay any concerns, it just seems that it might not be as complicated as it's being made out to be?

I hope you're right.

Basically if I order directly from USA to the Netherlands (EU) I need to pay customs/taxes VAT in order to receive it in my home country.

Now it goes through UK as another EU member but not directly to the Netherlands, that's okay since the UK is still an EU member, I pay once to receive it here.

Brexit happens.

Suppose a No Deal Brexit were we don't know what will happen.

Then I paid VAT to enter the UK from USA and I might need to pay again when I receive something from the UK ( not an EU member anymore) in the Netherlands ( Or Any other EU country)

We could be wrong about this, but this is basically the scenario we fear when Brexit happens without a deal.

So I hope we will get our stuff before that happens and I'll be watching what kinda deal Brexit will mean for the future.

• Like 6
Just now, Glitterwolf said:

I hope you're right.

Basically if I order directly from USA to the Netherlands (EU) I need to pay customs/taxes VAT in order to receive it in my home country.

Now it goes through UK as another EU member but not directly to the Netherlands, that's okay since the UK is still an EU member, I pay once to receive it here.

Brexit happens.

Then I paid VAT to enter the UK from USA and I might need to pay again when I receive something from the UK ( not an EU member anymore) in the Netherlands ( Or Any other EU country)

We could be wrong about this, but this is basically the scenario we fear when Brexit happens without a deal.

So I hope we will get our stuff before that happens and I'll be watching what kinda deal Brexit will mean for the future.

I see. I guess the question at that point would be would you be forced to pay VAT for your order going to the UK when it's on a pallet and they don't actually KNOW you are the recipient until it's shipped out of the UK? I would think if anyone has to pay VAT at that point, it would be Reaper to get the shipment into the country. If a company from the UK shipped you something, you wouldn't have to pay VAT twice (even with Brexit)?

• Like 4

I’m reminded of the Dead Parrot skit...

That ticker wouldn’t “pumpf” if you put 4 million volts through it. That my friend is a dead ticker....:lol:

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Remember - this doesn't just apply to you, this applies to the low level bureaucrats enforcing all this.  The more uncertainty there is, the less likely that the individuals within the customs offices will actually know how to handle it.   And my personal experience with government bureaucrats is that many of their decisions are based upon "how likely am I to get in trouble" vs "how much paperwork do I have to do?" 

It may be easier for a lot of these customs officials to let packages slide as if the UK was still in the EU for days, even weeks after the actual Brexit date, if they have no clear direction. 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

I’m reminded of the Dead Parrot skit...

That ticker wouldn’t “pumpf” if you put 4 million volts through it. That my friend is a dead ticker....:lol:

It is an ex-ticker.

It would have already shuffled off this mortal coil but it's feet are nailed to screen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
7 minutes ago, bojesphob said:

I see. I guess the question at that point would be would you be forced to pay VAT for your order going to the UK when it's on a pallet and they don't actually KNOW you are the recipient until it's shipped out of the UK? I would think if anyone has to pay VAT at that point, it would be Reaper to get the shipment into the country. If a company from the UK shipped you something, you wouldn't have to pay VAT twice (even with Brexit)?

I'm not sure if I used the term VAT correctly.

If I receive anything from a NON EU Country I need to pay 33% of the value ( if above 22 euro) to Dutch Customs when it enters the Netherlands to clear it.

Now I paid Reaper to take care of that up front.

Should it arrive directly from the USA to me now, it would be ok.

Should it arrive through any other EU country first, I'm alright also.

But I don't know what will happen if it arrives in the UK and the UK is no longer an EU member.

Then it will be that I paid for entering the EU from the USA but now it enters the EU from the UK.

This could mean it is still taken care off, it could also mean I now need to pay customs again since it originates from a different (now) Non Eu country.

I'm not sure of this and nobody can give us the right answer because Brexit hasn't happened yet.

Therefore I'm happy to hear there is still a delay on Brexit and hoping for a delivery before that.

I'm not saying it WILL mean paying twice, but we don't know.

This has never happened before, so we're all in the dark here.

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Remember - this doesn't just apply to you, this applies to the low level bureaucrats enforcing all this.  The more uncertainty there is, the less likely that the individuals within the customs offices will actually know how to handle it.   And my personal experience with government bureaucrats is that many of their decisions are based upon "how likely am I to get in trouble" vs "how much paperwork do I have to do?" 

It may be easier for a lot of these customs officials to let packages slide as if the UK was still in the EU for days, even weeks after the actual Brexit date, if they have no clear direction. 

I sure hope this will be the case if needed

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, bojesphob said:

When packages ship to the US from the EU, the price is lower, as the VAT isn't collected. I don't know what the customs regulations are in the UK after Brexit (I doubt anyone does), but I would be surprised if UK and EU VAT would apply. More important would be potential duties or the added paperwork required for a second, individual customer, customs declaration.

:ph34r: Which is sort of what @Glitterwolf wrote while I was writing this.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Shadowphaze said:

There was some grumbling in the KS comments about them needing 3 more days as of yesterday.  Can anybody confirm?

This is all I found in the KS comments:

I understood they needed some time to get things prepared after Canada and the world were done, but three days?!?!? I work in shipping, logistics is my job where I ship hundreds of packages per day. My boss would fire me if I used that much downtime.

I think he was just referring to the 3 days from when they completed Canadian shipping completed and not to 3 days still to get it going.  I might have missed something though.  

• Like 8
Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

When packages ship to the US from the EU, the price is lower, as the VAT isn't collected. I don't know what the customs regulations are in the UK after Brexit (I doubt anyone does), but I would be surprised if UK and EU VAT would apply. More important would be potential duties or the added paperwork required for a second, individual customer, customs declaration.

:ph34r: Which is sort of what @Glitterwolf wrote while I was writing this.

Ok. I haven't had a lot of time to follow what's going on with Brexit and its implications, so I wasn't sure if there was a reason for the worry about 2 payments for VAT. The added clarification helps so thanks :)

• Like 4