Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 14: Do you ever have embarrassing memory lapses; if so, any good stories as a result?

I've had quite a few these past couple of months.

Moving to a new city means not knowing where anything is. Being the type of autistic where 'right' and 'left' have no meaning means I rely on cardinal directions (NSEW). Being in the middle of a giant metal city with underground power lines means I can't tell where North is anymore just by instinct.

I'm looooooooost! :ph34r:

I'm getting better tho. South Street is south, the stench comes from the abandoned shopping mall, the FLGS is on the trolley line, and if ever I get lost I just have to stalk follow random people wearing scrubs since I live near the hospital.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, apparently, I've run out of functioning brain cells.  Give me a few minutes. Wait, nevermind:

August 14: Do you ever have embarrassing memory lapses; if so, any good stories as a result?

...I don't remember any.

• Like 7

No, apparently, I've run out of functioning brain cells.  Give me a few minutes. Wait, nevermind:

School Play Waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. Middle of a scene and I just got completely forgot my line, but fortunately, instinct (and a good fellow "actor" on stage with me saved the day):

Me: (quickly realizing I've forgotten my line) "I feel like I should say something".

Buddy: You know, you really should.

Me: Well, if you were me, what would you say right now?

Buddy: Well, if I were you, I'd say (recites my line).

Me: Hmm, that's good.  (Recites proper line).

So not really embarrassing since we covered it up (sorta) and got a good laugh.

• Like 5

I will forgo the obvious joke here. I will, however, ask how many of us have looked around for our glasses when they were on our head?

• Like 6

After playing Humans vs Zombies, there are a lot of people that I simply do not remember until I picture them wearing a headband across their forehead. It has led to some interesting conversations where they recognize me and I stare blankly going "who are you??". 

5 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I will forgo the obvious joke here. I will, however, ask how many of us have looked around for our glasses when they were on our head?

My mom once was talking on her phone. After 10mins or so she got really worried and started going "where is my phone?!". She threw a hilarious hissy fit when we told her that she was using it presently. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Don't have to worry about the glasses but I do often enter a room in my house, stop, look around, then go "WTF did I just come in here?"

The other big one for me is that when I am driving a notable distance (multiple hours) I will take my wallet out of my back pocket and put it in the center console. Invariably, when we stop to eat, get gas, whatever, I'll get out of the car and start heading into the restaurant, store, whathaveyou, take about a half dozen steps then smack my forehead and retreat to the car to retrieve my wallet.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I've been in bed/the shower/various situations where I should not have glasses and wondered why I could still see. Only then do I realize I forgot to take them off.

Ah, forgetting to take glasses off. If I'm lucky it merely ends in smudged glasses.

• Like 7

Weekend Quest Failure Alert...

*** ...slaps blue button; squelches alert sound f/x... ***

::(: 

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 14: Do you ever have embarrassing memory lapses;

Yes;

...if so, any good stories as a result?

No, Nothing good ever results from a memory lapse...

• Like 3

I am horrible at remembering names.

Once I was so panicked over an exam, I forgot my OWN name!

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Argentee said:

I am horrible at remembering names.

I am also bad, very bad at that. 

6 minutes ago, Argentee said:

Once I was so panicked over an exam, I forgot my OWN name!

That has never happened. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I did that once. Almost called tech support. My sunglasses were still in place and there  I was, wondering why the colors on my monitor had gone all weird. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I've had quite a few these past couple of months.

Moving to a new city means not knowing where anything is. Being the type of autistic where 'right' and 'left' have no meaning means I rely on cardinal directions (NSEW). Being in the middle of a giant metal city with underground power lines means I can't tell where North is anymore just by instinct.

:huh: 

How does having above ground power lines help with navigation? 

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I'm looooooooost! :ph34r:

I'm getting better tho. South Street is south, the stench comes from the abandoned shopping mall, the FLGS is on the trolley line, and if ever I get lost I just have to stalk follow random people wearing scrubs since I live near the hospital.

That technique works well in tree-lined suburbia (in neighborhoods with twisty winding streets designed to foil thru traffic) ...if lost: follow the next car past that seems like it knows where it is going...

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, TGP said:

:huh: 

How does having above ground power lines help with navigation? 

High voltage power lines put out some oppressively big magnetic fields due to Physics. This has been tested on both cows and dogs. The dogs experiments won an Ig Nobel: if left to their own devices dogs will poop while facing a preferred direction. Someone won an award for that. Science! :B):

Humans have the same physical structures that cows, dogs, birds, etc do for sensing magnetic fields: blue cone cells and iron deposits in the ethmoid bone. Magnetosense has been documented in some remote tribes in the Amazon and in Africa. It tends to be lost in most cultures because of the invention of other directional shorthand, like right and left. I never lost mine because 'you write with your right and what's left is left' does not work if you write with either hand, I had to get around somehow and nobody told me I was doing it wrong.

Above ground power lines are structures I can see and avoid when trying to figure out where I am. I'm used to the ground being too earthquake-y to support much of an underground anything. Now I have tall buildings and a tiny patch of sky and every street has a high voltage subway underneath. It's unnerving. Just have to get used to it :mellow:

• Like 4