Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 14: Do you ever have embarrassing memory lapses; if so, any good stories as a result?

Woke up late for work one day, panicked, headed out the door and got halfway to work before I realized it was Saturday.

• Like 6
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

On 8/1/2017 at 8:15 AM, TaleSpinner said:

In light of the event today:

August 1: Do you plan to back the Bones IV Kickstarter?  If so, do you have a goal/strategy/rules in place for what types of items you will back, what you won't, and how much you are willing to spend (and please share)?

Yes. I will try and limit myself to the Core and Expansions. I back Reaper Kickstarters to get large piles of minis for inspiration when running games. At this point, I'm unlikely to save money buying, say, a dragon, through the Kickstarter vs. just buying it the month I intend to start painting it.

• Like 4

I forget all the time that I am deviating from my normal work comments when I'm driving to my parents.  This I invariably get off at my exit to go South to work instead of the immediate next one to go North to my parents.

It's happened often enough that now my wife and (non-driving) kids remind me not to auto pilot. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, apparently, I've run out of functioning brain cells.  Give me a few minutes. Wait, nevermind:

August 14: Do you ever have embarrassing memory lapses; if so, any good stories as a result?

Yes but no real good stories. Just annoying stuff. The wife sent me to the grocery store this morning with a list of three things. She teased me about not writing it down. I impressed her by actually returning with the right three things. It's getting worse all the time too but if I try hard I can remember. Well usually, most of the time.

• Like 5
On 8/3/2017 at 10:07 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 3: What is the most complicated/difficult conversion/sculpting project you have attempted/completed to date? Pictures welcome.

(Sorry for the late post again; moderating the Bones KS Threads is taking more time before work each day than anticipated)

Not sure. First that comes to mind is The Rainbow Tastes You!

P1015573.JPG

• Like 9
On 8/4/2017 at 9:13 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend Quest:

August 4:  Do you have a place that is not well organized, if so what? (Perhaps your paint studio, mini drawer, Bones collection, etc...)

August 5-6: Sort, clean up, and organize! Post before and after pictures.

1. My House.

2. My Tent.

Weekend Quest successful! I organized my tent. It had been a bit of chaos since I accidentally left the floor in my house but a friend brought it to Pennsic for me.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, apparently, I've run out of functioning brain cells.  Give me a few minutes. Wait, nevermind:

Most of my memory lapses go along the lines of "You know, my to-do list says I need to finish task x at work today." and then, at the end of the day, "Oh, crap, I didn't get x done."  It's not really so much forgetting it as it being preempted by everything else I have to do.  (Situation normal: something's on fire.)

Or sometimes I commit to doing something and then don't write it down.  Writing down things to remember is not a normal reflex at me.  (I believe) I have a pretty good memory and it's something I came to rely on when growing up so I'm used to just remembering x.  But nowadays it doesn't always take (probably because remembering it gets preempted by something else).

I don't really have a good story for memory lapses.  So I'll tell a related story: I'm horrible at remembering people I have just met without context.  When I was a junior in high school, I went to a new school.  I met two girls, also juniors, on my first day day, we'll call them E. and S., both of whom would be in my (small) circle of friends.  I met them at separate times.  Near the end of the day, I confused E. for S.  That was embarrassing.

• Like 4

August 10th: Hobby struggles are a combination of lacking energy, due to work and lacking time other than Mondays and Tuesdays where adulating tends to get in the way.

Weekend Challenge: Unable to complete, spent the weekend cleaning rather than messing.

August 14: Over the last few years I find myself calling everyone "kid" as names are things it seems I'm forgetting more often. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No good stories. Just me forgetting things I have to do, people I have to call, things that need getting. I usually remember in the wee hours of the morning when I can't accomplish anything. 

• Like 5
13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes. I am terrible with names.  They are the only thing I can't seem to remember about a person. I had a recent encounter which although I wouldn't describe as embarrassing, I would say that I wasn't very proud of myself that day. 

There was a girl in two of my classes last year. From August to May, I saw her in class at least once a week, spoke to her on occasion and even went out with her (not dating) as part of a group night out.  I am certain on numerous occasions I heard her name. A few weeks ago, I was waiting for the bus and she so happened to be waiting at the same bus-stop. She didn't notice me at first and I didn't say anything to her because I still couldn't remember her name.  At some point she did notice me and waved.  There were a lot of people at the stop and I was wearing sunglasses and headphones and was not directly facing her...so I pretended that I didn't see her. She waved again and I kinda turned my back as if I completely didn't see her. We got on the bus, stood a few feet apart from one another and I continued to pretend I didn't notice her for the entire 10 minute ride. The next day I ran into her again and she commented about me not seeing her so I apologized, told her I was simply exhausted from working too much (which was true) and was not paying attention to the world that day on the bus.  She accepted this, there  are no bad feelings between us and all is good.  The saddest part of this story however is the fact that I STILL don't know her name...I am not a good person lol. 

• Like 6
On 8/8/2017 at 9:30 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 8: What does the Dungeons and Dragons movie (the one currently in pre-production, not that horrible Jeremy Irons paycheck)...ABSOLUTELY HAVE to have in it? (DocBedlam)

Dungeons. Also Dragons.

• Like 3