Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

16 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, apparently, I've run out of functioning brain cells.  Give me a few minutes. Wait, nevermind:

August 14: Do you ever have embarrassing memory lapses; if so, any good stories as a result?

I'll echo what others have mentioned about spacing out on people's names.  I have, at times, blanked on the names of family members, long-time friends, and lovers.  

• Like 4
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, VitM said:

I'll echo what others have mentioned about spacing out on people's names.  I have, at times, blanked on the names of family members, long-time friends, and lovers.  

I seriously hope for your sake that when you forget your lovers name, it is not in the midst of flagrante delicto. That would be hard to explain lol.::D:

• Like 4
Just now, Baldur8762 said:

I seriously hope for your sake that when you forget your lovers name, it is not in the midst of flagrante delicto. That would be hard to explain lol.::D:

Forgetting right afterwards is the more difficult situation to smoothly cover.  It was tougher in the days before cellphones though.  Now, if necessary, you can excuse yourself to the bathroom and reference your texts for a reminder.  ::P:

• Like 3
1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

This is based on a discussion in my recent Show-off post:

August 15:

How do you define the following terms:

- Speed-paint

- Table-top quality

- Show quality

Speed Paint: It's a Myth!  There is no such beast in the wild that I have ever encountered.

Tabletop: Where I should have stopped an hour ago.

Show Quality: I'll get there soon... I've just got to fix this paint spot and I need to think of something else to add to the base and figure out a color for it and ... and ... and...

• Like 6
Just now, TaleSpinner said:

August 15:

- Speed-paint

- Table-top quality

- Show quality

Speed-paint is any paint job fully completed in less than 45 minutes to an hour.

Table-top quality is anything better than you can buy as a cheap, mass-market pre-paint.

Show quality is anything someone would pay to put in their company catalog.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Woke up late for work one day, panicked, headed out the door and got halfway to work before I realized it was Saturday.

Was anyone watching? Did you cover by returning with Donuts, Kolaches, or Breakfast Burritos?

We need ::D: ...yes, need... ::D: "the rest of the story".

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 15:

- Speed-paint

- Table-top quality

- Show quality

Speed paint: started and finished on the same day.

table-top: better than a prepaint mini.

Show quality: something magic people do.

12 minutes ago, VitM said:

Show quality is anything someone would pay to put in their company catalog.

Are you sure? I've seen some catalogue minis that looked worse than a bad prepaint....

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 15:

- Speed-paint

Two hours spent tops. 

- Table-top quality

It looks OK from 100cm away. 

- Show quality

Jen Haley, ...Marike, ...Schubert ( :blink: ) 

(Can't really describe something I can't do...must consider the phrase "magical people")

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 15:

- Speed-paint

- Table-top quality

- Show quality

Speed-paint: Anything painted significantly more quickly than normal for that painter. (5 hours when you usually take 7 is not a speed paint. :B):)

Show quality: The best work a painter can do before skill, time, or energy runs out completely.

Table-top quality: In between the categories above. Compromises are intentionally made for speed over quality, but quality is still a goal.

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 15:

- Speed-paint

- Table-top quality

- Show quality

I define the terms as follows:

- Speed Paint: any figure that took about an hour to two hours and has full coverage and basic highlighting and shading.  (In my case, speed painting is any figure that gets finished within a week of me starting it.)

- Tabletop: full coverage and at a minimum drybrushed highlights and a wash.  Blends from shadow to highlight can be abrupt. The figure looks "good enough" when the Arm's Length Rule is applied. Simple basing techniques (sand/flock).

- Show Quality: Details hold up to close inspection. Smooth blends from shadow to highlight.  Good contrast from shadow to highlight.  Attention to color selection.  Well executed free-hand is optional, but helps.  Has a certain "wow" factor when gazed upon.

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 15:

- Speed-paint

- Table-top quality

- Show quality

Speed Painting - At this point anything I complete within a month.

Tabletop Quality - If it looks decent in the middle of my work table it passes.

Show Quality - Almost anything painted by someone other than me.

Edited by hiddenone32
Phone chose some different words.
  • Like 4

I knew this was a good question.  As I suspected, we all have different bar settings for these terms.

Mine:

Speed-paint: Anything I paint in under 10 hours and on the same calendar day (i.e., I sit down and pound it out). Quality isn't always a factor, but it can be.

Table-top: Anything painted at less than the best of my abilities/lower than MS Open Bronze level work. They also tend not to have elaborate basing. In essence, these are the minis that I am not afraid to use in my games.

Show: MS Open Bronze level or higher quality work.  Typically, if I use this term it is because I put my heart, best of my abilities, and likely more than 10 hours (20-30 more typically) into a piece, which usually puts me in Bronze or better range.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 15:

- Speed-paint

- Table-top quality

- Show quality

-Speed-paint: anything you do a lot faster than you normally paint, one hour is a good restriction to up your game with

-Tabletop Quality: keep painting it until I don't hate it anymore

-Show Quality: what I envy all of you doing as I watch from afar

• Like 3