Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

32 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Miniature Monday: Do you remove flash from your minis before painting them? If so, how and do your methods vary by material?

Usually I just use Xacto and/or needle files. I purchased a cuticle cutter upon somebody's recommendation here but haven't actually had any flash to remove since I bought it just after starting my current lot.

• Like 4
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Miniature Monday: Do you remove flash from your minis before painting them? If so, how and do your methods vary by material?

Yes. Metal: Clippers if there's a huge tab, then files to get it smooth.

Bones: Yes, a sharp exacto knife. Though I do use sanding needles if it's really tiny or a place I'd have trouble cutting.

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Obsessively.  Usually I use an X-acto blade, followed by a file if necessary.

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Yes, as others have said, sharp exacto knife, metal files for metal minis, sanding needles for bones.

• Like 5

I remove flash both before and during painting.  No matter how much time I spend up front, it supprises me how much I miss and have to take care of after it's primed. 

I also really only go through the effort with metal and resin.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Pretty much so. I do the razor knife scrape on flash & mold lines.

I do admit to leaving one or two mold lines on occasion to annoy the purists. Combined with a "it's a seam" or "I like the look" , that is enough to send them screaming into the night...so to speak.

Pronouncing Malifaux as "Molly Fox" works like that on Malifaux rules types.

• Like 6

:lol:

August 21:

Yes I do, or at least, I try to.

Metal---knife, file

Bones--knife, sanding needles

plastic---knife, file

Hmmm, I guess my methods don't vary, just the tools I use...

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

:lol:

Yes I do, or at least, I try to.

Metal---knife, file

Bones--knife, sanding needles

plastic---knife, file

Hmmm, I guess my methods don't vary, just the tools I use...

What he said..

Plus the Dremel...

And seam scraper...

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 6

August 21:

I do, but on my Bones CAV models I'm not as vigilant about it because there are so many of them.  For plastics of all stripes I use a seam scraper, fine sanding pads, and sometimes files.  Metal is a combination of side clippers and files.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Yes. Exacto knife and or files are my tools of the trade

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

This probably depends on who you ask. Sort of like I've been known to hit a little ball around wide open grassy areas with sticks of various lengths, but most "golfers" would say I don't golf.  :p

Seriously though, I try to remove as much as I can before hand, but I am not nearly as meticulous as many. I will get rid of the extra flash, try to remove mold lines, etc. Invariably I will miss some, or settle for "good enough" rather than perfection, but then I also just paint for myself, so I can better live with the extra mold line, etc. than if I were painting for show, competition, commission, etc.

As for what do I use? It does vary based on material. I use a combination of flash cutters, metal files, X-Acto knives, and sanding needles. Or sometimes just my fingers if its an obvious enough and brittle enough piece of flash.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Absolutely. For metal I use a side cutter for the larger bits, then use a file to smooth down the rest. For Bones I use the irreplaceably-handy seam scraper, it's saved my bacon more than once when it comes to the harder-to-reach areas.

• Like 4