Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 22: Did you experience the eclipse yesterday, if so what did you think?

I experienced eclipse related traffic, does that count?

In all honesty, was working but it didn't get particularly dark here. Perhaps the most impressive part is that it didn't get dark despite 95% coverage.

• Like 4
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes I did. Science rules. We built a reflecting telescope using cardboard, binoculars, and a music stand. A couple of neighbors brought out pinhole cameras, eclipse glasses, and welding masks. A good time was had by all. What was really cool was when the sun was obscured by clouds but the filters on the welding masks still showed it.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well I was outside while it happened.  I left my pinhole camera at home and don't have eclipse glasses.  It was only about 66% covered here so it got slightly darker and slightly cooler for a short while, which was kinda nice.

• Like 3

I thought it was pretty cool, even though I wasn't in a place where I could see the full eclipse.  We had a pretty massive thunderstorm in the afternoon as well, so for a while it was rather dark out.  The whole event had that eerie quality that you sometimes get when the sky seems unusual and the air feels tense. ::D:

• Like 4
On 8/21/2017 at 7:00 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 21:

Miniature Monday: Do you remove flash from your minis before painting them? If so, how and do your methods vary by material?

Yes. 

I need to get one of those seam scrapers. 

Epic Fail. 

Tried to make a pinhole thing. 

Failed. 

I looked at the 2 hour live TV coverage offered up by CBS and ABC. It was wretched. [rant mode]

ABC's two hour live coverage of the Eclipse, where the Moon was obscuring our view of the Sun, was in turn obscured by David Muir's pretty boy, highly made up, GQ cover, face ...which the IDIOTS producing that wretched coverage COULD NOT BRING THEMSELVES TO REMOVE FROM THE SCREEN. 

I wanted to see the FACE of the SUN. And hear some science. And see lots of different views through lots of different filters I could never have access to.  But no, David Friggin' Muir's Incessant Face obscuring the Eclipse. Two words for you ABC:

voice over. 

[/rant]

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

No.

I was unable to gnaw through my leg in order to escape from work in time.<_<

(I get to spend 90% of my workday inside in a room with no windows)

• Like 4

Monday 20th: Yes when I have time. Unfortunately my latest works will not have any mold lines scrapped off. I found a big one on the Bones blue dragon wyrmling mini, right down the center of it's head. I didn't find that till after I had gotten it primed. Oh well, next time. Tools: Depends on the material but most likely X-acto knife, files, hobby emery boards are my tools of choice.

Tuesday 21st: HELL YEAH!!! While I wasn't going to be outside the entire time I ended going outside & staying after I fed the squirrels their peanuts & refilled the rabbit's bowls. I had a few minis to spray seal so after I did those I figured eh, I'll just stay out here till it goes dark. I ended up taking a few pic that I posted over on FaceBOO!k. Nothing really spectacular but they help remember the moments. I will fully remember the weird vibe I got when it start to cover with just a small amount left. The whole subdued shadow effect. The crescents coming from the light in the trees. The "shadow snakes" on the ground. Once it went full totality (we were at 100%) it fantastic to see go into full effect & to look up & see the sun & moon together was a truely awesome experience.

Last eclipse like this happened in 1979. I was 6 years old so this one pretty special. My wife was at work but it was dead so the entire store was outside watching. My daughter was with the grandparents & my son was in school enjoying a extended lunch break yesterday. Everyone had a great time.

Now to plan for 2169!!! Oh wait.....ummm yah about that :lol: 

13 minutes ago, hiddenone32 said:

You know the important question is, did anyone find any strange plants?

FB_IMG_1503408907561.jpg.ce65d9724d2eb84aa02a434c4e6f49f7.jpg

My neighbors have 4 of them Mary Jane plants growing in their backyard but they were there before the eclipse. ha ha

13 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

No.

I was unable to gnaw through my leg in order to escape from work in time.<_<

(I get to spend 90% of my workday inside in a room with no windows)

Probably a good thing, I mean do your co-workers really wanna see a half-changed/hybrid werewolf? :B):

• Like 3

8/22: My company is full of engineers and geeks of all sorts, so we ended getting Eclipse glasses at the front desk for everyone, we all went out in the field and looked up...we only had about 60% coverage; but it was still pretty neat.

• Like 5