Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

26 minutes ago, LordJosh said:

8/22: My company is full of engineers and geeks of all sorts, so we ended getting Eclipse glasses at the front desk for everyone, we all went out in the field and looked up...we only had about 60% coverage; but it was still pretty neat.

Basically what we did here, except 80%

• Like 5
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

91% coverage here south of Indianapolis.  Meh.  It was the same as I remember when I was in 2nd grade. 

Turns out the sun puts out a LOT of light, so even 91% coverage was more like "overcast sky/gonna rain." 

I'm looking forward to 2024, since my house will be in the direct path of totality.  That will be cool.  I've got friends already planning on putting their houses on AirBnB for that day.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 22: Did you experience the eclipse yesterday, if so what did you think?

The eclipse experienced me.:blues:

We got 80% coverage here, and as I was driving it got noticeably darker and cooler as time went on. Had Eclipse viewers from SkyNews magazine to look at it, was pretty neat. My eyes aren't burning and aching yet, so the viewers must have been okay.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It was magical (but not - it was just the world doing what it does because physics). 

We were up in WY on BF's family's ranch in the middle of no-where near Torrington. Got to hear their ducks and geese get tweaky. Missed the reaction from the pigs and goats. Played with sweet kittens. Helped the bitty kiddos get their masks on to watch. 

Totality was spectacular. Clear day except for some fire smog from Montana. 

The family is part of the fire department (who prepared like it was the apocalypse) and we were listening to their radio for traffic issues. Stayed at the ranch until 10pm, left via a route that totally bipassed I-25 and I-80. Got home at 2am, 4hr drive, no traffic. 

Super worth it. 

• Like 6

I stepped outside a couple of times, but a 95% total eclipse was less exciting than the full annular eclipse I saw in grade school because, well, it was grade school.

Were I around in a billion years to see the last ever total eclipse I might be more excited about it.

• Like 2

The eclipse was indeed an eclipse. Mostly, I had fun watching all my students freak out. The school issued eclipse glasses, and most of them, when we went outside, stretched out on the grass with the glasses on and observed and wowed.

And then there was the one kid who tried to observe without the glasses, and had to be taken inside.

And then there was the other kid who insisted on running full tilt boogie with the glasses on, ran into a basketball goal, and got a bloody nose because he couldn't see with the glasses on.

Sigh.

• Like 13
14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My wife and I went down to Columbia, SC to see it.  She has always wanted to see a total eclipse.

We drove down Friday and back today.  We knew traffic could be stupid on Monday so we decided we'd just opt out of it.  Had some good food, visited several used bookstores, finally watched Pacific Rim (so I can finally send that DVD back to Netflix), saw the eclipse on Monday at the South Carolina State Museum.

The eclipse was... interesting.  I'd never seen a crescent sun before (much less totality).  The pressure change as the sun became more obscured were interesting.  It felt like it was going to rain but there were almost no clouds in the sky.

Totality was awesome, awing, and pretty.  I don't know if I can describe it in a way that would do the event justice.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Took the kids over to visit friends, shared some glasses and played with a pinhole projector.  It was fun, but not amazing.  On the other hand, I was not in the mood to drive down to Oregon from Seattle along with millions of other people so we only got a little over 90%. 

I mentioned elsewhere that I think I like northern lights more.  Living in northern Canada as a child I got to see plenty of those and it was always magical. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

And then there was the one kid who tried to observe without the glasses, and had to be taken inside.

And then there was the other kid who insisted on running full tilt boogie with the glasses on, ran into a basketball goal, and got a bloody nose because he couldn't see with the glasses on.

Sigh.

Possible future leaders of America!! ::P:

• Like 6