Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

4 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 23: I have lots and lots of ripe tomatoes in the garden now.  What is your favorite method of preparing tomatoes?

I'm jealous. We had a freak late frost near the end of June and it wiped out our tomatoes and cucumbers and hurt a lot of the other stuff. Yesterday I picked one cucumber and while 3 of the tomato plants regrew they are only starting to flower now. Doubtful they'll grow anything before a frost in September kills them. Anyhoo, we like fresh as is or in salads or canned when there's too many to keep. Throw them into a lot of recipes but don't have specific tomato recipes.

• Like 4
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 23: I have lots and lots of ripe tomatoes in the garden now.  What is your favorite method of preparing tomatoes?

Depends.  Cherry tomatoes and similar go nice on salads as is.

Larger tomatoes, hm.  Salsa or homemade pasta sauce.  Either of these should freeze well for long-term storage.  (The salsa should be well-pureed, like what you get from Mexican restaurants around here.  A chunky salsa may not unthaw nicely.)

• Like 3

I think I am making corn and black bean salsa tonight, as I also have way more peppers than I know what to do with as well. Garden is going nuts for me this year, at least the parts the deer don't like.

I'll make a big vat of salsa and can it tonight in pint jars.

Then with second crop of tomatoes in September I'll make and can pasta sauce.

• Like 6
25 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Caprese salad (sliced or tossed), marinara sauce, salsa. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Ketchup. I have people who make that for me. ^_^

Failing that, sliced and salted is very good. I don't actually like fresh tomatoes for spaghetti sauce, because the ratio of water to tomato solids is too high, so I typically use tomato paste for that.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't typically eat fresh tomatoes. My usual way of consuming them is either spaghetti sauce, chili, or salsa. Occasionally I have a salad with cherry tomatoes. 

Now, if I could rich as sin and have the life of Martha Stewart, I would totally can my own tomatoes, salsa, and spaghetti sauce.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Ketchup. I have people who make that for me. ^_^

Failing that, sliced and salted is very good. I don't actually like fresh tomatoes for spaghetti sauce, because the ratio of water to tomato solids is too high, so I typically use tomato paste for that.

Need lots of sauce tomatoes (denser tomato meat) and lots of time to simmer. That's how you get fresh ones better than paste. It is just a lot of work to do so, but the result is more flavorful. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sauce! All day pasta sauce! You need a pile of vegetables (onion, bell pepper, mushroom, and garlic are good), whatever leftover meat's in the fridge (beef works best, uncured pork is second best), more tomatoes than you think is possible (might need to supplement with a can of stewed tomatoes), a gigantic cast iron pot (the cast iron is important), and an entire day to let it all cook down. It should look less like sauce and more like a tomato, mushroom, meat, and pepperoni stew you're trying to spoon over pasta.

Alternatively, fresh salsa. Make it the day before so flavors can meld properly in the fridge.

• Like 6

Aug 23

Probably salads or sliced tomatoes on a sandwich. Thou you can put spaghetti sauce in there too, but since I usually buy pre-made sauces, I won't include it entirely.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sauce, chili, or stew. The slimy seeds of fresh tomatoes are something I've never been able to stand. It's a texture thing.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Alternatively, fresh salsa. Make it the day before so flavors can meld properly in the fridge.

That's what I am doing tonight. We are having a Taco party at work tomorrow.  I'm on for bringing salsa.  I'm going to roast the bell peppers over a wood fire first.  I already have the black beans mostly cooked. My only issue is to try to make a Minnesota version for the capsasin impaired and a hot version for the rest of us at the same time.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

That's what I am doing tonight. We are having a Taco party at work tomorrow.  I'm on for bringing salsa.  I'm going to roast the bell peppers over a wood fire first.  I already have the black beans mostly cooked. My only issue is to try to make a Minnesota version for the capsasin impaired and a hot version for the rest of us at the same time.

Do you have access to banana peppers? They're really mild with more of a tangy flavor than anything. Alternatively, poblano peppers go well with beans and are also quite mild.

Although having been to Minnesota :unsure: I dunno...

• Like 5