Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

@TaleSpinner, make a savory pie. Chicken pot pie. Add a "surprise" to one of them, and let everyone know there is a surprise in the one pie. Put in a whole but small habanero in, unchopped. 

Fortunately, when my group did this, the Malasian woman with the heat tolerance of a dragon got that slice :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Do you have access to banana peppers? They're really mild with more of a tangy flavor than anything. Alternatively, poblano peppers go well with beans and are also quite mild.

Although having been to Minnesota :unsure: I dunno...

Yep, I grow 3 types of sweet bell peppers, banana peppers, and jalapenos.  The later being the hottest I dare use if I want my youngest to eat dinner. My wife would like hotter (she once won a pepper eating content by being the only person who could make through the raw Ghost pepper round), but the youngest and myself are content with medium heat. I can eat hotter, but prefer not to.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Do you have access to banana peppers? They're really mild with more of a tangy flavor than anything. Alternatively, poblano peppers go well with beans and are also quite mild.

Although having been to Minnesota :unsure: I dunno...

Hey now! There are lots of spices in Minnesota. There's salt, and pepper, and salt-and-pepper, and ketchup, and even mustard (if you're adventurous).

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 8
2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Hey now! There are lots of spices in Minnesota. There's salt, and pepper, and salt-and-pepper, and ketchup, and even mustard (if you're adventurous).

Slow down there with that pepper man.  My Swedish grandmother would not agree!

If you need more than salt and ketchup, you're probably not doing Minnesota right.

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Most of my ancestors are Norwegian. That's probably the difference.

^_^

Hmm. On mom's side one great grandmother was Norwegian, she married a Dane. Another was Swedish who married an american mongrel. Add in a German great grandpa on the dad's side. All of them lived in Minnesota. Always felt an emotional connection to Minnesota even though I've only been there once.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 23: I have lots and lots of ripe tomatoes in the garden now.  What is your favorite method of preparing tomatoes?

Processed to the point they no longer taste like tomatoes.  These I purchase at the store.

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Now, if I could rich as sin and have the life of Martha Stewart, I would totally can my own tomatoes, salsa, and spaghetti sauce.

I know people that do those things, and none of them are rich.

• Like 4

August 23: I have lots and lots of ripe tomatoes in the garden now.  What is your favorite method of preparing tomatoes?

Hollow them out, fill them with a little minced meat, sprinkle cheese over them, put in oven...

• Like 3

22nd. Yes we went out. 97% percent coverage here, enough so that it seemed like dusk. I did the pinhole thing so my wife and daughter could see (not that a 4 1/2 month old would care). Then I looked directly through some clouds myself without anything on. That was pretty cool. No damage to the eyes was noted.

23rd. I guess in a salad, but they need to be firm, I dislike soft tomatoes. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

BLT

~~~~~~

22 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

The eclipse was indeed an eclipse. Mostly, I had fun watching all my students freak out. The school issued eclipse glasses, and most of them, when we went outside, stretched out on the grass with the glasses on and observed and wowed.

And then there was the one kid who tried to observe without the glasses, and had to be taken inside.

And then there was the other kid who insisted on running full tilt boogie with the glasses on, ran into a basketball goal, and got a bloody nose because he couldn't see with the glasses on.

Sigh.

It does make you wonder how humans came to be the apex predators....

If people are this dumb, what is it like to be an Angus steer?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

Last few years, I've been growing cherry tomatoes AND banana peppers in the back yard. It's a task not to just munch the tomatoes down as they ripen. They're SO much tastier than anything from the store... mostly, we do them in salads, although they roast up nice, too.

TGP: I think of it as a process of the herd. 300 kids out there laying in the grass and wearing their safety glasses, no sweat... but there WILL be one or two who do something dumb. It happens. Statistics, if nothing else.

EDIT: AAAAAAARGH! This evening, I went out to harvest and found TOMATO HORNWORMS! THREE OF THEM! AAAAAAAAARGH!

They died horribly, but I'm going to have nightmares tonight. My poor tomatoes...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 5