Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 24: Outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities, what is another hobby that you enjoy?

Woodworking (mostly furniture making)

Hiking and exploring

Painting (acrylic on canvas)

Exercise and general physical athleticism

• Like 3
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

August 24: Outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities, what is another hobby that you enjoy?

Woodworking. Photography. 

1 hour ago, ttuckerman said:

....Disc Golf,...

That is a sport. I consider sports to be distinct from hobbies...

But on the subject of disc golf: the course I once played on installed a brand new hole at one point. Let me tell you about #10. It was short. There were two alternative tee positions both located on the edge of woods at the top of a creek embankment. The wooded area corresponded to the creek. The embankments were easily 12 feet above the dry summer day level of the creek. The opposite bank was entirely wooded except for one small clearing. The trees were live oaks mostly...one foot thick trunks. Spaced 8-10 feet apart, wherever the squirrels alive 100 years ago had seen fit to plant them. The walk from the concrete slab tees to the basket was: down steps hacked into the bank, across a single split log bridge 12 feet below, up more steps on the other side, wend past some trees...and yes to the middle of the little clearing where the basket was planted. The (dense) canopy was a good ten feet overhead; the trees were fifty/sixty feet tall; squirrels alive now could easily walk tree to tree without ever getting near the ground. 

Par 3. Fire off the tee, thru a tree trunk maze, over a deep creek, fly it into that clearing...there's your basket. 

First and only time (he was visiting from 900 miles away) my younger brother played that course, I got to see him Ace #10. A gently curving arc through the trees, to the basket, right in the chains. 

Hole. In. One. 

• Like 4

I don't think I have any now.

There's other stuff I do with my free time, but I don't think I invest in any of them enough to consider them bona fide hobbies.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure everyone here has heard me wax rhapsodic about the SCA, but some of y'all might not know that I'm also an amateur actor. I had several lead roles in a troupe with some of my SCA friends called Verse and Vodka that is now sadly closed and earlier this month I performed in the Known World Players' production of The Merry Wives of Windsor. The Known World Players is a troupe that performs at Pennsic and a few other venues, meeting for only half a dozen or so in-person rehearsals, relying on our wit, our wits, and the script.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

- simple woodworking

- video games

- engraving objects that aren't nailed to the floor and will fit in the machine

- brewing

- there's a guitar in the corner I keep insisting I'm going to learn to play

- assembling model kits (very dormant at the moment)

I tend to shift focus from one to another for brief but intense periods of time.

• Like 4

Video games, reading and rock climbing (which is not ideal for modeling...)

• Like 3

I enjoy reading.  I don't get to do much of it these days though.  (Or, scratch that, I do, but I'm reading Pathfinder and old D&D texts to prepare put off preparing for the Pathfinder campaign I'm supposed to be running "soon.")

I enjoy programming but I do even less of that these days.  Overtime for work eats into my free time -- and I can't program personal projects when I'm on the clock.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about target shooting.  Probably because I haven't renewed my range membership in a long time and wouldn't have time to go to the range if I did.

Ditto. I used to shoot a recurve. Haven't in ages, but it is fun. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It shifts around every now and then...

It's been minis and gaming for 46 years, so that seems pretty constant.

Other hobbies currently active include bicycling (losing weight has made that a lot more fun but that's been an on and off activity for decades), ballroom dancing with my significant other (seven years now), and a little bit of ice dance (about eleven years there). 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hiking, reading, TV/Movies (to the extent that counts as a "hobby"). 

• Like 3