Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 24: Outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities, what is another hobby that you enjoy?

Most of my hobbies have bit the dust over the years. Still want to do them but time, energy and money are too scarce. Still active on a regular basis are reading, gaming (video and tabletop) and traveling. I'm not sure traveling is a hobby as much as a spousal duty but I do enjoy it. It's our number 1 money sink after living expenses. On the almost dead but hanging on category are paintball and hunting. Dead but very much missing is horses. Modern ranching with a truck sucks compared to having good horses.

• Like 3
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I do a little archery but it's been a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about target shooting.  Probably because I haven't renewed my range membership in a long time and wouldn't have time to go to the range if I did.

57 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Ditto. I used to shoot a recurve. Haven't in ages, but it is fun. 

I didn't mention it since, Archery is a sport...

But never mind that! With four of us that is enough for a full rank! (In 5 out of 8 versions of Warhammer® ...if there was one other it would be 8 of 8)

• Like 2

If you're just doing an activity for fun instead of competition, is it really still a sport? Or is it a generically athletic hobby? You could also argue that horseback riding is a sport. The hunter-jumper stuff I used to do certainly qualifies as a sport. Dressage is a sport. But... jumping on the back of a horse using nothing but a halter for steering is hobby play imo. :poke:

• Like 8
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 24: Outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities, what is another hobby that you enjoy?

Other than miniature crafting (I haven't gamed in a very long time) I am a crossword puzzle addict.

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, TGP said:

But never mind that! With four of us that is enough for a full rank! (In 5 out of 8 versions of Warhammer® ...if there was one other it would be 8 of 8)

I can shoot a bow. I've only done it once in the last 10 years but still know how. It's on my dead hobby list. So dead I'd forgotten about it. I actually prefer long bows and recurve bows to composite bows.

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, TGP said:

You have me too then; I used to shoot competitively.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Writing used to be a hobby. Now I'm trying to make money off of it.

I used to read fortunes for money (tarot, object impressions, runes, auras) now I do it for tips and giggles. Gave a few lectures about my experiences. Now I'd call it a hobby.

I collect old cool books.

I cook.

I build computers with parts I find.

I do planetary astrophysics for fun? No, seriously, I'll calculate a hypothetical semi-major axis just because I'm bored. I can build a planet for you without breaking a sweat. This freaks people out for some reason :mellow:

Also jigsaw puzzles. But that's less of a hobby and more of a stimming activity.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

If you're just doing an activity for fun instead of competition, is it really still a sport? Or is it a generically athletic hobby? You could also argue that horseback riding is a sport. The hunter-jumper stuff I used to do certainly qualifies as a sport. Dressage is a sport. But... jumping on the back of a horse using nothing but a halter for steering is hobby play imo. :poke:

I agree. If you're competing or preparing for competition, it's a sport. But if you're just shooting (or whatever) because you like the activity, I'd call it a hobby. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Er.. Hang on, let me think.

I make jewelry (beads, wire, thread). I know how to spin fiber into yarn (I ended up with three drop spindles and a wheel.. and no time, or outlet for the results, since I'm a poor knitter at best and what I produce isn't really consistent enough to weave). I own three looms, counting cards as a loom, and I know how to use two of them. The third, I don't have the space to set up. Whoops...

I sing (badly), dance (tribal bellydance), and can vaguely recall a couple of steps out of the handful that make up ballroom.

I swim, fly kites, would make kites if I had to (in theory, I know how, and a diamond kite isn't hard to make).

Obviously, I art. Wait. IS that obvious? Uh...

I have been known to slap paint on anything that sits still long enough (walls, canvas, paper... resin.. ), occasionally with good results.

I also cook, by the 'this looks good, and I have some of this.. oh, I should use up the last of that' method, and get decent results. I also bake, although my confection abilities are limited to fudge; I don't have the space for anything more exotic... I have recipes, though.

While I wouldn't call it a hobby, I do enjoy puzzles and a good book; good way to reset my head. ^^;

Er. Wow. I have a lot of hobbies. o.O

• Like 8
45 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Writing used to be a hobby. Now I'm trying to make money off of it.

I used to read fortunes for money (tarot, object impressions, runes, auras) now I do it for tips and giggles. Gave a few lectures about my experiences. Now I'd call it a hobby.

I collect old cool books.

I cook.

I build computers with parts I find.

I do planetary astrophysics for fun? No, seriously, I'll calculate a hypothetical semi-major axis just because I'm bored. I can build a planet for you without breaking a sweat. This freaks people out for some reason :mellow:

Also jigsaw puzzles. But that's less of a hobby and more of a stimming activity.

Astrophysics as a hobby is AWESOME. Seriously. I've done silly calculations for fun too - regarding the distance to the horizon (for knowing how far away orcs on the horizon are). Science is awesome and should be practiced regularly, as a career or as a hobby. 

15 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Er.. Hang on, let me think.

I make jewelry (beads, wire, thread). I know how to spin fiber into yarn (I ended up with three drop spindles and a wheel.. and no time, or outlet for the results, since I'm a poor knitter at best and what I produce isn't really consistent enough to weave). I own three looms, counting cards as a loom, and I know how to use two of them. The third, I don't have the space to set up. Whoops...

I sing (badly), dance (tribal bellydance), and can vaguely recall a couple of steps out of the handful that make up ballroom.

I swim, fly kites, would make kites if I had to (in theory, I know how, and a diamond kite isn't hard to make).

Obviously, I art. Wait. IS that obvious? Uh...

I have been known to slap paint on anything that sits still long enough (walls, canvas, paper... resin.. ), occasionally with good results.

I also cook, by the 'this looks good, and I have some of this.. oh, I should use up the last of that' method, and get decent results. I also bake, although my confection abilities are limited to fudge; I don't have the space for anything more exotic... I have recipes, though.

While I wouldn't call it a hobby, I do enjoy puzzles and a good book; good way to reset my head. ^^;

Er. Wow. I have a lot of hobbies. o.O

^^ yeah... jewelry work. I used to do that. I have a lot of unlisted hobbies too. You seem like you'd be fun to hang out with for Art And Food time! 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I enjoy crafting things like sewing which ties into cosplay, though I haven't done that in a while. I also like to cook and bake when my brain will allow me to.

ETA: gaming (video, board , and rpging). And puzzles. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot more.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 3
57 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I've done atmospheric pressure decline based on planetary mass and mean temp for fun. (About a billion years for Mars to near zero for O2, which is a bit of a problem for hypothetical terraforming.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

You'd first have to define "sport". I define a sport as any competitive activity that has organized play and safety regulations. Football is a sport, even if you're just going through the motions in your backyard and skipping most of the finer details of the game. Boxing is a sport even if no one's watching, but beating someone up in an alley is not a sport.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, etherial said:

You'd first have to define "sport". I define a sport as any competitive activity that has organized play and safety regulations. Football is a sport, even if you're just going through the motions in your backyard and skipping most of the finer details of the game. Boxing is a sport even if no one's watching, but beating someone up in an alley is not a sport.

That's a fair clarification, though "safety regulations", I think, puts too much restriction on the definition.

If you're shooting hoops for the fun of it, that's not a sport. If you're shooting hoops to get better in pickup games at your local park, that's a sport. As are those games. And I wouldn't say that such games are covered by "regulations", but rather by a loose social contract.

• Like 2