Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

If you're just doing an activity for fun instead of competition, is it really still a sport? Or is it a generically athletic hobby?

Yes. 

Yes it really still is. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Tries to think of a generically athletic hobby... ... ...succeeds! Two examples of GAH:

• Beachcombing - walking along the beach, collecting driftwood, seashells, throwing rocks at the gulls.

• Birdwatching - if said watching involves tromping in the woods/wilderness in order to find said birds, but not throw rocks at them. 

~~~~~~~~~~

If somefolk, somewhere do the physical activity and they keep score it is a sport.  

Do the activity —ya've done a sport— even if you do not bother keeping scores or times or distances.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TGP said:

I didn't mention it since, Archery is a sport...

But never mind that! With four of us that is enough for a full rank! (In 5 out of 8 versions of Warhammer® ...if there was one other it would be 8 of 8)

I'd look kind of out of place with my rifle, surrounded by bows.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 24: Outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities, what is another hobby that you enjoy?

Hmm.  I swim, but not really as a hobby.

I garden; cook; design and sew clothing, costumes, and leatherwork; paint; write and draw comics; study history, mythology, and languages; and enjoy photography.

I have a coin collection from when I was a kid.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I'd look kind of out of place with my rifle, surrounded by bows.

There are wackier things in Warhammer <_< ...special equipment, we'll make you the unit champion. 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, TGP said:

If somefolk, somewhere do the physical activity and they keep score it is a sport.  

Do the activity —ya've done a sport— even if you do not bother keeping scores or times or distances.

So, since people stack cups competitively, emptying the dishwasher is a sport?

I'm afraid I consider that definition ... idiosyncratic. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I say we all disagree to agree... er... I mean, the other way around.

If I spend more than 2 hours per week consistently doing it... then I'm going to be over here calling it a hobby.

I might could make money at it or it might cost me a fortune... as long as I'm not making enough money to live off of and still going to a job working for someone else... I'm going to call it a hobby.

Actually, I should add that I should enjoy some part of the activity ... otherwise it gets disqualified as a hobby.

This prevents things like Dishwashing, Yard Work and CrossFit from entering into my Hobby Zone.  

Can a hobby be a sport? You bet.  Are all hobbies sports? Nope.  Are all sports hobbies? Nope.

So, I guess that whittles down my list to... practically nothing... hmmm... maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Oh... wait!  Reading in the Throne Room!  Woot!  I still have a hobby besides miniatures!

• Like 7

It's hard to shoot where I live. No ranges that are practical. In the vein of archery one of my life goals/bucket list items is to take a deer using only tackle that I have built. This means bow, string, quiver, arrow, arrowhead. 

• Like 5

Alright, so a sport can be practiced as a hobby. A hobby may or may not qualify as a sport. 

So I think I am still correct in calling my goof-around archery and horseback riding a hobby, due to the way it was practiced. When I was actually using a saddle and getting instruction on jumping, that was practicing a sport (ok, I practiced that more alone due to a twit of an instructor who thought the healthy horse wasn't able to jump - he was). 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 24: Outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities, what is another hobby that you enjoy?

So some of my hobbies (like baking) kinda became my job when I became a stay at home mom.  I mean, cooking can be fun but making dinner every night is work. 

It would be safest to say that crafting is my hobby, because the crafts I'm into rotates.  I've done a fair bit of knitting and quilting, sewing clothing/costumes and cross stitch.  Currently dabbling in jewelry making (mostly beaded kumihimo, a little bit of resin embedding) and sometimes soap making.  (One of the kids has super-sensitive skin and home-made soap helps.).  I'm trying to focus on painting minis at the moment because when I dabble I don't improve as much.  But for portable projects that I can take with me knitting and kumihimo still win. 

• Like 6
On 8/23/2017 at 10:51 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 23: I have lots and lots of ripe tomatoes in the garden now.  What is your favorite method of preparing tomatoes?

Almost any way is fine, but I'll go with 'sauce' as a more finite answer.

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

There are things outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities? I disbelieve!::P:

Reading

Listening to music/going to concerts (I'm not too old to get in the pit, but I think that day isn't too far away, either)

Hiking/exploring wild areas away from 'civilization'

Shooting ( guns, bows, catapults, {yes, I have actually fired a catapult} ANYTHING). I do this for fun, so it's not a sport in my opinion, so nyah!::P:

Knife throwing

Collecting anything with a blade (mostly knives, but I've got  couple of pretty cool axes, too)

I used to computer game a lot, but I just kinda stopped; I haven't done this in around 3-4 years.

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

I say we all disagree to agree... er... I mean, the other way around.

If I spend more than 2 hours per week consistently doing it... then I'm going to be over here calling it a hobby.

I might could make money at it or it might cost me a fortune... as long as I'm not making enough money to live off of and still going to a job working for someone else... I'm going to call it a hobby.

Actually, I should add that I should enjoy some part of the activity ... otherwise it gets disqualified as a hobby.

This prevents things like Dishwashing, Yard Work and CrossFit from entering into my Hobby Zone.  

Can a hobby be a sport? You bet.  Are all hobbies sports? Nope.  Are all sports hobbies? Nope.

So, I guess that whittles down my list to... practically nothing... hmmm... maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Oh... wait!  Reading in the Throne Room!  Woot!  I still have a hobby besides miniatures!

Hobbies are supposed to be fun so that crosses out those two for me plus house repairs and maintenance. I pretty much agree on your definitions. Sports can be hobbies. I might call it sport over hobby if you are real serious about it. Nothing I do is serious enough to call anything but a hobby. Some days I'm wondering if my farming is a hobby because I get distracted and dragged away from it so often. My best friend and I used to upset some people because we call everything toys. Guy buys an expensive rifle and we said nice toy. Got mad at us because hunting was very serious to him. We asked do you do it to live or just for fun. I guess for fun. Then the gun's a toy. Same thing with fancy cars, motorbikes, whatever. Unless you're making a living off it, it's all toys. ^_^

• Like 6
14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Scale modeling (WWII aircraft and armor)

Restoring vintage autos (Triumph TR6 and Sunbeam Alpine)

Electric Guitar and bass (Gibson Firebird and Thunderbird)

The Egg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

So, since people stack cups competitively, emptying the dishwasher is a sport?

:huh:     .....uuhhh. 

No

Those are distinct activities. In order:

A (rather odd) Sport; and a tedious Chore. 

I've never seen you attempt either one but  if they seem that alike to you, I am forced to hazard to guess that you are doing at least one of them wrong...   :poke:

• Like 3